The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   green engine paint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277420)

Tom Endy 03-01-2020 03:31 PM

green engine paint

Does anyone know of a Model A supplier that still has a supply of green Ford engine paint in a spray can. Bratton's is completely out and his supplier has gone out of business.

Tom Endy

whirnot 03-01-2020 04:04 PM

Re: green engine paint

Pretty sure Berts has it. The last time I bought some, was from Amazon. Pioneer antique Ford engine paint.
Exact same as what I bought from suppliers before

Dave in MN 03-01-2020 04:24 PM

Tom,
I buy it by the case at Snyder’s for the engines I rebuild. The have a good product.
Good Day!

Charlie Stephens 03-01-2020 05:32 PM

For what it is worth, I have always had better results with the brush on paint.

Charlie Stephens

37 Coupe 03-02-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1857644)

Charlie Stephens

The paint that Brattons sells to brush on is ,I think Bill Hirsch paint.Really tough paint that applied with a good brush or foam applicator dries like sprayed on.

Roxo 03-02-2020 09:23 AM

I'm told the brush on paint is more durable than that in a rattle can. Brush on paint has more hardeners than spray cans and would be a harder and more durable paint.

rrich1 03-02-2020 09:49 PM

Im currently brush painting my engine right now. I wanted the ability to have more control with the application as the engine is still in the truck. The only downside is the nooks and crannies that spray paint would be better at getting in to. I have read the spray Antique Ford Country paint sold by a lot of the suppliers is greener than the brush on paint. I personally like the color of the brush paint as it isnt as hunter green but with a little gray tint to it. A thing I might do is grab a can of the spray to help get a base coat on and then get it fully covered with the brush paint.

I bought mine from Mikes affordable a.

chap52 03-03-2020 08:42 AM

My son is a custom car builder and shared this little tip with me. Instead of "taping" nuts, bolts and other parts you don't want painted when you apply the paint, use aluminum foil to wrap the "to be protected" item. Works great and easier to remove...
"Enjoy the adventure"... Chap

Steve Plucker 03-03-2020 09:24 AM

If Bratton's is out of their Green Engine paint and can not get it any more, then we got to rely on another company for their brand...This could mean that the shade of green used by Brattons just may be different than the other suppliers.

Now you are faced with two shades of Green Engine Paint IF you are going for show...But...Oh well...So Henry changed the green paint formula slightly as parts were going down the assembly line!...what now?...Live with it or repaint everything.

Pluck

Bob Bidonde 03-03-2020 10:33 AM

Way back when NOS parts were much more commonplace, I remember that 1928 and some 1929 parts were a lighter green - green than the blueish-green seen on NOS parts of 1930 & '31 vintage.

Ernie Vitucci 03-03-2020 10:43 AM

Good Morning...Space Age Paint in Mesa, Arizona, will put all of their paints into rattle cans. You might check with them. They have been very helpful to me over the last 20 years or so. Phone 480-835-0791. Ernie in Arizona

Seth Swoboda 03-03-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1857644)

Charlie Stephens

That is correct. Brush it on with a foam brush and you will get better coverage and it looks like it was sprayed on.

jim1932 03-03-2020 09:19 PM

I get mine from Bill Hirsch. I thought that was what brattons was selling.

Tom Endy 03-04-2020 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1932 (Post 1858361)
I get mine from Bill Hirsch. I thought that was what brattons was selling.

According to Walt Bratton Hirsch went out of business when his factory was recently destroyed by a fire. That is why Bratton's does not stock green paint anymore. Anyone else that was supplied by Hirsch is in the same situation.

Tom Endy

old31 03-04-2020 07:58 AM

I get my paint from Snyder and always thought Hirsch was way too expensive.

I also like the look of brush on better.

chrs1961815 03-04-2020 08:43 AM

I mix my own for spraying in single stage with the color coming from the MAFCA paint chip book. Mind you they put a lot of research into that book and it is regarded as correct. I do not know how the Bill Hirsch compares. Looks great and I think it holds up better.

1931 flamingo 03-04-2020 01:52 PM

Try Mike Driscoll at 3rd Gen, he posts on the EV8 Forum, he's the one who bought Roy Nasci..... business after his passing.
Paul in CT