The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   removing instrument panel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237085)

wingski 01-12-2018 11:38 PM

removing instrument panel

I’ve looked in all my manuals and can’t find instructions for removal of an instrument panel on a ’29. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mike

Mike V. Florida 01-13-2018 12:34 AM

Re: removing instrument panel

The silver thing with the instruments? Four screws and its out. The Dash panel that goes from door to door is a little different even between open and closed cars but I think there are only 6 screws.

3.6rs 01-13-2018 12:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wingski (Post 1578459)
I’ve looked in all my manuals and can’t find instructions for removal of an instrument panel on a ’29. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mike

Two pictures that say more then words

wingski 01-13-2018 01:47 AM

The reason I asked is because I think that fuel guage is hooked directly to the fuel tank since it isn’t electrical. Am I wrong, isn’t there a rod that goes directly from the guage to the float in the tank or can that thing be easily disconnected? I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about removing the face on the fuel guage and that it takes a special tool to remove it.

It would be nice to be able to find a diagram to see what the back of the instrument panel looks like.

I don’t think I’ve ever removed one. If I have, I sure don’t remember it.

Mike

Bill G 01-13-2018 01:59 AM

The gas gauge is separate. When you take the dash panel off, it just surrounds the gas gauge and the gauge stays on the tank. That way you can get to the ignition switch, the speedometer, the dash light and the ammeter without disturbing the gas gauge. The gas tank gauge requires an empty tank and a special tool to remove the chrome rosette surrounding the gauge.

You are correct that the float and indicator are mechanical. There is nothing electrical about that gauge.

If it isn't leaking or if it registers reasonably, and if you have no real reason to remove the gas gauge, I would advise against messing with that.

The other parts are easy. 4 screws, like others have said.

slammin 01-13-2018 03:38 AM

Mike,
Its best to disconnect the battery before removing the instrument panel.

Dollar Bill 01-13-2018 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a diagram but photo of back side to give you an idea of what you're up against.

Like Magicbox stated, the fuel gauge is mounted to the tank and is separate from the instrument panel.

Also a great recommendation to disconnect the battery cable.

Pixs is of later model but attaches in the same fashion as yours.

CT Jack 01-13-2018 08:13 AM

Curious, what are you trying to do? Do you want to see how things work or are you trying to fix something such as the fuel sight glass, guage, or a gauge leak. The fuel gauge sight glass is sealed with gaskets that are screwed into the fuel tank. When you see the liquid inside the fuel gauge that is gasoline. If you have a need to remove the sight glass or the gauge completely drain the fuel tank and disconnect the battery as mentioned in previous threads.

Anteek29 01-13-2018 09:44 AM

Wow...did not realize how basic things were behind that little panel :)

To_Lolo52 01-13-2018 12:02 PM

Yes indeed special tools need to remove the gas gauge. Two tools available. Your choice of sellers online. Do not repeat do not try and use anything other than the special tools (two each) one to hold outer nut, one to hold inner star shaped gauge. View Richpins video on Youtube on how to adjust level of float arm.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Gary WA 01-13-2018 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Must Have Tells All!

1930-Pickup 01-13-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1578702)

Good advice. Beginners to Master Mechanics use this book.

Tom Wesenberg 01-14-2018 01:08 AM

Be sure to use ONLY the cork gaskets.

3.6rs 01-14-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1578702)

Well, this is the tought of most of the forum users.
I bought the 3 books a few months ago but it's my most disapointed buy in years ! That is what I think about it of coarse...

Ford1930 01-14-2018 01:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here some picture of the Instrument Panel (backside), the Dash without the IP and the parts of the gas gauge as they came off from my 180A.

Chris Haynes 01-14-2018 02:35 PM

The "Special Tool" is available through most Model A parts vendors. It is not expensive and is easy to use. Most likely someone in your local club has one.
The first time I filled the tank on my car I discovered the previous owner had assembled the gauge without gaskets.