The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bent OD Electric Windshield Wiper base (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210102)

Steve Plucker 12-01-2016 09:53 AM

Bent OD Electric Windshield Wiper base

How would one succefuly take the bend out of an OD Electric Windshield Wiper base?

The cover fits good except there is about an 1/8 of an inch bend at the top. This base is popmetal so I do not know how it would be done without breaking it.

Maybe I just sould live with it.

Repro bases suck.

Thanks.

Pluck

wrndln 12-01-2016 10:02 AM

Re: Bent OD Electric Windshield Wiper base

Steve,
OD electric wipers have a base made of pot metal. As you probably know, pot metal doesn't hold up well at all over time. I think trying to straighten the base would probably break it. New aluminum bases are available from Model A Wipers and model A parts suppliers. I had John Holland restore an OD-C1 for my 28 special coupe and an OD-O1 for my 29 phaeton. Both needed new bases, as the pot metal was bowed and badly cracked. I think if I were you, I would leave it alone for fear of breaking it or if you just can't live with the bow, replace it with a new aluminum base.
Rusty Nelson

d.j. moordigian 12-01-2016 10:17 AM

Steve,
I agree with Rusty. Just maybe, Tom could work a miracle with the JB weld,...call him.

Tom Wesenberg 12-01-2016 11:57 PM

If I'm the Tom, I can't work that kind of miracle.
I agree with Rusty to buy an aluminum base.

wrndln 12-02-2016 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dudley is referring to Tom Moniz. He took a badly broken pot metal cover for an OD-C3 electric wiper and restored it to perfect condition, mostly using J-B Weld. It was in a recent issue of Model A News or The Restorer magazine. He did an amazing job of putting the many pieces of the cover back together. I wouldn't attempt to do what he pulled off. I took a couple pictures of the article about Tom's excellent wiper cover restoration.
Rusty Nelson

Steven Ryan 12-02-2016 10:36 AM

I made them work fine after placing the legs on a belt sander. When you install the rubber end caps, all looks perfect.

d.j. moordigian 12-02-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1393473)
If I'm the Tom, I can't work that kind of miracle.
I agree with Rusty to buy an aluminum base.

Sorry Tom,....didn't mean to leave you out of the loop...
When you go to your Model A meeting with Rusty,...get the book from
the library,..good article..

david801 12-11-2016 06:10 PM

I have a OD-C1 with one of the mounting ears broken off. I purchased one of the reproduction bases from Bratton's. It was expensive. around $120. I was impressed how well it was made. The only thing I had to do it was use a Dremel to grind down around the outer edge a little so the cover fit better. I heard that the guy who was making these bases and other parts for the Owen Dyneto wipers has gone out of business.

100IH 12-12-2016 10:07 AM

Steve, I have had good luck straightening pot metal carbs on Farmall Cubs, not quite so old but subjected to much more heat than a wiper casting on an A. Worked cold using controlled force against an iron plate for support with shims, Nothing to loose if it's unusable now. Do a search on farmallcub.com. Mark Jacobson in Kuna.