The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Panhard Bar ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227050)

duke36 08-17-2017 05:00 PM

Rear Panhard Bar ?

We "inherited" a rear panhard bar (left side only) on our tn sedan. Looks like one from vendor's catalogues.
Is it beneficial without a front bar? Also, can it induce any stresses on the rear suspension or cause any rear body lean due to improper adjustment?

steve s 08-17-2017 05:36 PM

Re: Rear Panhard Bar ?

I have both front and rear on my town sedan. The rear made a big difference; I noticed very little change after adding the front. The object is to stabilize against the sideways oscillations that are permitted by the transverse "buggy" spring shackles. I think this is most important in a heavy-back-end model, such as the town sedan.

I don't think it can hurt anything. it's set up when the car is at rest so that there is no load, or stress, when the body is centered where it's supposed to be. Although it sort of looks like it only works on the left side, it actually works across the entire car width. Ideally, the bar would span the width of the car, but I guess they couldn't figure out a way to do that with the Model A.

I was very impressed with the immediate improvement in how stable, or more modern, the car felt after I installed the rear Panhard. I would not be without it.

bettlesr 08-17-2017 05:42 PM

I also have two panhard bars. The rear made a bigger difference than the front.

glenn in camino 08-17-2017 07:30 PM

I've been thinking of adding both to my deluxe delivery as it feels unstable on tours when it's fully loaded with travel stuff.

duke36 09-28-2017 06:48 PM

Sorry to revisit this thread, but is the rear panhard bar only OK with tube shocks all around? The front bar won't fit with front tube shocks and not sure any front sidesway compensation is needed...

bettlesr 09-28-2017 09:56 PM

For a long time I had the rear bar with tube shocks. No problems.

Smog Tech 09-28-2017 10:12 PM

I use the rear bar with tube shocks, no problem.

gearloose 02-10-2018 03:31 PM

What vendor carries them for the A?

Y-Blockhead 02-10-2018 03:59 PM

Snyder's does but they spell it wrong... :p:p http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/rear-pannard-bar

I have one on the rear of my Town Sedan, really helps in the Big Cars.

steve s 02-10-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearloose (Post 1591323)
What vendor carries them for the A?

Snyders used to. If they don't anymore, maybe they could give you their supplier. I got mine from some California outfit--maybe, A&L or something like that. Maybe Gene Scott?

gearloose 02-10-2018 04:41 PM

Thanks

Purdy Swoft 02-10-2018 06:12 PM

I have the rear and front panhard bars on our roadster . The rear is the important one to use . I'm not sure that the front does much .The panhard bar stabilizes the ride on turns. The model A rear end can slightly swing with the rear spring shackles in sharp turns, especially if accellerateing .The panhard . prevents side sway. I use friction shocks with mine.

George Miller 02-10-2018 06:50 PM

I think the front bar would only help if you went in to a sharp turn to fast.
The rear works good on heavy cars like stated above.

SteveB31 02-10-2018 08:46 PM

Bert’s has them modelastore.com

Purdy Swoft 02-10-2018 11:32 PM

My roadster is a light car and the rear panhard bar helped it quite a bit . I don't use the panhard bars on my heavier sedans and they never felt like they needed one .

steve s 02-11-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1591531)
My roadster is a light car and the rear panhard bar helped it quite a bit . I don't use the panhard bars on my heavier sedans and they never felt like they needed one .

I'm always struck by how if you ask enough people you will hear exactly opposite opinions on any issue having to do with Model As. I wonder if there is even a short list of things that absolutely everyone agrees on?

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-11-2018 10:34 AM

I once did a valve re-grind on a car called a "DYNA-PANHARD"---The Owners' Manual was in FRENCH!
Bill Can'tread

Y-Blockhead 02-11-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1591635)
I once did a valve re-grind on a car called a "DYNA-PANHARD"---The Owners' Manual was in FRENCH!
Bill Can'tread

Yes, Panhard is a French auto manufacturer and inventor of the Panhard bar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

hardtimes 02-11-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve s (Post 1591620)
I'm always struck by how if you ask enough people you will hear exactly opposite opinions on any issue having to do with Model As. I wonder if there is even a short list of things that absolutely everyone agrees on?

'short list' ?
Yes....very short , like oil usage :rolleyes:! Or how to spell Model eh :).

Q: If Panhard is French origin, what is Pannard origin ?

zzlegend 02-11-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve s (Post 1591620)

Kind of reminds me of a thread a while back, on how far people run their GAV open. Most, but not all say 1/4 turn. I stated my would run much better and smoother at about 1/2 to 3/4 open. And someone came back stated ,,,, " anyone see a problem with this" ?
Oh wait a minute,,,,,,,that was you that said that. :confused: Go figure. :eek: Ok, now back to Panhard bars.