The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rainmaker's iron laundry (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96128)

Rainmaker Ron 01-30-2013 03:22 PM

Rainmaker's iron laundry

Over the past 30 plus years I have collected buckets of original Model A bolts and small parts. Like most of us I have used various means to clean the hardware for reuse. For one car or one project, almost any way is acceptable but one coffee can a day won't get it in my case! I put about a gallon of bolts at a time in one of those cheap, plastic concrete mixers from Harbor Frieght with a gallon of Mineral spirits. Tumble about 15 minutes, rinse with water and it is amazing how clean things are. My parts are clean enough to go to my bead blaster then through the blackening process.

I wanted to get these bolts out into the Model A market before they wind up in the scrap. Some will be packaged for Hershey. Jane pointed out that she doesen 't understand the logic of spending 3 days and 300 bucks to sell 100 dollars worth of bolts! Hey woman, you are talking to the Rainmaker, not some old fart setting in his rocking chair on the nursing home porch slobbering on his bib.

Vern 01-30-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Rainmaker's iron laundry

Ahh...that's female logic for ya!

frankvflorida 01-30-2013 04:02 PM

Hello Sir,

My Vicky has a big selection of hardware that I would like to chage out. Body to frame, everything used on the transmission and bell housing, late '31 front frame supports. Can you help out? How much?

H. L. Chauvin 01-30-2013 04:08 PM

Hi Ron & Jane,

Every time I called your Standard Auto Parts, Jane answered whereby for every technical question I asked about parts, Jane would say she knew what Ron would say.

Then I would ask Jane what would Ron say, & she would tell me.

Then she would say here is Ron, whereby I would repeat the same question to you that Jane had just answered.

While most facinating, you always had the exact same answer that she did -- you are indeed a lucky man.

Rainmaker Ron 01-30-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin (Post 581843)
Hi Ron & Jane,

Every time I called your Standard Auto Parts, Jane answered whereby for every technical question I asked about parts, Jane would say she knew what Ron would say.

Then I would ask Jane what would Ron say, & she would tell me.

Then she would say here is Ron, whereby I would repeat the same question to you that Jane had just answered.

While most facinating, you always had the exact same answer that she did -- you are indeed a lucky man.

Those were the days my friend, we hoped they would never end....Rainmaker

Rainmaker Ron 01-30-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankvflorida (Post 581838)
Hello Sir,

My Vicky has a big selection of hardware that I would like to chage out. Body to frame, everything used on the transmission and bell housing, late '31 front frame supports. Can you help out? How much?

Still sorting to do, will start a list of those in need. sort word boltz.
Rainmaker

gweilbaker 01-30-2013 06:17 PM

It's the Model A investment strategy, spent a lot for a little return. Monetarily wise but not so for the fun factor.

Mike K could equate this for the academic types for sure.

quickchange 01-30-2013 06:48 PM

Ron , How about selling me that old engine we spoke about now you have fitted the good one , No need too clean it ? It will make both wives HAPPY> Derek

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-30-2013 11:14 PM

A friend bought cans, buckets, & boxes of bolts, nuts, washers, etc, at yard/garage sales. After filling 2 5gallon buckets, he had them cleaned & cad plated. Sorting was easier when they were all the same finish. He would find a lot of grade 8, special purpose studs, stepped studs, etc.
When doing garage sales, just ask, "You got an old bucket of bolts & nuts?" I always ask for old Machettes. Bill W.