The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steel or Brass Brake Lining Rivets (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265294)

Steve Plucker 06-22-2019 08:27 PM

Steel or Brass Brake Lining Rivets

Some Brake Lining kits come with Steel rivets, some with brass...Originally they were Brass...What is your preference?

Pluck

Doug Linden 06-22-2019 08:34 PM

Re: Steel or Brass Brake Lining Rivets

I use the brass rivets, my reasoning is that the soft brass rivet is less likely to damage my cast iron drum if the brake shoe wore down far enough.
Now, having said that, I am in the process of redoing my brakes and I purchased bonded/molded linings from Randy Gross this time around. No rivets this time.

CWPASADENA 06-22-2019 08:47 PM

I also would recommend brass for the same reasons.

Chris W.

Railcarmover 06-22-2019 10:00 PM

from a mechanics point of view brass is easier to service.

Mike V. Florida 06-23-2019 04:05 AM

Brass for the above reasons.

kenparker 06-23-2019 06:39 AM

I do lots of drums for the local guys. Brass for the above reasons.

Purdy Swoft 06-23-2019 07:28 AM

I prefer brass rivets for the above reasons .

wilfbrad 02-07-2021 11:26 AM

Has anyone used pop rivets for brake linings

bobbader 02-07-2021 12:43 PM

Pop rivets would be a No-No as far as I'm concerned. Standard brake lining rivets are meant to be swaged only tight enough that the lining is snug to the shoe. If applied by machine (foot powered, electrical, or by hand in a vice) there are means of adjusting that tension so the each rivet is set with the same force. Pop rivets, again by hand or by machine, clinch the rivet in place with the tightest possible force until the stud breaks. This may cause undo compression of the brake lining at each rivet hole which, in turn, will result in the surface of the lining being uneven. The lining will have hills and valleys on the top surface where they hit the drums. This can be cured by arcing the drums if possible. But, there will also be uneven surfaces on the underside of the lining where it hits the brake shoe. Those areas under the rivets will be extremely tight whereas the areas in between the rivet segments may actually have a space between the lining and the shoe. Even if the shoes are arced, this uneven mating of the lining to the shoe may cause issues during prolonged heavy breaking situations. I do a lot of brake relining for Fords and other brands as fed me by another area shop. Proper application is more crucial than what might seem the ease of pop riveting.

To each his own. Good luck however you go about it . Bob Bader

Oldbluoval 02-07-2021 04:15 PM

Pop rivets would make me very uneasy if I were depending on them!!!