The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Anti-Freeze (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237920)

Atlasboy 01-25-2018 10:26 AM

Best Anti-Freeze

What would be the best Anti-Freeze to use for protection down to Zero.
My engine is ( I think ) original with no past rebuilding, and it still runs strong.
I just seem to remember that some Anti-Freezes can get into small crevices and damage the engine.

ModelAMike1930 01-25-2018 10:34 AM

Re: Best Anti-Freeze

I use Menards premixed in both of my Model A's with no problems. I think all of the modern anti-freezes can be used with no problem.

Atlasboy 01-25-2018 10:56 AM

Thanks, Mike !

Fullraceflathead 01-25-2018 11:47 AM

If I'm not mistaken their are only two companies in the US that make Anti Freeze.

Smog Tech 01-25-2018 11:49 AM

Some in my Model "A" Club have had problems with Anti-Freeze foaming. I wonder if modern (Long Life) Anti-Freeze may foam in nonpressurized cooling systems. I use O'Reilly Anti-Freeze for older cars (70's & 80's) in my Town Sedan. No problems.

duke36 01-25-2018 12:23 PM

Some folks use the commonly available 50-50 mix ethylene glycol based and others prefer propylene glycol for older engines. Check some blogs on the net , etc. for further discussion
as it can be somewhat technical. We use distilled water to top off as necessary.

Purdy Swoft 01-25-2018 12:25 PM

When I used the coupe as a daily driver I used Prestone antifreeze. It almost never goes to zero here . You would need to use a tester to determine the ratio of water to antifreeze . I used one gallon of Prestone with two gallons of water. I only used antifreeze in winter .Antifreeze raises the boiling point but doesn't raise the cooling ability . Modern cars need to run at higher temps than the primitive cooling system of the model A .

Y-Blockhead 01-25-2018 12:32 PM

I use Peak "Green" for cars 1989 and earlier at the same ratio as Purdy. Good for ~0° per chart. Good enough for SoCal.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=39702

40 Deluxe 01-25-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1584022)
When I used the coupe as a daily driver I used Prestone antifreeze. It almost never goes to zero here . You would need to use a tester to determine the ratio of water to antifreeze . I used one gallon of Prestone with two gallons of water. I only used antifreeze in winter .Antifreeze raises the boiling point but doesn't raise the cooling ability . Modern cars need to run at higher temps than the primitive cooling system of the model A .

If you're running plain water in the summer, you have a self-propelled rust factory!

eagle 01-25-2018 06:42 PM

The "green" kind. Mixed 50/50 or more. Good for beyond -30 F. We do get -40 or so sometimes so I mix it a little strong.

kenparker 01-25-2018 06:42 PM

There are only two kinds of anti-freeze. eythelene gycol and polypropolene gycol. The poly propolene stuff is the "green" kind and tends to foam less. the percentage of water to antifreeze determines how low temp you are protected.

Actually there is a third type but I dont recommend peeing in your radiator. he-he

barkleydave 01-25-2018 06:59 PM

The best is the one that does not freeze!

Purdy Swoft 01-25-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1584102)
If you're running plain water in the summer, you have a self-propelled rust factory!

Thanks for your concern about my model A's . I've owned model A's for nearly 60 years . For some reason I feel that I know what I'm doing .

JJASON 01-25-2018 07:26 PM

Use water and you ask for rust.

redmodelt 01-25-2018 08:04 PM

I use the green stuff and add my own water. If you insist on 50/50 make your one. You just need one empty jug. :)

Clem Clement 01-25-2018 08:47 PM

There was talk awhile back the long life antifreeze eats radiator solder. I don't know what to believe.

Fred K-OR 01-25-2018 08:59 PM

I use Prestone and have use it for years in all of my rigs including Model A's. Have served me well.

Dr. OldKat 01-26-2018 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1584182)
There was talk awhile back the long life antifreeze eats radiator solder. I don't know what to believe.

Best I can recall, there used to be some concern that one of the antifreeze types (forget which one) would eat up babbitt material, should you get a cooling leak into your crankcase. Did anyone else hear anything about that? Is it a legitimate concern?

The only reason I ask is that one of the few A guys in my area was the auto mechanics instructor at our local high school for about 35 years and one time while talking A's he mentioned this to me. I never followed up on it, but was curious if there is any basis to this.

Dollar Bill 01-26-2018 03:48 AM

Any kind of antifreeze in the crankcase is harmful as it will erode any type of bearing material.

For polling purposes, I like the old fashioned ethylene glycol mixed with distilled water.

Tom Wesenberg 01-26-2018 07:04 AM

I'd stay away from the orange antifreeze that GM used for some time.
It left clumps of corrosion in the system.