The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   advice needed - what parts to take on a raod trip? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240400)

moonraker 03-07-2018 07:00 AM

advice needed - what parts to take on a raod trip?

I'm thinking of taking the first long (about 1000 mi.) road trip in my '39 Fordor. I'd be very thankfull if you guys give me some advice about what parts I shouldtake with me. I know that some of you take long trips from time to time. What do you take with you?

51 MERC-CT 03-07-2018 07:41 AM

Re: advice needed - what parts to take on a raod trip?

Generally, no matter what parts you take with you, the one you may need you did not take with you. :)

slowforty 03-07-2018 08:04 AM

Generally every spare part you collected for the last ten years. Seriously a Premium AAA card. Good cell phone with a charger and extra power supply. I usually carry an extra fuel pump. both types electric and mechanical. distributor. water pumps,and a generator or alternator depending on what you have. any special tools that you need.Like the large socket for the water pumps. and some hand cleaner and something to lay on, It is just like when you pack for an overnight trip,I bring enough for a week. Dont forget the medical supplies, Pills and hearing aid batteries,(this is age specific)>

Vic Piano 03-07-2018 08:17 AM

I have always taken easily bolt on parts like generator, fan belts, etc. However, the most valuable tools are a cell phone and AAA Card...;)

corvette8n 03-07-2018 08:47 AM

They probably don't have AAA in Russia, but there may be a few EFV8 club members along your route. Electrical and fuel could be your most likely problems, and maybe air in your tires.

Pat/Ohio 03-07-2018 09:28 AM

If you belong to an automobile club (like the Early Ford V-8 Club), take along the roster of members. I always pack my Early Ford V-8 Club and NSRA national club rosters. You never know where your new best friend resides! Hopefully you have a club like these in Russia. Good luck! Pat

Ron Pilger 03-07-2018 09:31 AM

Take along your wife. Then for the two hours that you’re reading your repair manual and wrenching you will have a voice in the background questioning the sanity of loving old cars.

VeryTangled 03-07-2018 10:25 AM

I'll jump in. A fan belt? Tire change gear that works?

Elmo Rodge 03-07-2018 12:05 PM

I always likes the way Rumbleseat did it. Spare parts already boxed and numbered on his bench. A call to his Wife, part shipped. This is above and beyond what we're talking about here but really cool.
Wayno

Kerk 03-07-2018 12:26 PM

If you have tube type tires Take a spare inner tube. ASK me how I know.!! Local tire stores may not have a replacement. Kerk

petehoovie 03-07-2018 12:29 PM

I always pack a Colt on long road trips....

27TV8 03-07-2018 12:42 PM

I recall when Rumbleseat made a visit to my place.
He had more spare items stashed away in that car! Water pumps,which he had used truck pumps and cut off the second pulley with a die grinder so they looked stock! He knew where everything was.
One of the nicest and most knowledgeable people you would ever meet.

Clem Clement 03-07-2018 12:46 PM

Tools you usually use on that car. Beer duct tape and safety wire

Brian 03-07-2018 01:38 PM

Tools I carry are; spare fuel,jack, wheelbrace/crankhandle, and a towrope to assist broken down Chevs I encounter on my route!! I am serious; this is not a joke!

Mart 03-07-2018 01:42 PM

Cable ties. A small socket set with multiple screwdriver tips. A spare float for the carb. tools to take the top off the carb to stop a leaky needle valve. Fuel. Oil. Water. Good adjustable wrench. Vise grips. Fuel line. some wire. spare fuses. A set of bulbs. A handful of various nuts and bolts. A tire inflator - hand pump or electric. A spare key. A good spare wheel and tire. Wheel brace and jack and something to get the hub cap off with. A known good rotor arm. A known good distributor cap. A good set of points. A hammer. Splitpins. A bottle of water. Clean underwear.

Mart.

Edit: Brian's towrope - yeah that's a good one, a pair of jumper cables too.

ford38v8 03-07-2018 01:46 PM

A comprehensive set of tools to do any job that may be required, including tire changes. Cardboard to lay on under the car keeps your clothes clean, hand cleaner and paper towels. Besides a serviceable spare tire, you'll need inner tubes, and a tire pump. A good axle jack is required, and a small plywood platform to support the jack on soft ground. Water pumps, complete with gaskets, radiator hoses and clamps. Carburetor, fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor, and condenser. A flashlight, electrical tape, baling wire, multipurpose tape, and a good first aid kit with vodka.

Charlie Stephens 03-07-2018 02:14 PM

Take a spare of anything you have changed from original and the knowledge of how it works. An example might be electronic ignition parts.

Charlie Stephens

drolston 03-07-2018 03:12 PM

Failure prone parts that you can diagnose and fix beside the road: Coil, distributor, rotor, cap, carb float, float valve, fuel pump, fuel filter, fan belt. That should take care of 95% of breakdowns.

Before you leave, check all hoses and tighten everything.

BUBBAS IGNITION 03-07-2018 03:15 PM

My motto is if ya dont take it you wont need it.......:>)

Brian 03-07-2018 03:28 PM

I like Bubba's philosophy...actually there was once a guy who was going to sail around the world in his yacht. He took so many parts to cater for any problems along the way, that his boat sank!!