The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc Experience (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274327)

Blastfromthepast 12-21-2019 11:02 AM

Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc Experience

I received a flier with what I thought were good deals. I placed the order on the phone and combined parts to save on the shipping. I received the order today to find out that there was a part that I really needed was back order. I called the company and asked did you know that the order was backed ordered when I called. He said that it seemed like it was in stock at the time but didn't trust his inventory. I told him I should have been notified and that by back ordering the item it is now going to cost me additional shipping. The good it deals became bad deals if its going to cost more. My suggestion with this company is to be sure that the item is in stock and if its back ordered that they should pick up the shipping.

Alaska Jim 12-21-2019 11:07 AM

Re: Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc Experience

Unfortunately, This seems to be getting to be the normal way of doing business with a lot of vendors these days.. I personally think Bob Drake is the worst for it, and Speedway is not much better. just my experience.

redmodelt 12-21-2019 01:24 PM

Nothing new, back orders and shipping when in stock has been going on for years.

4t7heaven 12-21-2019 01:25 PM

I believe the vendors always give you the option of waiting to ship until all the parts are in stock. They sort of hide that in the fine print. I have found that, while shopping on line is convenient, it is always better to place the order with a real and actual person.

Andy 12-21-2019 01:56 PM

The worst and actually funny was J C Whitney. I ordered a bunch of little stuff and was suprised when I recieved a big box. I dug in and only found catalogs and flyers and advertizements. A lot of trash. No parts. Big box full of trash and absolutely no parts. The parts came later in a small box.

supereal 12-22-2019 03:15 PM

We use C&G. They will tell you if the item is in stock, and whether it will ever be restocked if unavailable. That is why we use their phone line to talk with them, rather than email.

ford38v8 12-22-2019 03:53 PM

an unfortunate fact of life is that many retailers are doing business on a shoestring, with a minimum investment in inventory. Their suppliers aren't in the loan business, and require 30 day payment. All it takes is a hickup to spiral a retailer on a downward path to ruin. No retailer enjoys being out of stock on products it can sell. They are not our adversaries, they are the sources we require to keep our cars on the road, so it behooves us to give them every break we can.

Ford Freak 12-22-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1833947)
We use C&G. They will tell you if the item is in stock, and whether it will ever be restocked if unavailable. That is why we use their phone line to talk with them, rather than email.

Yep , me too !

TJ 12-22-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast (Post 1833634)
I received a flier with what I thought were good deals. I placed the order on the phone and combined parts to save on the shipping. I received the order today to find out that there was a part that I really needed was back order. I called the company and asked did you know that the order was backed ordered when I called. He said that it seemed like it was in stock at the time but didn't trust his inventory. I told him I should have been notified and that by back ordering the item it is now going to cost me additional shipping. The good it deals became bad deals if its going to cost more. My suggestion with this company is to be sure that the item is in stock and if its back ordered that they should pick up the shipping.

Since most of the bigger dealers have the inventory on a computer it's possible that the guy who sold the last one failed to take it out of inventory. Therefore it showed there was one still in stock.

nelsb01 12-23-2019 01:01 AM

Ah, not sure what your dealing with, but I have ordered my fair share of parts from most of the Ford vendors. Everytime that I placed an order, they charged me for shipping on the WHOLE order, and IF a part was NOT available to be shipped, it was shipped when it was available at no additional cost. Once you place an order and recieve a final order form, that should be your final cost. If they charge you more to ship the missing part of the order, call your credit card company and complain.