The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brassworks radiators (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291880)

35fordtn 12-21-2020 12:07 AM

Brassworks radiators

I have to give credit where credit is due. I need a radiator for my 36 pickup. It’s not a completely stock pickup as I’m using a later engine and a 35 grille. So... I needed a very hard to find commercial 35 radiator. I contacted brassworks and purchased one. They hand made each individual radiator. The owner Lee called me to explain there would be a delay as he was waiting on prints from the BFRC, to replicate it. With the use of drakes modified hoses this radiator fit like a charm and I couldn’t be happier. All the grille mounting hole locations were spot on.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4a3446db25.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ab1e6a6e6a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...13a66e7a05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quickchange34 12-21-2020 12:34 AM

Re: Brassworks radiators

They are super people to do business with. I have two of their radiators and they are spot on in looks and fit. Nice Truck !!

Newc 12-21-2020 01:25 AM

I was not ready for the 10 week delay, still a perfect product. Newc

51504bat 12-21-2020 10:11 AM

I ordered a Brassworks radiator for my '39 p/u. It has an 8ba so it didn't need the typical top tank relief that a stock '39 tank would have. Lee and I spoke on the phone and emailed back and forth to make sure the 4 row core would fit. It was a work of art when I picked it up in person. Can't say enough about the product or service. In regards to the lead time, when I ordered placed my order Lee told me it was 7-8 weeks out. He went on to say if I had an issue with that to contact my local school board and get them to start offering trade classes again. He said he just couldn't find qualified help. Sad statement about the state of education but lets not go down that rabbit hole and get the thread shut down.

Krylon32 12-21-2020 10:26 AM

I was a Walker distributor for 20 plus years but when I needed a couple really custom radiators I turned to Brassworks to do the job. Both have worked flawlessly to date

TJ 12-21-2020 11:38 AM

With Walker's closing the doors, I suspect Brassworks will get a lot busier. Schools should be partnering with private business to have apprenticeship programs. Not every kid wants to go to college. Our local district just got rid of the auto shop program that served 53 students. I guess the administrators don't need a mechanic to fix their cars so they can get to work or go shopping.

JSeery 12-21-2020 12:14 PM

Brassword built a 33 radiator for me to my specifications, came out just like I wanted, easy people to work with.

JM 35 Sedan 12-21-2020 01:05 PM

What kind of price (ballpark) would you folks say I would be looking at for a basically stock '35 passenger car radiator from Brassworks?? Just curious....since I have been thinking about having one recored anyway, and brand new might not be that much more of a premium.

35fordtn 12-21-2020 01:27 PM

John, prices are listed on their site. Mine was $1300 plus $100 shipping and a 5 week wait time.

Zeke3 12-21-2020 02:21 PM

Michael, your truck is looking great and that is a great looking radiator for it. I don't expect you will be hauling too much horse manure in that one when it is done.:D

PeterC 12-21-2020 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1965191)
What kind of price (ballpark) would you folks say I would be looking at for a basically stock '35 passenger car radiator from Brassworks?? Just curious....since I have been thinking about having one recored anyway, and brand new might not be that much more of a premium.

John - not sure I mentioned this but my 35 Coupe has a Brassworks stock passenger car radiator - been flawless in performance even with the higher temps that a blower Flathead puts out! With 180 stats runs cool in the hottest of days.

petehoovie 12-21-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterC (Post 1965245)
John - not sure I mentioned this but my 35 Coupe has a Brassworks stock passenger car radiator - been flawless in performance even with the higher temps that a blower Flathead puts out! With 180 stats runs cool in the hottest of days.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1608582222

Tim Ayers 12-21-2020 04:47 PM

Looks great, Michael! Glad to hear we still have a great shop supporting our hobby!

APDAVE 12-21-2020 05:02 PM

Nice Radiator , nice looking restoration ! Dave

51504bat 12-21-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1965191)

When I bought my Brassworks radiator a buddy with a Walker in his AV8 '30 Tudor with a 59ab recommended Walker. The prices were comparable but I found the initial info on the Brassworks web site to be more helpful regarding customizing it to my needs. I was also able to save the shipping costs by picking it up in conjunction with an RV trip to watch the TROG races at Pismo Beach. IIRC the cost was right around a grand but that was in 2016.

CA Victoria 12-21-2020 10:19 PM

If you get out this way it is worth the trip to have Lee walk you through his shop....everything from heaters, to airplanes, to huge commercial radiators waiting. Each of his craftsmen busy at their workstation hand forming pieces to complete each radiator. I came out with a better understanding why each one takes many-many hours to complete.

CA Victoria 12-21-2020 10:28 PM

John,
BW recored a stock 35 radiator for me. The tanks and frame were reusable. He added a fitting on the overflow tube for a #4 valve. It was just south of $900.
He told me his upper tank will fit perfectly but is not an exact replica. Ford had a complex stamping while his are hand formed.....it solved my cooling issue in our warm climate.

JM 35 Sedan 12-22-2020 11:51 AM

Thank you all for the info on Brassworks radiators, very much appreciated.

1948F-1Pickup 12-22-2020 02:40 PM

Nice stuff. Woulda gone that way if I hadn't found a good
used radiator down here. The $200 vs the Brassworks
cost was a pretty significant savings.

richard crow 12-22-2020 08:26 PM

i know i will get a lot of flack but you can get a alum. rad for under 200 that works great a lot of us can,t aford 8,000 rebuilds 1,300 rads 12,000 paint jobs but you can build a fun car for a lot less then a trailor queen & drive the wheels off it & park it any where