The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Terrible sad news Rainmaker Ron (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234753)

eswanson 12-06-2017 02:01 PM

Re: Terrible sad news Rainmaker Ron

It was the X-31, lots of custom work... German Model B 4 cylinder, 16" wheels, AC and shelf above windshield to keep looks, 4 speed trans that could pass most cars on the interstate. He had to pull the B engine about 6 years ago with a bad knock and he put in one of his spare A's that was .30 over with a police head.

He also had a white with baby blue fender pickup. That one was more stock then the X-31 but he was proud as can be of that one as it was all parts out of the bins in his shed for the most part.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=da85172bf2

eswanson 12-06-2017 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the X-31 and Pickup

SeaSlugs 12-06-2017 02:39 PM

Very sad to hear indeed. He will be greatly missed as he was one of the first if not THE first Model A guys I ever met. Such a wealth of knowledge from cars to life advice as well. Ill have to upload some pics when i get home.

Purdy Swoft 12-06-2017 02:49 PM

I didn't know Ron personally but I am very sorry to hear of his passing . I talked to him many times over the phone after I got my first AA truck back in the early 90s . Ron was always ready to give helpfull info and he helped me a lot . Rons passing will be a great loss to the model A hobby . My condolences to his family and friends . Tim Stephens aka Purdy Swoft .

Gary WA 12-06-2017 03:36 PM

Ditto all the above!!!! Sad news. Condolences to the family and friends of which he had many!

jimalabam 12-06-2017 04:33 PM

So sad to hear this news, Ron was a true Model A'er and a good man. To to family, please accept mu condolences. Jim Langley...

henry's 31 12-06-2017 04:52 PM

sorry to hear, my deepest sympathy to the family. May the great memories give them comfort.

Gary WA 12-06-2017 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
He will always be remembered!!

klawockvet 12-06-2017 09:01 PM

Sincere condolences to the family. I only knew Ron over the phone in the last days, but I knew from the moment we started talking that he was a stand up kind of guy who would help anyone in need. I knew he was seriously ill but never in my wildest dreams thought he was about to pass on. It was sad news indeed to hear of his passing.

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-06-2017 09:37 PM

We ALL need to be prepared for the unexpected. A local Man, with NO medical problems, did 3 HARD Sneezes & passed in front of his Friends, with a Heart Attack!!
My Son Gregg passed, 4 1/2 years ago, from a sudden Heart Attack, while sitting at his computer! Just a few hours before, I had a long chat with him.
Bill Ready

TAG29A 12-06-2017 10:21 PM

Sad news for sure. I met Ron about 15 years ago when my dad was restoring a 31 coupe. Spent many hours at his shop. Such a wealth of knowledge, I learned alot from him.

aford193031 12-06-2017 10:33 PM

Sad to hear. I never met him but we must pray for his family.

msmaron 12-08-2017 09:54 AM

We always lose the best too soon

Bill Lee/Virginia 12-08-2017 02:07 PM

Condolences and prayers to the family and friends from the Virginia Peninsula.

Bill Lee

barkleydave 12-08-2017 02:28 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=39351

Photo of Rainmaker working on my CCPU As you can tell he loved a camera! :)

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...761788&thumb=1

Marshall V. Daut 12-08-2017 05:37 PM

Ron's Model A shop in Peoria was 1 1/2 hours away, but it was always worth the drive. He and his wife were invariably a pleasure to see and visit with. Very enthusiastic about Model A's. It was not just dollars and cents to them.
Ron left the hobby in much better shape than he found it. Thanks for everything you did for us, Ron. We'll miss you.
Marshall

History 12-08-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1562112)
We ALL need to be prepared for the unexpected. A local Man, with NO medical problems, did 3 HARD Sneezes & passed in front of his Friends, with a Heart Attack!!
My Son Gregg passed, 4 1/2 years ago, from a sudden Heart Attack, while sitting at his computer! Just a few hours before, I had a long chat with him.
Bill Ready

Sorry to hear you guys lost a friend and also very very sorry Bill that you lost a son. I've recently lost both parents and it's a tough thing to go through.

I'm 54 and at 45 I had a heart attack. I looked to be in great shape and even the er staff were saying they couldn't believe that I was having a heart attack. My blockage was in the infamous widow maker artery. I'm ok now except for the load of medicine I take. It probably keeps me alive but is also killing me.

If any of you have heart disease in your family my advice would be, start living as if you've had a heart attack and maybe you won't have one.

Brian T 12-09-2017 05:49 PM

I have only been associated with the Model A folks for 7-8 years, and have read many a post from you folks where his nickname is mentioned , some of the stories of him and the events where you get together with him are enjoyable reading, --- however I have a question, how did he acquire the name Rainmaker Ron, I did not know him, he will be missed.

Barry B./ Ma. 12-09-2017 05:57 PM

I heard from someone that if Ron was attending the meet it was sure to rain, thus the nickname Rainmaker. He took a lot of kidding about it.

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 12-09-2017 10:09 PM

My condolences to Ron's family and friends.
It is truly sad news.
Barry, thanks for sharing how he got that nickname.
I often wondered.