The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ebay propay? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105753)

Tom Wesenberg 05-10-2013 08:58 AM

Ebay propay?

I just went to buy and pay for some screws on ebay and at checkout instead of the usual paypal I see a new "PROPAY". They want all my information, including my credit card number. Does anyone know if this is OK, or is it some kind of hacking? :confused: Thanks

machine girl 05-10-2013 09:00 AM

Re: Ebay propay?

I buy and sell a lot on ebay never heard of propay??

Franchise_24 05-10-2013 09:14 AM

Yeah unless it's brand new, I have never heard of it either. I would proceed with caution.

luckyal 05-10-2013 09:21 AM

Only a fool would provide this information. For your financial security and well being you must decline !
Al

Mitch//pa 05-10-2013 09:31 AM

tom it does not sound kosher

Nodakwalleyer 05-10-2013 09:31 AM

Paid for something last night I won and it went straight to PayPal!

Fordors 05-10-2013 09:36 AM

Have you notified eBay?

gweilbaker 05-10-2013 09:39 AM

Tom,
I just googled it, it looks like something new since May 1st.
-best to read up on it.

lookin-backtexas 05-10-2013 09:51 AM

Tom: I have had an ebay store for eight years and have completed over 22,000 transactions on ebay. Apparently ProPay is an option sellers have to collect payment if they don't want to use PayPal. Through my ebay account I checked and came up with this about ProPay from back in August last year:

Question: What is pro pay, I went to pay with paypal and this person uses pro pay.
Aug 6, 2012 10:16 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html#propay

ProPay
ProPay lets sellers accept credit cards without an Internet merchant account.
Learn more about paying with ProPay.

Payment is traceable. You can track the status of your payment using My eBay or your credit card account.
Payment is convenient and immediate. You pay directly from the listing page and the seller receives notification of your credit card payment.
You may have some liability coverage. Your credit card company may provide a certain level of purchase protection. Contact your credit card company to learn more. (ProPay doesn't offer its own buyer protection program.)
You don't need to register with ProPay to make payments.

Sounds legit.
Fred

Ross/Kzoo 05-10-2013 09:56 AM

I bought something last year and didn't realize that it automatically went to Propay. I don't remember what I did but for sure I don't want my name and all account numbers out there for everyone to hack. I think that I went back in was able to use Paypal as an alternative. You can decide for yourself if you want your information all over theinternet, I don't!

machine girl 05-10-2013 10:00 AM

before you pay check your payment opps.

Tinker 05-10-2013 10:05 AM

Ebay owns paypal. Seems propay is gaining some popularity due to paypals fees. Never used it though and can't advise it's security or issues.

Like Ross I don't like to put a lot of info out there. But your creditcard info should be fine as most of us use it for paying online all the time. SS#, bank info, passwords, and Birthdate... no thanks.

sidhartha 05-10-2013 10:07 AM

Propay is new for EBay and it seems to be a legitimate way to pay. PayPal only take transactions from your bank account were Propay uses secure transactions from your credit card. They offer a small card reader that works on a smart phone to transaction easier for sellers. I've seen them advertised on tv. Here's a link that can explain it better than I can.

http://www.propay.com/industry-solutions/eauction-ebay/

Pinstripe 05-10-2013 10:56 AM

Paid for plates yesterday on Ebay with no mention of Propay. Used PayPal as usual. Must be an option

ba49 05-10-2013 11:04 AM

What I did to cover all internet type transactions is opened a separate checking account with a debit/credit card and only keep enough in the account to cover whatever I'm purchasing on line. That way if someone gets the card number they are only getting whatever I put in there. If I need more in there it's an easy thing to transfer money from our regular account. This was recommended to me by my bank after someone got my card number and went on an online spending spree. It's also a good way to deal with vendors over the phone if you are apprehensive about them. Better safe than sorry.

Hicktick 05-10-2013 11:49 AM

Everyone watch out for scams . I got an e-mail that said my paypal account had been closed because of the wrong password entered .

They were directing me to a site to fix it . It was a scam .

msmaron 05-10-2013 01:09 PM

Ehhh there are pay pal scams done hourly.. remember this. Pay pal will ALWAYS address the note to you directly.,

Aok 05-10-2013 01:45 PM

The thing I like about paypal is I do not have to give my credit card #
I would look for another vendor selling what you want

William Kelchner 05-10-2013 02:09 PM

I made a number of purchases off Ebay over the years using a debit card. Recently I went to pay for something through PayPal as usual and I was denied because I reached some $2,000 total, despite using this card for years and years and having a perfect buyer record Ebay, I am now advised sorry you have to be "Verified". In other words I now have to link bank information, routing number, account number. Maybe its just me but I contacted PayPal and asked them to explain the logic behind this (other than making more money) and since I have a spotless payment record why am I being blocked. They yet to reply.

Ross/Kzoo 05-10-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicktick (Post 648929)
Everyone watch out for scams . I got an e-mail that said my paypal account had been closed because of the wrong password entered .

They were directing me to a site to fix it . It was a scam .

Whenever you get an email telling you that you have update your info or that your account will be closed NEVER use the link in the email. If you are curious just access the site the way that you normally do and look for any messages there.