The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mel Gross cast iron brake drums (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192428)

Maclab58 03-25-2016 06:20 PM

Mel Gross cast iron brake drums

1 Attachment(s)
I want to give Mel Gross model A parts an attaboy! I sent my old hubs and shoes to Randy Gross for new cast iron drums and bonded shoes. He received them last Friday and had them back to me yesterday(Thursday). The shoes were arched to the drums and each shoe set was packed with their drum in a plastic bag. The drums were lightly oiled to prevent rusting. The quality of his work is outstanding! As for cost, VERY reasonable. It was a pleasure doing business with Randy!

kevinmac/toledo 03-25-2016 07:51 PM

Re: Mel Gross cast iron brake drums

ive purchased set of drums from him ...very happy with items...he was looking for steering collums to buy ,but that was years ago

BudP 03-25-2016 10:16 PM

I have been very pleased with my cast iron drums and bonded shoes that I got from Randy Gross over a year ago. Additionally, he is readily available on the telephone to offer knowledgeable advice should one encounter an unexpected problem.

Bill in SoCal 03-25-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudP (Post 1265241)
I have been very pleased with my cast iron drums and bonded shoes that I got from Randy Gross over a year ago. Additionally, he is readily available on the telephone to offer knowledgeable advice should one encounter an unexpected problem.

What you said - me too! Bill

C26Pinelake 03-25-2016 10:54 PM

He learned well from his father! Wayne

H. L. Chauvin 03-25-2016 11:01 PM

These guys are the best of the best.

Years ago I called to seek their advice "prior" to removing old original steel drums from original hubs .... glad I did ..... Mr. Mel told me to mail the steel drums "with" the hubs .... and how to mail them.

They were mailed back with what I thought was Tuna Fish cans on the hubs ..... Mr. Mel informed me back then that they were Cat Food cans.

Ron Lachniet 03-26-2016 06:32 AM

I got my brake drums from Randy last month and it was a pleasure dealing with such fine people. The drums are working great and if spring arrives we can start putting on some miles. I hope you all have a happy Easter.

updraught 03-26-2016 06:59 AM

Looks like the ones I just received. Each drum was in a heavy duty plastic bag packed in a box with heaps of poly strapping. Survived the high seas for a couple of months no problem.

wgmatt 03-26-2016 09:02 AM

I have had all of my drums replaced by Randy as well as the backing plates rebuilt. Superb work. I also installed an F100 steering gear that Randy rebuilt. It fit perfectly and works great. I wish he did more parts as they would be perfect.

raprice 03-26-2016 11:13 AM

I bought my cast iron drums from Bratton's a couple of years ago and was wondering if those drums were from Mr. Gross. I've been extremely pleased with the quality of my drums and shoes.
Rog

apbright 03-26-2016 07:07 PM

I have >10,000 miles on drums from Randy, and have been trouble-free. If I understand right, he has taken over the business from his dear father, Mel. Randy has for me twice done drums and shoes, and once a full set of backing plates, in quick time, and at reasonable prices. Would only all businesses be as effective as his.

Well, for 100% disclosure, one drum got warped because I over tightened the shoes (the front left). A local shop was able to re-turn the drum, and I have been happy again - that was about 2k miles ago.

1929 03-26-2016 08:27 PM

agree, Randy has good products and service.

olut 03-27-2016 03:31 PM

OK, it looks, Randy can do it all. Well, who is Randy, does he have a website ?

I am in some sort of trouble with my front brake drums of my 1930 Fordor Town Sedan Delux Briggs, the entire front brakes are completely redone, new drums from MACs but when decelerating the vehicle with moderate brake force, the brakes rattle with serious vibrations throughout the entire front suspension up to the brake pedal. I had the same problem after redoing the brakes but keeping the old drums, so I decided, I go for new ones. The rattling comes from one spot of a full turn, where either the distance to the shoes gets closer or the surface is different.

any ideas ??
Best Greetings
Albert

Synchro909 03-27-2016 04:01 PM

I'm a little surprised that Randy uses bonded linings. From my experience, bonded linings are too hard and don't work so well. I'm putting woven linings on with rivets. Hope they are better than my bonded ones.
If Randy has a website, I too would like to know it so I can follow up.

inex01 03-27-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1266141)
I'm a little surprised that Randy uses bonded linings. From my experience, bonded linings are too hard and don't work so well. I'm putting woven linings on with rivets. Hope they are better than my bonded ones.
If Randy has a website, I too would like to know it so I can follow up.

My understanding is that Bonded works better with cast drums and woven works best with steel, I use bonded on my Slant Sedan with cast and they stop perfectly and use woven on my Roadster with steel which also stops very well but do fade, not a real problem because the Roadster is not used much and when it is I am very aware of this and drive accordingly :eek:

H. L. Chauvin 03-27-2016 04:37 PM

Just one (1) actual experience.

Mr. Mel Gross recommended "only" ........ "his" installed bonded brakes for my Model A which are working great after (6) to (7) years.

Now. as far as different Model A Forum opinions heard on bonded brakes ..... there are look alike bonded brakes and look alike BONDED BRAKES ...... just like look alike women and look alike LADIES.

I remember a Franchise Company about 45 years ago named "BIG Brakes" who advertised to give a "Life of the Car" warranty on their brake jobs.

After about 3,000 miles I was on just about all four (4) wheels almost "Iron to Iron".

When I went to Big Brake, I was so very lucky:

The customer ahead of me was in Bermuda Shorts with no shirt on, tattoos all over, head to foot, pony tail, smoking hand-rolled left-hand cigarettes, all ribs exposed, with half his teeth missing, and he was there at Big Brake for his 3rd replacement of Big Brake bonded linings.

After he shoved his 38 Caliber Police Special Pistol Barrel "way" up the owner's nostril, the owner immediately promised to call the local dealership to buy linings from the dealer in lieu of using his pre-engineered cheap Bid Brake Linings.

He called the dealer for mine also; and about 150,000 miles later, I sold my car with the Big Brake installed "Car Dealer's" bonded linings ..... thanks to the guy with the pistol ....... with his Bermuda Shorts hanging way down low below his belt line exposing a vertical linear part of the gluteus maximus part of his anatomy.

Word on Big Brake soon spread like wild fire ....... after a month or so this Big Brake Shop had a For Sale Sign on it.

Life was so easy back then when we could "freely & physically" sincerely communicate with other people.

apbright 03-27-2016 06:38 PM

Indeed, perhaps a downside of Randy is that he does not have a website (a good opportunity there probably for a Barner's tech-savvy son or grandson, or indeed daughter). Meanwhile, a few minutes' phone call with Randy (PM him for his number) should get things arranged.

Jeff/Illinois 03-27-2016 07:39 PM

This is good to hear I'll be needing a set in the near future.

I wondered also if maybe Walt Bratton sourced his drums and arced shoes from Randy:confused:

RandyinUtah 03-28-2016 12:21 AM

I don't know where Walt Bratten gets his brake drums but I purchased a full set of brake drums and new hubs a few years back and I am very pleased with both. I did use the soft linings.

Ed Saniewski 03-28-2016 06:11 AM

I also have two sets of Mr. Gross's cast iron drums,but I could not get them to center properly. I tried and tried, then when I mentioned it at a club meeting, a few members came up o me and suggested I switch to woven shoes. I did and have not had a problem since. I wish there was a choice on shoes when ordering drums from Mr. Gross.