The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   advice (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236911)

robw 01-10-2018 12:54 PM

advice

I've got a 29 roadster pickup.

I'm afraid I screwed up and forgot to winterize the thing. Yes, I'm an idiot.

We've had below freezing temps here for the last two weeks.

I realized my mistake on the first day we had temps above freezing.

I put a kerosene heater in the garage and have kept the temps above freezing for the last 24 hours.

I opened the drain and a small dribble of water came out... hardly anything.

No water in the oil yet that I can see. No obvious damage anywhere.

Any advice on how to inspect this engine once I get it all thawed out?

I haven't driven the car since before last April, so it could be that the cooling system was mostly dry.

I figure if I keep it above freezing for another 24 hours then it should be thawed out...

What a stupid thing to do.

rob

SeaSlugs 01-10-2018 01:01 PM

Re: advice

Well get it 100% thawed out, pull the dipstick and check for water in there or high oil level. Might be a good bet to drain the oil into a clean pan and see how much water if any comes out.

If it seems OK id pull the plugs and do a leak down test - that will show the condition of the cyl and if any cracks/leaks developed into the water jacket.

If that checks good, id fill radiator with warm water and see where or if it comes out. Fill it up to the very top of the radiator neck, give the car a wiggle to burp any possible air bubbles out and top it off, let it sit for a few days and check the level again. Should stay filled (or very close due to slight evaporation)

If it does you may have to just run the car and get it up to temp to see if anything adverse happens. Monitor water levels very closely for awhile and monitor oil level/color.

TinCup 01-10-2018 01:03 PM

The head is usually the first victim in a freeze. The tunnel to the water pump is the first place to look. Other than that if it did freeze it could have cracked the deck, cracked the water jacket, unfortunately any number of places. If the car was dry no coolant then you have a chance that no serious damage was done. Antifreeze is a wonderful thing and I have never understood those that run only water in their A.

SeaSlugs 01-10-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinCup (Post 1577276)
The head is usually the first victim in a freeze. The tunnel to the water pump is the first place to look. Other than that if it did freeze it could have cracked the deck, cracked the water jacket, unfortunately any number of places. If the car was dry no coolant then you have a chance that no serious damage was done. Antifreeze is a wonderful thing and I have never understood those that run only water in their A.

also can crack the no4 piston water jacket thats hard to see against the firewall (fixable with JB weld). it can crack into the valve galley as well.

WHN 01-10-2018 01:06 PM

We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you and your engine and radiator.

If it was full of “water only”, given the temperatures over the last few weeks, you very well could have a major problem.

Tell us how things work out. Again, I hope everything works out. Enjoy.

Jacksonlll 01-10-2018 01:59 PM

With a warm garage, fill it with water and see if it stays in there. If it does, start it up and run it for a while and watch the water. If all goes well, drain out a gallon of the water and put in a gallon of prestone concentrate to get it to a 50-50 mix. I bet you are ok.

hardtimes 01-10-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw (Post 1577271)
I've got a 29 roadster pickup.

I'm afraid I screwed up and forgot to winterize the thing. Yes, I'm an idiot.

We've had below freezing temps here for the last two weeks.

I realized my mistake on the first day we had temps above freezing.

I put a kerosene heater in the garage and have kept the temps above freezing for the last 24 hours.

I opened the drain and a small dribble of water came out... hardly anything.

No water in the oil yet that I can see. No obvious damage anywhere.

Any advice on how to inspect this engine once I get it all thawed out?

I haven't driven the car since before last April, so it could be that the cooling system was mostly dry.

I figure if I keep it above freezing for another 24 hours then it should be thawed out...

What a stupid thing to do.

rob

Hey Rob,
Silver lining here, may be that you had it parked in a shed when you realized may be a problem and took action.
And, as you indicate, if you've had a leaking problem, this may to the only case ....where a leak is/was GOOD :). Let's hope that is the case.
In the current situation, I'd take a bucket of warm water (as your evidence shows 'no water in crankcase') and pour the warm water into the engine/radiator. IF it goes in ok...all may be well. IF it goes in partially and will not accept much, then ice may still be there...but the warm water will help dissipate /melt any ice. I think that you are lucky and have done the correct things now i.e.- heater, etc..
But, as you well know now , drain the system completely for storage. Ask me how I know. I lived in Pa, in former life and as a kid , learned such the hard way.

