The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tie Rod - Original vs. Repro (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232650)

dmaxweb 11-05-2017 01:07 PM

Tie Rod - Original vs. Repro

The new tie rods sold by the vendors are solid whereas the originals are hollow with plugged ends.

Which is stronger/better for a tie rod?

wrndln 11-05-2017 01:22 PM

Re: Tie Rod - Original vs. Repro

I don't think it makes much of a difference. With today's much nicer roads (streets really), model A's have a much easier life than in the 30's, 40's and 50's. Bending a 5/8" solid repro rod isn't easy.
Rusty Nelson

Brian T 11-05-2017 01:33 PM

For as many hollow tie rods that were made I would not believe there was a safety issue with them, the new rods would be already to paint and install, pick a vender close to you and save the shipping.

glenn in camino 11-05-2017 08:21 PM

Hollow is stronger.

Will Ziegler in LI NY 11-05-2017 08:39 PM

I thought it would be the opposite.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-06-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn in camino (Post 1548569)
Hollow is stronger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Ziegler in LI NY (Post 1548575)
I thought it would be the opposite.

Well Yes & No. Define stronger in which direction. If you are saying linear pulling, the rod is stronger. If you are comparing bending, the outer mass on both equal the rod and the tube is what resists the bending motion. The way to say this is, when a Hollow tube and a Solid rod of the same mass are compared, the hollow will be stronger.

wrndln 11-06-2017 09:22 AM

Brent,
How can a hollow rod and a solid rod be the same mass, unless the hollow rod is much larger? Solid and hollow tierods are the same size, so does than mean the solid rod is stronger?
Rusty Nelson

Simonpie 11-06-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1548712)
Well Yes & No. Define stronger in which direction. If you are saying linear pulling, the rod is stronger. If you are comparing bending, the outer mass on both equal the rod and the tube is what resists the bending motion. The way to say this is, when a Hollow tube and a Solid rod of the same mass are compared, the hollow will be stronger.

So, are you telling me the original rod was a larger OD? I can see how that would be much stiffer in bending and buckling. I'm just not sure I've ever seen one like that. I would think it would be prone to rubbing on the drag link.

History 11-06-2017 09:37 AM

I'm not an engineer but I think it would work like this, if I can articulate my thinking. Think of the bends in the thin sheet metal used on cars today, the bedside of a pickup truck. Bends are made to add strength. With a hollow tube unless it's struck with something to cause the bend it has two more surface areas than a solid rod to be bent.

I may be off on my thinking but I think I'm close. With trees there is a compression side and a tension side and one has to fail before the other will.

Not sure I explained what's in my mind.

History, uneducated

Sorry Bill I had to steal that.

Kevin in NJ 11-06-2017 09:47 AM

Why more questions need to asked beyond bending. I will say I do not have the answers to any of the below questions.

What metals are involved?

How well are the threads formed that hold the ends?

What metal is used on the threaded ends?

How well is it welded?

There are enough good originals out there. My choice is always going to be to locate a good original. They hold up well and never had issues with stripping out.

Which brings me to my neighbors across the street with their fairly new (at the time) Saturn car. The factory tie rod end stripped out of the socket while driving. So is newer better?

SeaSlugs 11-06-2017 10:11 AM

just to throw a stick in the wheel the AA tie rods used the same tierod ends as the standard A but the rod itself is fatter and hollow in the middle for added strength
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4241/...d6b69447_c.jpgDSC04122 by Bob Bobbington, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4266/...2d176e65_c.jpgDSC04121 by Bob Bobbington, on Flickr

Sparky 11-06-2017 10:47 AM

Take it from a mechanical engineer, if the material and outer diameter are identical, a solid rod will be stronger in both tension/compression and bending than a hollow rod, end of story. Don't make me break out the math! :eek:

BillCNC 11-06-2017 11:22 AM

This should settle it once and for all, ...

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...e-diameter-o-d

Regards
Bill

Fullraceflathead 11-06-2017 11:31 AM

The Original Hollow ones will bend easily compared to a solid one.

Sparky 11-06-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1548784)
This should settle it once and for all, ...

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...e-diameter-o-d

Regards
Bill

Not so much. The math is correct, but the discussion is comparing hollow rods and solid rods of equal mass; i.e. a larger-diameter hollow rod. For the Model A tie rod, the solid repros are the same diameter as the hollow originals. The repros will be heavier, but stronger.

wrndln 11-06-2017 12:14 PM

I agree with Sparky. Like I mentioned before in this string, I really don't think it matters whether the tie rod is hollow (original) or solid (repro) - it is strong enough either way. I think Ford was trying to save some steel by making it hollow. I think we are getting bent around the axle, I mean "tie rod", so to speak.
Rusty Nelson

larrys40 11-06-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 1548388)
The new tie rods sold by the vendors are solid whereas the originals are hollow with plugged ends.

Which is stronger/better for a tie rod?

Don,
As some of the guys said I don't think it really matters for the average driver. Main thing is that it's straight and can rotate freely in the threads.

The current repros from the key suppliers are just fine.
All the best!
Larry

PS.. been gone but answered your pM.

ursus 11-06-2017 08:51 PM

Mass has quality and metallurgy counts. The comparison should be based upon the relative strength of Ford's hollow tie rod versus a solid rod from Chairman Mao's backyard foundry.

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-06-2017 09:06 PM

OVERTHINKING, AGAIN, spare me, please!
Bill W.

ursus 11-06-2017 09:26 PM

Mass has quality and metallurgy counts. The comparison should be based upon the relative strength of Ford's hollow tie rod versus a solid rod from Chairman Mao's backyard foundry.