The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Greasing front V8 wheel bearings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175525)

Ian NZ 08-11-2015 04:35 PM

Greasing front V8 wheel bearings

When you replace the front wheel bearings on the V8's you repack the bearings but how much grease should you place in the hub itself. I have seen on some trailer applications where they have a grease nipple in the grease cap.

Juergen 08-11-2015 05:01 PM

Re: Greasing front V8 wheel bearings

There are some people who stuff the grease into the hub so nothing else (even moist air) can get in (maybe necessary if soaking in water). There are some people who just coat the hub to prevent rusting. And there are some who leave it alone because if the bearings are packed, how does the hub affect the bearing.

Allan Wylie 08-14-2015 06:09 AM

Packing just the bearings is the right way to do it. Putting grease in the hub only wastes grease. I'll bet those trailers with nipples were boat trailers. Some boaties will pump grease into their hubs to drive water out after they've dunked them in the briny deep.

JSeery 08-14-2015 09:24 AM

A lot of boats put on a grease hub cover with a spring and plunger inside to keep pressure on the grease packed inside the hub. If you drive a boat trailer (or any trailer for that matter) any distance the hubs heat up. Then backing them into water cools them quickly which lowers the pressure inside the hubs and pulls water in. Packing the hubs and keeping the grease under pressure is an attempt to keep the water out.

BABAR40 08-14-2015 09:33 AM

I think Juergen has covered it, literally.

Teich 08-14-2015 05:24 PM

The center of the hub, the space between the races should be filled level with the race. This from an IHC truck repair manual it is to be a reserve that comes out as wheel assy. turns. Can't say if works or not but never had a failure, I guess it a Safety feature, Laurie

FlatheadTed 08-14-2015 05:37 PM

Going by the grease we get today I don't think the wheel get hot enough to melt the grease ,it relys on that to replenish as you drive .My opinion is that a lower melt type would be better but have done no testing to prove this ,Ted

supereal 08-14-2015 07:40 PM

I have used the same "heavy duty drum brake" grease in both front and back Ford wheel bearings for 60 of my 80 years and never had a failure. Filling the hub or the caps is a waste of grease. Put grease in the palm of your hand and scoop grease into the bearing until it comes out around the rollers. Seat the front bearings in the race, and tighten the nut to reduce excess, then properly set the tension. That is all there is to the job. Do not use chassis lube.

cmbrucew 08-14-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1139182)
I have used the same "heavy duty drum brake" grease in both front and back Ford wheel bearings for 60 of my 80 years and never had a failure. Filling the hub or the caps is a waste of grease. Put grease in the palm of your hand and scoop grease into the bearing until it comes out around the rollers. Seat the front bearings in the race, and tighten the nut to reduce excess, then properly set the tension. That is all there is to the job. Do not use chassis lube.

Truth
Bruce

Ian NZ 08-15-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teich (Post 1139112)
The center of the hub, the space between the races should be filled level with the race. This from an IHC truck repair manual it is to be a reserve that comes out as wheel assy. turns. Can't say if works or not but never had a failure, I guess it a Safety feature, Laurie

Laurie that is interesting that is how I fill my hubs and there would be a certain amount of reserve there depending on how hot the hub gets and type of grease.

19Fordy 07-15-2018 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear wheel bearings are roller bearings. Reuse the OEM bearings as they are better quality than the repops made overseas. I have found you can grease the bearings by hand without removing them from the hub. I believe the original grease seals were leather. If they are still good, I would let them be. If you do have to replace them, be sure to regrind the cevel on the big snap ring to make removal easier, next time.