The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I May Have Found a New Rodent Control (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218415)

Tom Wesenberg 04-09-2017 08:47 PM

I May Have Found a New Rodent Control

Two weeks ago my neighbor called to tell me he was out to eat with his wife and her mother, and he brought me supper in a doggy bag. What he brought was 3 large slabs of fried liver. I called him up and said "you're a funny guy Joe, now I have to find some dog that will eat this."

Every rodent I kill I put in the middle of the front yard, and fox or cats will eat it during the night, or birds during the day. This liver has been out there for two weeks and nothing will touch it. I'm going to move them to the rear yard and see if it will keep the deer away. :D

Marshall V. Daut 04-09-2017 08:56 PM

Re: I May Have Found a New Rodent Control

Would YOU eat liver if you didn't have to??? YUCH!!! :)
Marshall

Mitch//pa 04-09-2017 09:14 PM

Chicken livers are a delicacy.

Jeff/Illinois 04-09-2017 09:32 PM

When I was a kid, my Dad, whose mother was from the Saar region in SW Germany near Bayern (Bavaria), tricked me into eating BraunSchweiger said 'all that means in German is 'brown sausage'.

O-K sounds allright to me. Never gave a thought to what made the stuff brown.Years later when I found out it was Leberwurst or LIVER SAUSAGE I about gagged. Never ate it again.

Tom's friend should never have told him what it really was, should have said it was just brown sandwich spread and he would have wolfed it right down:)

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-09-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1455382)

Must run in the FAMILY, LOVE them things, boiled or battered & deep fried, with LOTS of onions:D
I even puree' them & add it to brown gravy:D or use it for a chip dip:D
Dad Hungry

Larry Jenkins 04-09-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

All our family members line up at the door for my Wife's chicken liver pate..

AND, Fresh calves liver with all the gristle and fat removed, fried a tad well done is absolutely marvelous. With fried onions, I just doesn't get any better.

Marshall must have gotten sick on some bad liver when he was a young Model Ayer..

CHuDWah 04-09-2017 09:57 PM

Hate the stuff. Mom used to grind it up and put it in chili to get us to eat it - told us it was hamburger. Tasted kinda funny for hamburger but the chili made it semi-palatable. :D

Terry Longest 04-09-2017 10:08 PM

I think the more you chew it the bigger it gets.

Tom Wesenberg 04-09-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 1455389)
When I was a kid, my Dad, whose mother was from the Saar region in SW Germany near Bayern (Bavaria), tricked me into eating BraunSchweiger said 'all that means in German is 'brown sausage'.

O-K sounds allright to me. Never gave a thought to what made the stuff brown.Years later when I found out it was Leberwurst or LIVER SAUSAGE I about gagged. Never ate it again.

Tom's friend should never have told him what it really was, should have said it was just brown sandwich spread and he would have wolfed it right down:)

I pretty well knew what it was as soon as I saw it, but I took one very tiny bite to be sure. That little bite even messed up my taste buds for 24 hours, because I ate a cantaloupe right after the bite, and told Joe that it didn't taste right, but the other one from the same store two days earlier was great. Well, after a day my taste buds recovered and the rest of the cantaloupe tasted fine.

I am really amazed though that animals won't even eat the liver. :confused:
And I did just move it to the back yard to see if it keeps the deer away.

eagle 04-09-2017 10:29 PM

There is a LOT of difference in liver. Some processors let it hang with the carcass. Inedible!

Elcastor 04-09-2017 10:55 PM

I have had "The Best", (fresh dear liver and onions), and it was still AWFUL!!!

CHuDWah 04-09-2017 11:06 PM

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/cn...kxNV85MDAuZ2lm

Marshall V. Daut 04-09-2017 11:28 PM

I'm a living lover, not a liver lover. :)
M.

Beauford 04-10-2017 02:07 AM

I like it or was forced to like it....what mom cooked dad made sure you ate it all. I've tried chicken livers all over the South. I luv'm!!! As far as mice I have a large black snake in the garage. He doesn't bother me and I don't bother him. I'll snap a photo next time when hes out watching me work on the "A". They also keep the copper heads away which we do not need but have plenty in my parts.

Tom Wesenberg 04-10-2017 04:29 AM

I'll bet it's been over 20 years since I've seen any kind of snake.

I put 2 mouse traps with peanut butter in front of my Model A garage door and caught over 20 mice since last October. So far no sign of mice inside the garage.

Mitch//pa 04-10-2017 05:30 AM

Tom you will have super mice feeding them livers.
Its full of protein:eek:

Mark W. 04-10-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

So are Monkey Brains in some places, still won't eat them...

SeaSlugs 04-10-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. (Post 1455465)
So are Monkey Brains in some places, still won't eat them...

and snails and goose liver and fish eggs

jhowes 04-10-2017 07:20 AM

Before and after getting married, I used to take my girl friend/wife out to dinner and I always ordered liver and onions. She never understood that but we have made it 55 years anyway. Jack

Ted Duke 04-10-2017 08:13 AM

My Mom used to cook beef liver until it was WELL-done and therefore inedible. Much later in life a friend showed how to cook it. You cut it in little finger size strips, roll it in corn meal and drop it in hot grease, flip it once and then put it on a plate (with ketchup in a pile for dipping).

Be quick to get yours, or the kids will have eaten it all by the time you turnoff the stove. LOL