JDupuis 01-10-2018 02:09 PM

It happens...keep us informed of your findings. Jeff

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-10-2018 02:53 PM

Being in a garage, "might" be of some help??? We're ROOTING for you, that everything is OK! The Dog has his TOES Crossed--LOL
Bill W, & Buster T.

WHN 01-10-2018 04:23 PM

I believe water continues to expand until it reaches -238 degrees. If I am correct, the colder your motor has gotten, the more of a chance for damage caused by freezing. 30 degrees might not crack anything, where 0 degrees could.

I hope everything works out for you. Enjoy.

Mikeinnj 01-10-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1577299)
With a warm garage, fill it with water and see if it stays in there. If it does, start it up and run it for a while and watch the water. If all goes well, drain out a gallon of the water and put in a gallon of prestone concentrate to get it to a 50-50 mix. I bet you are ok.

Make that "add 1 1/2 gallons for a 50/50 antifreeze solution' as the Model A holds THREE GALLONS of coolant.

1931 flamingo 01-10-2018 06:56 PM

Open the drain petcock on the lower pipe, stick something into it in case there's sediment there and see if it drains. Drain it and forget about it until spring. If you want to be sure pull the lower hose(s) off. FWIW
Paul in CT

Big hammer 01-10-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1577417)
Open the drain petcock on the lower pipe, stick something into it in case there's sediment there and see if it drains. Drain it and forget about it until spring. If you want to be sure pull the lower hose(s) off. FWIW
Paul in CT

Paul beat me to it, the drain clogs! Fingers crossed!

Tom Wesenberg 01-10-2018 07:33 PM

I bought my 28 Phaeton cheap because the owner only used water, and in September in Minnesota the engine froze and cracked the head, even though the car was inside the garage. Sometimes it's nice that people only use water. LOL

Luckily the numbers matching block was OK, even though the head had a large 5" crack. Several have fixed cracks successfully with JB Weld.

robw 01-10-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1577440)
I bought my 28 Phaeton cheap because the owner only used water, and in September in Minnesota the engine froze and cracked the head, even though the car was inside the garage. Sometimes it's nice that people only use water. LOL

Luckily the numbers matching block was OK, even though the head had a large 5" crack. Several have fixed cracks successfully with JB Weld.

Yeah, last spring I had a leaky radiator and had put water in it while checking out the repair. Then, of course life got in the way and I forgot all about it.

After a day and a half of a nice warm garage all that has come out is about a Dixie cup worth. I'm fairly certain the drain is not plugged, But I'll check and be sure.

Tomorrow I'll put some warm water in it and see how much it holds... and then promptly replace it with antifreeze.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rob

davehc 01-10-2018 08:07 PM

I would make sure I had some type of heat on it 24 hr's a day till I got that water out . heat lamps , torpedo heater , anything I could direct the heat to the engine and radiator with to get water running . Maybe even put a tarp over the engine area to help confin the heat till its done what you want to do . If you get the water out , defenitly refill with at least the premix stuff . As said before , keep us posted , and good luck.

Russ/40 01-11-2018 01:18 AM

A few beat me to it, but don't panic yet, open the petcock and run a heavy wire like a coat hanger through it. Might just be some rust settled there.

BillCNC 01-11-2018 02:14 AM

Fingers Crossed,

Wrap an electric blanket around the motor as they can be had pretty cheap and really doesn't cost much to run. It will make sure that motor thaws out quickly and stays that way until you figure it out.

Regards
Bill

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-11-2018 11:12 AM

We used to get Used Cars in on an Auto Transport, with a SCREECHING Fan Belt, from a frozen Water Pump, even!!
We'd remove the radiator cap, SNIP the fan Belt & let them IDLE, until they thawed out.
Bill Cold

Fred K-OR 01-11-2018 01:43 PM

Could maybe use your wife's (friend's) hair dryer and that may warm things up a bit.