The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   lite switch assembly question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323365)

Deny1950 02-12-2023 10:47 AM

lite switch assembly question

hi guys took my steering box apart to get every thing up to par, had to wait for parts got every thing back together. Till i got to the light switch and i can't remember the sequence of the spring ,spider etc. question is do you put spring the spider and c clip or is it spring , spider ,steel upper housing ,top bakelite, c clip. thanks in advance Denis

Bob C 02-12-2023 11:26 AM

Re: lite switch assembly question

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture .

TJMack 02-12-2023 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Denis, take a look at this picture. It should answer your question. I don't know that you mean by "steel upper housing and top bakelite". I presume you are talking about a 7 tooth box.

See my thread about Leaking 7 tooth steering box. I just got through that project. Quite a hassle with leaks.

TJMack 02-12-2023 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob C, What is this part? (arrow in picture) I don't have it in my car. I looked in Mac's catalog and see it there as part #B3569. Is it used in the 2 tooth box only?

Deny1950 02-12-2023 12:48 PM

thanks Bob c and tj mac yes that answers my question. spring , spider , c clip.is the order it goes in acording to pic. that is how i assembled it but was wondering becuase it was very easy to put the clip in and thought i had something missing. will have to do more checking becuase something is not right because i have power to all wires all the time even when i move the switch to all positions. even in the 6 oclock position. all that works properly as it is is the horn. will do some more investigating Thanks for the info guys

TJMack 02-12-2023 01:14 PM

It could be that the "ears" on the spider aren't properly engaged into the light switch ring inside the light switch housing.

Robbie Horn 02-12-2023 09:44 PM

This doesn't reference the assembly order of the switch but while it's apart you might want to lube it a bit. Mine was real hard to turn after assembling it. I took it back apart & sprayed it with some white lithium grease & it solved that problem.

Deny1950 02-12-2023 11:04 PM

Robbie Horn so what is the order of assembly of the light switch then? dose the top part of switch go on before the c clip is put on?

burner31 02-13-2023 09:49 AM

Assemble as seen in post 2, spider gear should be at 6 and 12 o'clock, align switch plate to mate with spider, secure with housing and bale.
Check for proper movement and light function, repeat/adjust as needed.
Check to insure horn is working too.
Always buy two spider gears and clips...,just in case

Rob Doe 02-14-2023 12:12 PM

If you are reusing an old worn reproduction switch, IMHO you should bite the bullet and buy the Snyder's pricey switch that is made to the ford drawings. Also get a couple matching bails as the repo one won't fit the good switch. This worked for me last summer. I threw the old stuff in the garbage.

I also had to replace the contact disk with one of proper thickness. You can get one from Tyree Harris. It will be very near (.315???) thick. My light switch works as it should now.

Robbie Horn 02-16-2023 06:36 AM

The c clip holds on the switch actuator. You put the spring on first then compress the spring & put the c clip on. Then put the cover on the switch & then align the switch rod up with the switch. Put the lanyard clip on the tangs & slide the switch on & clip the lanyard to hold the switch on. When the steering wheel switch lever is pointing down in the center position is off. One click to the left is parking lights, first click to the right is low beam then the next is high beam.Hope this helps.

burner31 02-16-2023 07:58 PM

One added tip:
Some of the new spider gears do not fit the horn rod very well, do not be afraid to use a small file to get a get a good fit, do this before trying to assemble to save a lot of frustration.

Wick 02-17-2023 07:38 AM

Use a original switch with good bumps. This will give you a "click" when you use it.
A old original spider works and fits the best.
Use a yard stick slipped through the steering wheel to hold the light rod in position.
Caution...the Clip should not be easy to install,if it does your putting it in the wrong place.
Push up on the spider real good.....then you will see where the clip is really supposed to go.

Big hammer 02-17-2023 09:11 AM

My light switch goes from off to park then low then high in a clockwise motion, replacement wiring and switch from Rick’s 50 years ago

ampico-kid 02-17-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 2205103)
My light switch goes from off to park then low then high in a clockwise motion, replacement wiring and switch from Rick’s 50 years ago

My light switch is probably 40 years old and likewise goes from park, to low, to high, clockwise. Don't recall where I bought the replacement switch?

Chuck Sea/Tac 02-17-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wick (Post 2205085)
Use a original switch with good bumps. This will give you a "click" when you use it.
A old original spider works and fits the best.
Use a yard stick slipped through the steering wheel to hold the light rod in position.
Caution...the Clip should not be easy to install,if it does your putting it in the wrong place.
Push up on the spider real good.....then you will see where the clip is really supposed to go.

That’s good advice, as I recently made that mistake of not putting the clip in the right place. Fortunately a friend came over and somehow the assembly got bumped or something, and the clip went flying. I didn’t have another, so it took about 15 minutes to find it, and then install it in the correct spot.

Deny1950 02-17-2023 09:29 PM

thanks guys for all the help but just to let you know got every thing working correctly. I used all oem parts they were all good. finaly figured out why my lights were all on nomater where the switch was. Had to fill down the connections on the wires at the headlight bucket. They were to big and they were interconnecting. But all good now