The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A shops (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313856)

Pete 05-28-2022 10:09 PM

Model A shops

It is a sad day in Model A shops across the country.
Lufkin has announced they will not be making their prized yardsticks any longer . It is the company's feeling that they have made them long enough. 36" is still a yard.

31a 05-28-2022 10:58 PM

Re: Model A shops

Thats Bab really bad but funny

updraught 05-29-2022 01:43 AM

Well, yeah.

It's about time they changed to meter ones. Nobody uses yards any more.

Dinosaur stuff.

Oldbluoval 05-29-2022 04:00 AM

USA tried the metric thingy…..
Went over like a lead balloon. You may keep it down under!

Synchro909 05-29-2022 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 2133831)
USA tried the metric thingy…..
Went over like a lead balloon. You may keep it down under!

Not just "down under" but pretty much the whole of the rest of the world. The US needs to catch up.

Oldbluoval 05-29-2022 04:52 AM

We’re just fine. I don’t see going metric is doing a “catch up”? Marching to the rest of the world does intrigue most Americans ….
As said we’re in great shape for the shape we’re in! Like the rest of the world?

jack backer 05-29-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 2133832)
Not just "down under" but pretty much the whole of the rest of the world. The US needs to catch up.

Bear and rabbit doing their business in the woods. Bear asks rabbit if he has a problem with shit sticking to his fur … rabbit says no Bear says good, picks up rabbit and wipes himself.

Moral of story? We use the yard cause we want too..does shit stick to your fur?

LeonardS 05-29-2022 05:54 AM

I agree that metric sucks. Glad I’m in the good ole USA! The rest of the world can keep their metric ways.

Oldbluoval 05-29-2022 06:04 AM

I often end up having to use/convert to decimals in machining anyway. But that is a derivative of inches.
Any suggestions for that Synchro?
Am I going backward with that too?
Meters, liters, mm, ….pass

slatgrille 05-29-2022 06:56 AM

I was a Technology (Industrial Arts) teacher for 28 years. First lessons were always how to measure using the English system. The Science teacher would always have the kids 'rib' me about teaching metrics instead. My response was to have them ask him how much he weighed, his pants size, and how far from school he lived.....

I guaranteed the kids the answers would be in lbs., inches, and miles (or feet) or else he had to look up the conversion!

Think our economy is bad now?....wait until the Metric system is mandated!

Craig

Bob Bidonde 05-29-2022 07:16 AM

All you need to remember is that 1mm=0.0394" or for quick estimating, 1mm = 0.04".

Bruce of MN 05-29-2022 07:17 AM

I believe that ratchet wrench drives in metric countries are 3/8", 1/2", etc. Also, the metric pipe thread standard is from the hallowed UK BSP standard. Then it would follow that metric pipe is the same dimensions as US: https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_...able_15039.htm

On the other hand, at work, I did a concrete foundation takeoff in metric and I was shocked how fast it was, compared to dealing with feet and inches. At least the engineers didn't have foundations dimensioned to fractions of an inch!

We stand with non-metric Myanmar!

51504bat 05-29-2022 08:09 AM

Had any kitchen cabinets made lately? The a lot ofhigh end stuff is metric based. You may not like metric but its here. Many more important issues facing us than metric vs. U.S. measuring. And why limit it to just Metric? How about the old British Standard Whitworth system? Get out your spanners and work under the bonnet?

bavArian 05-29-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slatgrille (Post 2133853)
wait until the Metric system is mandated!

I sincerely hope that was a joke. :D
Do you really believe the metric system will be replaced? If the answer to that question is yes, I recommend taking a look at almost any other place in the world besides the US. :rolleyes:

It will still take a long time, but someday (probably far in the future) the US will be adapting the metric system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 2133865)
I believe that ratchet wrench drives in metric countries are 3/8", 1/2", etc. Also, the metric pipe thread standard is from the hallowed UK BSP standard.

Correct, you've named the only 2 exceptions that come to my mind. Many pipe- and hose-threads are metric fine thread as well, it kinda depends on where the pipe is used.

Oldbluoval 05-29-2022 09:24 AM

All you need to remember is that 1mm=0.0394

And keep a calculator handy?!

Ruth 05-29-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 2133891)
All you need to remember is that 1mm=0.0394

And keep a calculator handy?!

Exactly what I was thinking.

johnneilson 05-29-2022 09:49 AM

I have been told the Metric system will be accepted for the last 40 years here in the US. I guess it will take some time.

I use both standards of units in machining, it doesn't matter, you just have to adapt.

But, I will keep my Lufkin Yard stick, just for when I have to work on the Model "A".

John

PS, better than a calculator there are many conversion programs or aps available which will make conversions easier.

denis4x4 05-29-2022 09:51 AM

Almost twenty years ago, I purchased the entire inventory of nuts and bolts from a hardware store going out of business. This included a great selection of metric hardware. From time to time, I will use metric nuts and bolts on my Model A's as my supply of standard hardware is depleted. Next owner of these cars will have to wonder as he tries to remove something with standard wrenches and sockets.

Big hammer 05-29-2022 10:15 AM

Metwrench tools fits us standard and metric! they grip the flats and not the corners!

Flathead 05-29-2022 11:26 AM

So they won't be making them any longer..........