The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Ford Fender Debate (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268290)

jon reiff 08-22-2019 11:34 AM

Model A Ford Fender Debate

I am helping a friend with his 31Tudor, it has maroon fenders. The explanation was that this was done for Mexico or arid temperature locations. Is this correct or the previous owners justification for it. Was it a true Ford production for that market.

Mike Peters 08-22-2019 11:55 AM

Re: Model A Ford Fender Debate

As far as I know, ALL fenders were painted black from the factory. Check your friend's fenders carefully for signs of a repaint.

Purdy Swoft 08-22-2019 12:08 PM

I agree with Mike !!!

chrs1961815 08-22-2019 12:43 PM

As far as I know (and not to put your friend down) that is not true.

rotorwrench 08-22-2019 12:44 PM

Ford Dearborn and the assembly agencies around the US didn't have variation on fender & running board apron unless it would have been a special fleet order. Most fleet orders would have been commercial vehicles in that era. Mexico had an assembly agency beginning in 1925 but they were likely building up knock down kits from the US in that time frame. There is not much information about the early production in Mexico so it's hard to say. I wouldn't say no but I would say that it is doubtful.

The fender wells in the body were even painted black to match after a time. The early cars had body color there but customers complained since it was visible through the wire wheels and dealers started painting those areas for the customers until Ford made the change.

Oldbluoval 08-22-2019 12:55 PM

All fenders dipped in black enamel prior to assembly as far as I know

F.M. 08-22-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1790780)
ford dearborn and the assembly agencies around the us didn't have variation on fender & running board apron unless it would have been a special fleet order. Most fleet orders would have been commercial vehicles in that era. Mexico had an assembly agency beginning in 1925 but they were likely building up knock down kits from the us in that time frame. There is not much information about the early production in mexico so it's hard to say. I wouldn't say no but i would say that it is doubtful.

The fender wells in the body were even painted black to match after a time. The early cars had body color there but customers complained since it was visible through the wire wheels and dealers started painting those areas for the customers until ford made the change.

wrong !!

Dick Steinkamp 08-22-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon reiff (Post 1790751)
I am helping a friend with his 31Tudor, it has maroon fenders. The explanation was that this was done for Mexico or arid temperature locations. Is this correct or the previous owners justification for it. Was it a true Ford production for that market.

"Arid temperatures" doesn't really mean anything :confused:.

Arid refers to an area with little rainfall and doesn't describe temperature either high or low.

The reference to Mexico may be an attempt to mean the maroon fenders would apply to hot climates?

Much of Mexico including many major cites are between 6-8,000' and have a quite temperate climate due to the elevation.

In any case, I can't see any science or other reasons to paint fenders maroon for either hot or arid climate markets.

Y-Blockhead 08-22-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.M. (Post 1790793)
wrong !!

Could you elaborate a little please. So we know what is "wrong !!".

That is the second time (that I have seen) you have given an answer like that and it doesn't help in the discussion at all.

Neil Wilson 08-24-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1790806)
Could you elaborate a little please. So we know what is "wrong !!".

That is the second time (that I have seen) you have given an answer like that and it doesn't help in the discussion at all.

Y-Blockhead, I fully agree. I just ignore these types of responses.

Joe K 08-24-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Wilson (Post 1791428)

Correct!

Sorry. Bit of wry humor there.

Joe K

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-24-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Wilson (Post 1791428)

That is pretty much the same reason why Fred Morse (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=699) was banned before, ...and why he just re-registered under the new FM username.

Bob Bidonde 08-25-2019 11:31 AM

Hi Jon,
If it's Scott's car, his Tudor was built in Canada. Fenders the fenders, running board shields and radiator apron were originally black, but I like Scott's car the way it is.

100IH 08-25-2019 12:02 PM

Is this a pull my finger scenario?

Railcarmover 08-25-2019 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The dip conveyor at Long Beach assembly,heading into the oven..amazing they just dip it and it comes out good..on the other hand maybe it didn't come out so good..

California Travieso 08-25-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1791767)
The dip conveyor at Long Beach assembly,heading into the oven..amazing they just dip it and it comes out good..on the other hand maybe it didn't come out so good..

They came out GOOD ENOUGH for Henry!

David Serrano

Railcarmover 08-25-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 1791772)
They came out GOOD ENOUGH for Henry!

David Serrano

exactly...wonder if a car off the line would pass fine point judging?

Y-Blockhead 08-25-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1791790)

Haha, That's a good one... :p:p

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-26-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1791790)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1791796)
Haha, That's a good one... :p:p

Why sure, ...why wouldn't it? From my experiences in fine point (-both showing and adjudicating) it is unauthentic materials or incorrect parts used that usually causes the biggest scoring deductions. The second biggest area that many get a deduction for is over-restoration. In the case of the fender finish, the fenders were originally new metal that was stamped. There was a department that 'tuned-up' the metal if there were any flaws created in the stamping process such as a deep scratch or maybe if the fender was bumped as it was removed during handling. So you had new metal without pits or dents that was wiped down and dipped into a thick Black alkyd enamel with a bonderizer and then removed for drying in a steam oven. The fenders were free of trash and orange peel because of the dipping process. When the fender had dried, it was lightly sanded with sandpaper and then re-dipped into another vat of Black enamel. Because of the way the fender was dipped and hung, all excess paint flowed off the edge and the finish was super slick. Today the finish must color-sanded and buffed to replicate the original finish. The same with wheels and other parts. So yes, a Model-A fresh off the assembly line should score well.

dave in australia 08-26-2019 04:21 PM

The only in black is true for US cars, but down here in Australia, Model A's came with different coloured mudguards and wheels. One combination was tan body with brown mudguards and wheels, other combinations were available. One of my earlier posts afew years ago has the full list of available combinations.