The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AA Panel Truck Rarity (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252549)

Mthunder15 10-05-2018 07:48 AM

AA Panel Truck Rarity

Any ideas how rare a AA Panel Truck (1930/1931) is?

I hope to look at one this weekend and before I commit to a major project I want to know about the rarity of this truck.

Thanks for the help.

Neil Wilson 10-05-2018 08:39 AM

Re: AA Panel Truck Rarity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mthunder15 (Post 1682368)
Any ideas how rare a AA Panel Truck (1930/1931) is?

I hope to look at one this weekend and before I commit to a major project I want to know about the rarity of this truck.

Thanks for the help.

FYI - There were three AA panel type trucks (85-B, 210-A, 300-A) - see http://aafords.com/closed-bodies/. Not many of any exist today. 85-B is the most common.

1930artdeco 10-05-2018 09:19 AM

There is a gentleman in the NAPA club who has one-actually I think he has two or at least the other is an AA as well. I had never seen one up until the national when he drove his down.

Mike

NZ28ModelA 10-05-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Wilson (Post 1682385)
FYI - There were three AA panel type trucks (85-B, 210-A, 300-A) - see http://aafords.com/closed-bodies/. Not many of any exist today. 85-B is the most common.

This may be a silly question, but, I followed that link and looked at the first two pictures and i noticed the first truck had the wheel rims offset outwards, while the common theme i have seen, like the second picture shows them offset inwards. Are they reversible?

Neil Wilson 10-05-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ28ModelA (Post 1682557)
This may be a silly question, but, I followed that link and looked at the first two pictures and i noticed the first truck had the wheel rims offset outwards, while the common theme i have seen, like the second picture shows them offset inwards. Are they reversible?

First picture is an 1929 85-A panel delivery with 1929 standard 20” disc (concave face – six openings) wheels. The 85-A was produced into June 1930. Starting January 1930 the 20” disc (convex face – five openings) wheels were used. The 85-B panel delivery started production in June 1930 and came with the 20” disc (convex face – five openings) wheels.

More on wheels at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1000-wheels/#w

31Cabriolet68-C 10-05-2018 06:00 PM

What a great set of images!!!

You really gotta smile at those custom commercial jobs: Model A Paddy Wagons, stretched-out custom hearses, all-white ambulances!!!!! Go Henry, go!

Are some of them wearing Ford AA WIRE wheels?!? And those hubcaps!! Really rare birds...
I have to wonder if even a single set of those amazing looking Ford-script commercial hubcaps survived...
Question: since I'm pretty sure I see one of the vehicles sporting a set of tires with really wide whitewalls on all four 'faces' of their sidewalls, I'm wondering if AA wire wheels, those wild (painted?) hubcaps, and the four-sided W/W tires, were ever Ford-authorized commercial vehicle options?
(Guess I should crack open my 'Standards'...)
Thanks, John

Neil Wilson 10-05-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C (Post 1682576)
What a great set of images!!!

You really gotta smile at those custom commercial jobs: Model A Paddy Wagons, stretched-out custom hearses, all-white ambulances!!!!! Go Henry, go!

Are some of them wearing Ford AA WIRE wheels?!? And those hubcaps!! Really rare birds...
I have to wonder if even a single set of those amazing looking Ford-script commercial hubcaps survived...
Question: since I'm pretty sure I see one of the vehicles sporting a set of tires with really wide whitewalls on all four 'faces' of their sidewalls, I'm wondering if AA wire wheels, those wild (painted?) hubcaps, and the four-sided W/W tires, were ever Ford-authorized commercial vehicle options?
(Guess I should crack open my 'Standards'...)
Thanks, John

The 1928 AA's (through January 1929) had steel spoke wheels. In 1931, the steel spoke wheels had a bigger bolt pattern and required unique wheel hubs. White wall tires were not standard and I don't know if they could be factory ordered. But dealers could have put them on for customers. I have seen pictures of a few 1931 AA's with the wire wheels and hub caps (yes, Ford standard on a few of the closed body types).

ronn 10-06-2018 05:51 AM

All of the big trucks are pretty rare. They were worn out and discarded.

Cape Codder 10-11-2018 06:59 PM

Mthunder15
So did you buy the AA Panel. Was it the one on Craig's List located on Long Island, N.Y. ? If you bought it how about some pictures?

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-12-2018 12:43 PM

The REALLY RARE Model a is the one that does EVERYTHING PROPERLY!!!
Bill W.
[/B]

gz 10-12-2018 05:29 PM

"In 1931, the steel spoke wheels had a bigger bolt pattern and required unique wheel hubs. White wall tires were not standard and I don't know if they could be factory ordered. But dealers could have put them on for customers. I have seen pictures of a few 1931 AA's with the wire wheels and hub caps (yes, Ford standard on a few of the closed body types)."

FYI and For What It's Worth: These are the same wire wheels used on 1929-1930 Lincoln Model L. Different hubcap, but same wheel. I guess Ford thought he could dress up some of the fancier, late AAs but adding a touch of Lincoln. Or he had a lot of leftover Model L Lincoln wheels laying around....

blgitn 10-14-2018 08:10 AM

I thought the Lincoln 20" wheels were drop center, while the 20" AA wheels had a lock ring. Same size hub caps though. Am I mistaken?

Neil Wilson 10-14-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blgitn (Post 1685343)
I thought the Lincoln 20" wheels were drop center, while the 20" AA wheels had a lock ring. Same size hub caps though. Am I mistaken?

Your are correct (not the same wheel).