The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gravity bends a crank? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170060)

jonf 05-31-2015 04:06 PM

Gravity bends a crank?

I had my crank reground 4 or 5 years ago and put it in a box to store it. the box is resting on the floor and the crank inside is parallel to the floor. Is there any truth that all crankshafts should be store vertically?:confused:

Kube 05-31-2015 04:09 PM

Re: Gravity bends a crank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonf (Post 1095338)
I had my crank reground 4 or 5 years ago and put it in a box to store it. the box is resting on the floor and the crank inside is parallel to the floor. Is there any truth that all crankshafts should be store vertically?:confused:

Yes. I would definitly check it carefully before you decide to use it. In the meantime, stand it up!

zedbyers 05-31-2015 04:11 PM

agreed, there is truth to this, if it is not properly supported while being stored horizontally.

JSeery 05-31-2015 04:22 PM

This is one of the topics that there is little agreement on, but most believe that the sagging crank theory is a myth. Easy enough to check, run a gauge on it and see what you have.

uncle max 05-31-2015 04:32 PM

I'm concerned now... Will climate change bend my crank?

rheltzel 05-31-2015 05:09 PM

No, but if global warming causes the seas to rise enough to flood Salt Lake City, it will rust.

jonf 05-31-2015 05:18 PM

Well OK then. I will rotate the box 180* and wait another couple of years. If it is sagging this should fix it.

19Fordy 05-31-2015 05:19 PM

Uncle max, The coefficient of thermal expansion of steel is such that unless the extreme temperature is sustained, thereby not permitting the crank to return to its nominal size, the distortion will remain. At least that's my view.
Think of a rail road track expanding during summer and contracting during winter.
I just realized you are joking?

zedbyers 05-31-2015 05:22 PM

on larger (non-automotive) engines, you have jacking gear to turn them over slowly after they have been sitting for a while to remove any distortion from gravity, and this is a crank that is supported. no doubt in my mind that same doesn't happen to an unsupported one. the question becomes what is tolerable. may never even notice it? i can't answer that. but i have to believe that there is measurable change there. if it were a 9000 rpm racing engine, there is probably something to be worried about. these engines, maybe not.

BILL WZOREK 05-31-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonf (Post 1095372)
Well OK then. I will rotate the box 180* and wait another couple of years. If it is sagging this should fix it.

It all depends how many Leap years were in the laying down cycle :eek:

Old Henry 05-31-2015 05:37 PM

I would think that if gravity bends a crank laying on its side too long that standing it on end too long will cause its diameter to spread. . . kinda like my diameter has spread from standing on my end too many years. :rolleyes:

ford38v8 05-31-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old henry (Post 1095392)
i would think that if gravity bends a crank laying on its side too long that standing it on end too long will cause its diameter to spread. . . Kinda like my diameter has spread from sitting on my end too many years. :rolleyes:

fify

V8COOPMAN 05-31-2015 06:03 PM

I had to look that one up, Alan. DD

ford38v8 05-31-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1095405)
I had to look that one up, Alan. DD

http://www.urbandictionary.com

V8COOPMAN 05-31-2015 06:08 PM

I got 'er figured-out......had just never seen that one before. What the heck do I know? DD

tubman 05-31-2015 06:09 PM

I have always been amazed at discussions like this. Here's a crankshaft that can take the firing impulses running in an engine for 90-100K miles, and some prople wwill think it will bend sitting on a floor? Give me a break!

V8COOPMAN 05-31-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1095409)
I have always been amazed at discussions like this. Here's a crankshaft that can take the firing impulses running in an engine for 90-100K miles, and some prople wwill think it will bend sitting on a floor? Give me a break!

Soooo, are ya saying cranks don't twist with each firing impulse? There's a difference between "bend", "twist" and "yield point". You ever think about what a harmonic balancer does in conjunction with a crank? DD

FrankWest 05-31-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1095409)

Gravity is considerably weaker than the forces that hold matter together. The nuclear force being the greatest. You would think the bonds of the molecules in the metal would be many orders of magnitude greater than the pull of gravity on a small tab.
Perhaps it the tab was over a foot then with time it could sag under its weight, and long distance to its connection to the shaft!

rowens55 05-31-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWest (Post 1095415)
Gravity is considerably weaker than the forces that hold matter together. The nuclear force being the greatest. You would think the bonds of the molecules in the metal would be many orders of magnitude greater than the pull of gravity on a small tab.
Perhaps it the tab was over a foot then with time it could sag under its weight, and long distance to its connection to the shaft!

Man, you fellers is SMART !!!! By th way, what's a "molyquals"?

rheltzel 05-31-2015 06:41 PM

Molly Cules...she worked at the cafeteria next to the crankshaft foundry at the Rouge plant. Was said to have inspired the workers to make sure their crankshafts were always straight, even if they were laid flat.