The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine pans (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247804)

daren007 07-15-2018 08:19 AM

Engine pans

I do not have engine cooling problems however the ambient temp under the hood is really raising hell with my fuel on days like we have been having 85-90 degrees. Would the under hood temps run cooler without the pans.

Gary WA 07-15-2018 09:25 AM

Re: Engine pans

2 Attachment(s)
No!They help with cooling and grounding.

daren007 07-15-2018 11:21 AM

My problem is sitting at a light or waiting for a train. Moving of course there is air being drawn out of the engine area.

WHN 07-15-2018 11:35 AM

Don’t remove your engine pans. If you think it’s hot now, wait until you remove them!

You engine should be running around 170 degrees at the head. Add to that your exhaust manifold, and it can get warm under there.

Purdy Swoft 07-15-2018 11:48 AM

I agree with WHN !!! Engine pans help the engine run cooler , I would keep them .

kimlinh 07-15-2018 12:34 PM

I don't run engine pans. They get in the way of my air cleaner. I know most people say to use them however my car has no problems without them. Even on the hottest days, my car does not overheat. My car is newly restored and I have a stock engine and radiator. Maybe when the cooling system is a little older and crudded up that will change but for now, I'm fine without pans. I also run a ground cable from the battery to the engine.

Curtis in MA 07-15-2018 12:35 PM

Increasing your engine speed while sitting will move more coolant.

Railcarmover 07-15-2018 12:36 PM

Borrow or buy a heat gun,your radiator temp should drop 20 degrees from top to bottom.Its important for timing to be set correctly as well. If you decide to pull the engine pans,or even if you don't,a ground strap from the battery directly connected to the transmission or engine is a good way to make sure you don't have ground issues.

daren007 07-15-2018 04:15 PM

I do not have cooling problems. My temp is stabilized at 170. The problem I have is when setting the ambient under hood temp causes the fuel to start boiling causing the engine to run rough. I know the pans help radiator cooling but because I do not have problems in that area I was wondering if the engine would run cooler static without the pans.

Tom Wesenberg 07-15-2018 05:28 PM

I have the same problem when using 10% corn crap gas. Now I only use gas without corn and add 4 ounces MMO to each 10 gallons, and it runs fine.

Bob Bidonde 07-16-2018 08:06 AM

The engine pans also direct air flow towards the clutch and transmission for cooling. I would not count on the engine pans for electrical grounds. A cable connected to a gear shift bolt and the battery chassis ground is far superior.

1crosscut 07-16-2018 10:49 AM

What do you have for a fuel line to the carburetor?
If it is copper, rubber or has an inline (modern) fuel filter I would suspect that any of them could be contributing to the problem. Also does your fuel line run down hill all the way to the carburetor? I have found with a gravity flow fuel system like the A's if the fuel line has a low spot in it and the fuel has to run back up hill it can and often will cause troubles. Stock steel fuel lines all run down hill.