The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do I spot repro? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242533)

cederholm 04-13-2018 11:17 AM

How do I spot repro?

Hi all,

For those who haven't seen my other posts, I'm new to A ownership with a fresh 1930 Coupe!

Let me start by saying I really don't care is some of the stuff is reproduction as the car is in fantastic shape and runs like a dream. ...and I'm very pleased with the price I bought it for.

Anyway, I'm no stranger to old cars and without deeper investigation some parts look to good to be true. Headlights and fenders come to the top of my mind. Even my radiator shell is much better than I would have imagined.

So, I'm just curios if anyone has some light to shed.

Thanks,
Carl

Bob C 04-13-2018 11:33 AM

Re: How do I spot repro?

If it fits it's most likely original.:D

Bob

krzewinskibe 04-13-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1617162)
If it fits it's most likely original.:D

Bob

so much truth there :eek:

daren007 04-13-2018 12:45 PM

Repo....It doesn't fit.

cederholm 04-13-2018 01:06 PM

Ha! I hear you loud and clear.

Thanks,
Carl

3.6rs 04-13-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cederholm (Post 1617154)
Hi all,

For those who haven't seen my other posts, I'm new to A ownership with a fresh 1930 Coupe!

Let me start by saying I really don't care is some of the stuff is reproduction as the car is in fantastic shape and runs like a dream. ...and I'm very pleased with the price I bought it for.

Anyway, I'm no stranger to old cars and without deeper investigation some parts look to good to be true. Headlights and fenders come to the top of my mind. Even my radiator shell is much better than I would have imagined.

So, I'm just curios if anyone has some light to shed.

Thanks,
Carl

Post some pictures and you will receive the answers...

cederholm 04-13-2018 01:31 PM

I will - thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rs (Post 1617204)
Post some pictures and you will receive the answers...

Dave in MD 04-13-2018 01:45 PM

Well the headlight buckets and radiator shell are stainless steel so more than likely they are original pieces. Ford made the switch from plated metal used in these two areas with the introduction of the 1930 passenger cars.
Dave

redmodelt 04-14-2018 06:42 PM

The Judging Standards does not cover every original/reproduced/NOS/NORS part made.

JohnLaVoy 04-14-2018 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are various stories and tales about reproduction parts. we have been reviewing them and find that there are usually more than one manufacturer of these parts and if you look at the quality and not price you will be pleased with the outcome. the picture is of a Model A built with all the reproduction parts for Ford Motor Company and displayed at the SEMA show in 2012.