The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spare tire lock (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226666)

todd3131 08-12-2017 09:16 PM

Spare tire lock

Today I decided it time to restore my wheels again is has been over 25 years since I painted them and the had road rash not to mention a major accident since. I am going to powder coat them and I will need to look for the thread with the correct RAL number. Now my issue i have an original spare tire lock on it that hasn't been off since 98 I went to try it but it was stuck used wd on it got it to turn but wouldn't release, to get to the end of the story I destroyed the tumbler in the lock but I got it to release. Who out there repairs these locks?I will need a new tumbler but I am not a lock guy

Any help will be appreciated.
Also my caps are looking dingy what 31 reproduction caps are the closest to original,

w.michael 08-12-2017 10:12 PM

Re: Spare tire lock

I am very pleased with my repro '31 hubcaps from A & L.

W. Michael

Mike V. Florida 08-12-2017 11:10 PM

We need a picture of the spare lock. Some used the same tumbler as the pop out

H. L. Chauvin 08-12-2017 11:18 PM

Hi Todd,

Like Halmark Cards, ("If you care enough for the very best"), please try calling Mr. Dick Crabtree, (an expert "Model A" locksmith), with phone # shown as: 605-487-7229.

He did my impossible solid frozen 1930 Town Sedan door lock and also totally rebuilt my pop-out switch and made keys for both.

Synchro909 08-13-2017 12:10 AM

I have a repro door handle and one of the keys broke (long story). I'd like to get another but the local lock smith doesn't have a blank. Ideas? Would the vendor be able to provide another key from the numbers stamped on it?

H. L. Chauvin 08-13-2017 02:11 AM

I did not have a key for my 1930 Town Sedan door lock. This door lock was separate and not in the handle.

This door lock cylinder had a number where Mr. Crabtree said it was made in 1927 for Model T's and Ford continued to use them for Model A door locks.

He had original key blanks for same and cut me a pair of new keys from the original key blanks he had in stock.

This was several years ago ..... just hope he is still in business .... also a very great and wonderful gentleman.

Tom Wesenberg 08-13-2017 06:47 AM

A&L can also cut keys from your lock numbers, and they sell original style key blanks.

todd3131 08-13-2017 11:10 AM

I'm not family with a and l who are they?

duke36 08-13-2017 11:27 AM

I bought (sidemount) spare tire locks from a trailer supply place that look identical to the older keyed accessories and fit 1/2" studs, etc. There is no cover for the key hole, however. They are Master Lock (chrome)or Fulton (Black finish).

Tom Wesenberg 08-13-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd3131 (Post 1512782)
I'm not family with a and l who are they?

A&L sell quality parts. The last number I have for them is 860-693-0112

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-13-2017 11:21 PM

In Old Western Movies, they SHOOT the locks off with a .45---LOL
Seriously, I have an OLD trunk & it looks as if the lock was SHOT out, from the INSIDE of the trunk!!!--I sure wish I knew the rest of that STORY????---"Maybe" they locked a Midget Cowboy inside it????
LOVE Old Westerns, once a Cowboy touched a HUGE rock, to hide from the shooters & the rock JIGGLED---LOL----Another time, I saw a Vapor Trail in the sky, "maybe"it was the Wright Brothers????
Bill One-eye