The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   35 Ford Bug Screen (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153626)

PeterC 11-02-2014 08:59 AM

35 Ford Bug Screen

Anyone have experience with the Wardlow Kustom bug screen or other brand for the 35 Ford grille?? Ease of install with softseal and effectiveness to stay on securely?:confused:

35 radiator is a real bear to clean out leaves and bugs set deep behind the grille. Blowing compressed air from the engine side out is not real helpful.

Krylon32 11-02-2014 10:09 AM

Re: 35 Ford Bug Screen

I've only used them on a 32 but both have vertical grille bars. I never had a problem with movement or damage to the grille.

JM 35 Sedan 11-02-2014 10:11 AM

Peter, those bugs getting into the radiator of my '35 fordor sedan were "bugging" me as well. I just bought a bug screen from Bob Drake because I was placing an order with him for some other parts. I think it was ~ $70.00 which I thought was over priced but I didn't know that much about them. I did some research on the internet but they all looked to be about the same to me. I don't recall finding the Wardlow version though. Just looked on their website and the one they sell looks just like Drakes, except Drakes grommets are part of the screen, and the springs appear to be identical. The screen material is very soft and flexible. I have not actually installed it yet so can't offer any comments on function.

Don Rogers 11-02-2014 11:24 AM

I used to have one on my 35 Conv Sedan until I discovered by accident that the engine ran cooler without one. My screen was nylon and may have had too fine a mesh that restricted air flow.

The Hot Rod Grille 11-02-2014 11:41 AM

I know that you are asking re. a '35, but I've run a Wardlow screen on my '34 for several years. It attaches with the "cone-shaped" spring clips on the vertical grille bars. The fit is perfect and it takes less than a minute to install or remove. I take a stiff bristle brush and clean the bugs from the screen before removing it from the grille. No problems with bugs or debris getting into the radiator fins after many, many miles of driving!

Jim

PeterC 11-02-2014 05:53 PM

So you picked the springs over the rubber cones? When purchasing they ask which mounting I would prefer - with the grille bar spacing they indicate the rubber squeezes between the bars. I'll call them and see what they recommend and why.

Thanks all for your input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille (Post 973593)
I know that you are asking re. a '35, but I've run a Wardlow screen on my '34 for several years. It attaches with the "cone-shaped" spring clips on the vertical grille bars. The fit is perfect and it takes less than a minute to install or remove. I take a stiff bristle brush and clean the bugs from the screen before removing it from the grille. No problems with bugs or debris getting into the radiator fins after many, many miles of driving!

Jim

flatheadfan 11-03-2014 03:29 AM

Peter-

I got a bug screen for my '35 from Rock Valley several years ago. Seems it was about $15 and I still use it today. As I understand it, the guy's wife makes them. Excellent quality. No over-heating problems. It might be worth a call.

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/products.htm

Hope this helps.

Tom

FL&WVMIKE 11-03-2014 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a vintage Bug Screen, which looks like it was made for a 1935 FORD, and possibly others.
Also a close up of the cone shaped springs.
Thank you,
MIKE :) (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

PeterC 11-03-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 974451)
Here is a vintage Bug Screen, which looks like it was made for a 1935 FORD, and possibly others.
Also a close up of the cone shaped springs.
Thank you,
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Very interesting piece - very functional - changes the look of the 35 grille for sure - Thanks for sharing

TJ 11-03-2014 09:54 PM

When I had my 35 I made my own bug screen. I bought the screening at the hardware store and cut it to shape. I then had an upholstery shop bind the edges. I bought some large metal grommets and installed them in the screening. I then made my own spring attachments. I used the cone shaped door panel springs and installed a long cotter key with a washer on the top. I then spread the tangs of the cotter key at a 90 degree angle just even with the bottom edge of the spring.. You then push the cotter key vertically through the grille bars and twist ,so it catches the bars horizontally. It worked good for me.

FL&WVMIKE 11-04-2014 12:05 PM

How the old "cone shaped" springs worked, was the bottom of the inside piece had a hook. When you twisted it, the hook would catch the backside of one of the verticle bars. To remove it, you, simply, twisted the hook to face, either up or down, to release it.