The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mercury crank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271119)

fordwife 10-18-2019 11:53 AM

Mercury crank

How do you identify the difference between a 049-53 ford crank and a mercury 'crank? I've forgotten, its been too long.

RalphM 10-18-2019 12:09 PM

Re: Mercury crank

Clean out plug on the front will be five eights inch diameter, is the best way

Tim Ayers 10-18-2019 12:19 PM

The counter weight width as well. I forgot the measurement, but if I recall correctly, the Merc crank counter weight is approx. .500" wider than a Ford crank. Something like 6" in total width at the widest part for a Merc crank seems to ring a bell.

bbrocksr 10-18-2019 01:13 PM

A Merc crank is 12" longer than a Ford crank. REALLY?

A merc counterweight is 6" wide, a Ford counterweight is 5 3/4 wide is what I think he meant.

Bill

Tim Ayers 10-18-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrocksr (Post 1811008)

A merc counterweight is 6" wide, a Ford counterweight is 5 3/4 wide is what I think he meant.

Bill

Haha. I meant to say the width of the counter weight is 1/2" wider. I'll correct it. It's been a long day.

Tim Ayers 10-18-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrocksr (Post 1811008)

Bill

Yes, thanks Bill.

GOSFAST 10-18-2019 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have about 10 Flathead Ford/Merc cranks here at the moment. All are 8BA style, later pieces!

They both measure about 7.000" across the front c/weights, if there is any difference it is immeasurable with a conventional ruler.

The plugs are another story, the Merc is .625" (5/8") like mentioned above. These actually lend themselves very well with this size to drill & tap fpr a 3/8" NPT pipe plug, requires no add'l drilling. We do these all the time!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of a Merc on one of our balancers now getting balanced. On the left I wrote the dimension (7.000") in "chalk" to show the span of the c'weight, on the right that single line shows the pressed-in oil plug, it measures 5/8". I can supply a shot of the front c'weight on the 239" Ford also if necessary?

Tim Ayers 10-18-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1811019)
I have about 10 Flathead Ford/Merc cranks here at the moment. All are 8BA style, later pieces!

They both measure about 7.000" across the front c/weights, if there is any difference it is immeasurable with a conventional ruler.

The plugs are another story, the Merc is .625" (5/8") like mentioned above. These actually lend themselves very well with this size to drill & tap fpr a 3/8" NPT pipe plug, requires no add'l drilling. We do these all the time!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of a Merc on one of our balancers now getting balanced. On the left I wrote the dimension (7.000") in "chalk" to show the span of the c'weight, on the right that single line shows the pressed-in oil plug, it measures 5/8". I can supply a shot of the front c'weight on the 239" Ford also if necessary?

Gary: Check the width of the 2nd counter weight in from the one with the chalk line. Is there a difference between the two widths of this weight? That's the one I've always checked.

r_reed 10-18-2019 02:18 PM

i built a simple v shaped rack, rotated the crank and measured the stroke. since the difference is a 1/4" it is not hard to tell.

bbrocksr 10-18-2019 02:19 PM

That's where the difference is, the second counterweight the thick one.

Bill

Ronnieroadster 10-18-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1811022)
Gary: Check the width of the 2nd counter weight in from the one with the chalk line. Is there a difference between the two widths of this weight? That's the one I've always checked.

Well anyone who has spent time building lots of Flathead s should know the second counterweight is wider on the Merc crank than the Ford! Heck the difference is plenty enough to see without measuring if you build enough of them. Not to mention the cranks are not the same weight just saying. Another detail to mention not all Merc crankshafts have 5/8" oil plugs I have seen 1/4" on a few also.
Ronnieroadster

Tim Ayers 10-18-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 1811050)
Well anyone who has spent time building lots of Flathead s should know the second counterweight is wider on the Merc crank than the Ford! Heck the difference is plenty enough to see without measuring if you build enough of them. Not to mention the cranks are not the same weight just saying. Another detail to mention not all Merc crankshafts have 5/8" oil plugs I have seen 1/4" on a few also.
Ronnieroadster

Ron,

Have you found that the extra weight impacts fuel economy in any way?

GOSFAST 10-18-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1811022)

Hi Tim, the "span" across the second c/weight (where I have the 7.000" number in my photo) measures 5.750" on the 239" 8BA's, the 255" Merc (on the balancer) measures 6.000". Now, the "thickness" of the c/weight is the same on both, nominally speaking it is just above 2.000", probably 2.050" or so?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 1811050)
Ronnieroadster

Hi Ronnie, in ALL my years of building/dynoing these Flatties, I can't even really recall ever doing an OEM 239", so yes, we are very limited with our knowledge about that particular shaft. I have a bunch here now that we've taken in on "trades" (at least a 1/2 dozen or more just recently) but not sure tonight I ever built a single one, there was never a market around here for that size.

To add to that, other than that OEM Merc shaft you see on the balancer tonight in my photo, the last time I recall building an OEM 255" Merc was back probably about 15 or 20 years ago, somewhere in that time frame anyway! It was our first build using the OEM shaft but with the Eagle H-beam rods (conventional rod journals, not the 2.000" ones) and learned on that build that their rods were absolutely no good to us. Haven't used a single one since then!

Hope this clears some of the questions up??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Back in the late '80's and into the early '90's were doing the ALL the machining on an average of 10/15 blocks per year. At that time I was tied in with a close friend who did nothing but Flatheads, he also did nothing but the Merc's. We did do a bunch of 4.125" stroker cranks for him, but all were on the OEM Merc shafts! Grinding the 255" cranks for this stroke was very popular back then, today we use everything new (Eagle cranks/Scat rods/Ross pistons). I just learned today Eagle supposedly only has 8 (4.250") shafts in inventory, we are considering taking all 8??

Ronnieroadster 10-18-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1811072)
Ron,

Have you found that the extra weight impacts fuel economy in any way?

Fuel economy will be affected by the weight difference but I have found a faster speed caused by this additional weight gets you to the gas pump faster :D

Pete 10-18-2019 07:00 PM

Besides all of that, I discovered in the mid 50's that some Merc cranks are cast steel and most are cast iron. The steel ones were obviously the better choice for welded strokers.

Ol' Ron 10-18-2019 08:49 PM

I think the Canadian Nerc cranks had a 3/8 oil plug.

Mart 10-19-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 1811114)
Fuel economy will be affected by the weight difference but I have found a faster speed caused by this additional weight gets you to the gas pump faster :D

Where's then "like" button?

glennpm 10-19-2019 07:26 AM

Here's a good article by Bill Boomer I came across a few years ago about the Merc crank identification.

http://myflatheadford.com/identify-4...ry-crankshaft/

Desoto291Hemi 10-25-2019 09:33 PM

Hey Gary,
Do you recommend to tap the front weight for a pipe plug instead of a press in plug?

Tommy

GOSFAST 10-26-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi (Post 1813961)
Hey Gary,
Do you recommend to tap the front weight for a pipe plug instead of a press in plug?

Tommy

Hi Tom, without a doubt, have all 4 tapped. The nice part about the Merc's starting with the 5/8" plugs is they don't need drilling, they're already the correct size to just tap for the 3/8" NPT thread!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. In all my time doing these builds we've literally done hundreds of those crank holes, more than 90% were Merc's, we did some Ford's way back in time.