The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is this hole behind my oil pump gear normal? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302023)

50MercMetalHead 08-03-2021 09:52 PM

Is this hole behind my oil pump gear normal?

So, I’m looking at my block trying to understand and plan for the 95% mod and I noticed an interesting hole behind the oil pump drive gear. From what I can see, it just dumps straight back into the crankcase. I did some googling to try to see if other blocks had this hole and the one picture I saw showed one in that spot, but it was much different, like a drilled hole instead of the hole in my block which looks like it’s a chunk missing. If it matters, this is a 49-53 8CM. Thanks in advance. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...32da5b00f1.jpg

51 MERC-CT 08-04-2021 12:34 AM

Re: Is this hole behind my oil pump gear normal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50MercMetalHead (Post 2042509)
So, I’m looking at my block trying to understand and plan for the 95% mod and I noticed an interesting hole behind the oil pump drive gear. From what I can see, it just dumps straight back into the crankcase. I did some googling to try to see if other blocks had this hole and the one picture I saw showed one in that spot, but it was much different, like a drilled hole instead of the hole in my block which looks like it’s a chunk missing. If it matters, this is a 49-53 8CM. Thanks in advance.

Although a little different shape, the two I looked at are the same.
Gives a place for residual oil in the valve chamber to drain back to the pan while providing a little lubrication to the gears.

50MercMetalHead 08-04-2021 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2042552)
Although a little different shape, the two I looked at are the same.

Thank you. Would be interested to know why that's there if anybody can tell me. I haven't gotten the books I ordered yet, maybe they will say.

36rgtop 08-04-2021 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50MercMetalHead (Post 2042553)
Thank you. Would be interested to know why that's there if anybody can tell me. I haven't gotten the books I ordered yet, maybe they will say.

Read post #2 again.

50MercMetalHead 08-04-2021 12:47 AM

Ah, I think he edited to add that since I replied, or I am blind. Thanks.

V8COOPMAN 08-04-2021 01:56 AM

50MercMetalHead

This will be an "EDIT Test". DD

"THIS is edited"! Note "EDIT and time mark below in italics!

He DID NOT Edit!

Desoto291Hemi 08-04-2021 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just went downstairs and checked my block .
It’s a 49 Merc,,,,,and has the exact same shaped hole there as yours .
Yours is perfectly normal,,,,don’t worry .
I took some pics but it is bolted to an engine stand,,,so the pics are not perfect .
And it’s a bear to post pics here .

Tommy

50MercMetalHead 08-04-2021 04:12 PM

Thanks for checking. Appreciate it.

As for my confusion on the possible edit, I noticed it didn’t say it was edited, but I quoted that reply, and looking at my quote it didn’t have the second part, I also don’t remember seeing it before I replied the first time so that’s why I thought it was edited in. Maybe a glitch on my end cause I’ve got some wacky middle-of-nowhere internet. Doesn’t matter in the slightest though, I got the info I was after and I am thankful.

JWL 08-05-2021 04:34 AM

That "hole" prevents pressure potential in the gear case which could lead to serious leakage at the gasket face. If you pressure feed your oiling system and observe the outflow into the lifter galley you will see what that hole is all about.

The fit of the oil pump in the block is not perfect. Some worse than others. Also the pressurized oil escapes through the upper pump bushing of which much goes into the gear case.