The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Screwdriver (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145023)

John Duden 07-21-2014 10:41 PM

Screwdriver

1 Attachment(s)
You know your into a hobby too deep when you take a screw driver apart to re build it!
I had this original screw driver that the handle turned on the staft. The wood right above the rivit broke. I took it apart and filed the end that was broken smooth. i then took an old hammer handle and turned it in the lathe so it would be the same size taper for the metal collar. i then center drilled the handel and glued the new plug in. i re drilled the shaft hole and put the blade in. I turned a nail down and Don Turley helped me peen the head over so it looked original. I then sanded all the pits out of the blade and painted the handle.
I probably could of found a better one pretty cheap but i did not want to see this one go to waste. The hole process probable took me 2 hours
John

Mike V. Florida 07-21-2014 11:24 PM

Re: Screwdriver

Funny!

rollingsculpture 07-22-2014 07:45 AM

great save ! you are really deep in the hobby now ! john i can appreciate the desire to be thoughtful in keeping even the small parts alive, Im sure your vehicles in your collection will be amazing when your 50!

Ray in La Mesa 07-22-2014 08:28 AM

I hate to see things go to waste too, but I like to test my restoration talent, (what little I have), to see if I CAN save something. It;s broke so nothing is lost except a bit of time, and sometimes the item is good for another 10 years.

Rex_A_Lott 07-22-2014 10:47 AM

Oh, my.
Well that looks exactly like the screwdriver that Henry Ford adjusted the very first Model carburetor with....the handle's been replaced twice, and the blade once, but its the same screwdriver.:)
Ought to be a good conversation piece.

Brentwood Bob 07-22-2014 11:32 AM

Good on you. Bob

C26Pinelake 07-22-2014 12:18 PM

To each his own. I would have bought a new screwdriver and went for a 2 hour drive in the model A.
Wayne

Mitch//pa 07-22-2014 12:52 PM

nice job john on the restoration of that screwdriver and i bet nobody could tell the difference even in fine point judging.:)

Ted Duke 07-22-2014 01:48 PM

I found an OLD screwdriver that my Dad used to shake the grate in a wood stove. It was in the wood stove when I inherited it, with the wooden handle burned off. Think solid screwdriver with two slabs of wood sandwiching the metal. I HAD TO MAKE NEW HANDLES AND CARVE THEM LIKE THE OLD, Couldn't help myself! LOL

John Duden 07-22-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C26Pinelake (Post 914611)
To each his own. I would have bought a new screwdriver and went for a 2 hour drive in the model A.
Wayne

i would have too, but my truck is not done, and i don't like to see good original parts thrown out if they can be saved. I would have to say it would pass fine point judging. i observed the tool judging at french lick this year and repainted ones passed. The plug i made in not visible, you would have to take the rivit out and take the metal collar off to see the glue line
John

daveymc29 07-22-2014 10:55 PM

So my question is, "Were all the tools painted black?" I have what I thought was a Model A screw driver, with what appears to be a bit of brownish paint still on it. Just curious and I don't pretend to know much about the tools that came with the cars.

jimalabam 07-23-2014 06:09 AM

Right On John, it is the little things that count. Restore and save what we can...

C26Pinelake 07-23-2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Duden (Post 914910)
i would have too, but my truck is not done, and i don't like to see good original parts thrown out if they can be saved. I would have to say it would pass fine point judging. i observed the tool judging at french lick this year and repainted ones passed. The plug i made in not visible, you would have to take the rivit out and take the metal collar off to see the glue line
John

And I commend you for what you did and it looks great. My point understood by you and misunderstood by others was that I grab every opportunity I get to ride In my antique cars. Time is precious. Hope the truck is soon finished.
Wayne