The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stuck engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239163)

TJMack 02-13-2018 08:00 PM

Stuck engine

Here's another quick story about my Garage Sale Model A.

To my chagrin the engine was stuck tight but as it turned out that wasn’t the problem it could have been.

Upon getting the car home I removed the spark plugs and filled the cylinders with a mixture of equal parts (I didn’t measure) diesel fuel, Marvel Mystery Oil and automatic transmission fluid. I figured at least one of them would do the job. It did.

After setting for a month, while I did a lot of the other jobs that needed attention, I took the starter off and put a screw driver to the flywheel. It broke free quite easily.

I figured when I got it running that I'd end up doing an overhaul on the engine so I bought a complete gasket set. I dropped the pan and checked everything out and cleaned the pan and oil pump, then put the pan back on with the old gaskets as I figured it wouldn't be on long anyway.

It's still on, and to my utter amazement the engine doesn't use any oil, either from burning or leaking. I can't believe it.

So, for what it's worth , maybe someone else can benefit from this and some of my other experiences with my first Model A.

KGBnut 02-13-2018 08:24 PM

Re: Stuck engine

Sounds promising. You may be able to just flush it out and run it. The one other thing that I would have done while the pan was off was to have adjusted all the bearings.

Enjoy it!

Ken

Jacksonlll 02-13-2018 09:41 PM

My guess is, the starter pinion was hung up on the ring gear and everyone just thought the engine was stuck. When you took off the starter , that fixed it. Just a thought.

TJMack 02-14-2018 07:02 PM

No, it was definitely stuck. As we towed it home we tried to get it to turn over but the tires just skidded. And when I put in the witches brew it just sat there for days, and on some cylinders for weeks without going down. Eventually most of it found it's way to the oil pan. And I had to pry a little on the flywheel to make it break free.

700rpm 02-14-2018 08:20 PM

I would be afraid of breaking a flywheel tooth or cracking the flywheel housing by prying on the flywheel with a screwdriver.

TJMack 02-15-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMack (Post 1593035)
And I had to pry a little on the flywheel to make it break free.

I'd be afraid of worrying too much. :-)

:)

nhusa 02-15-2018 07:18 PM

Scaredy cats!!!

TJ was lucky the witches brew worked for him.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it dosen’t

Good for him!

In my case all the snake oil and time, did nothing but there was hope because of the suggestions and results others had experienced.

TJ thanks for the info and I hope others can use your experience to save a motor.

700rpm 02-15-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMack (Post 1593473)
I'd be afraid of worrying too much. :-)

:)

Just tryin’ to help you benefit from my experiences with over 50 years in Model A’s. :rolleyes:

Experience keeps a dear school.

Terry, NJ 02-15-2018 11:06 PM

Just a gew points I'd like to make. One, after you've run it for a little while (10 - 15 mins) drain all the oil out and throw it away, then replace. Reason? as time goes by and the engine isn't running, it collects moisture on the cam , lifters, cyl. walls etc. The action of running scrapes the rust off these parts and floats it through the system. If it it is left in the engine, it will cause serious wear. Two, Clear the oil screen thoroughly. I bought an engine that had a clogged oil screen (70 -80%) and surprise, surprise! The center main was shot! Some old-timers didn't think oil changes were important and sludge was just a necessary evil that you lived with. The "witches brew" that you conjured up was a good one for the purpose. Good luck with it!
Terry

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-16-2018 08:35 AM

Filling the crankcase to OVERFLOWING, with Diesel & a 2 week wait, will often free a stuck engine.
Bill W.

BillEbob 02-16-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1593654)
Filling the crankcase to OVREFLOWING, with Diesel & a 2 week wait, will often free a stuck engine.
Bill W.

Bill,
Isn't that what the doctor did to you last time!

LOL 😂 😂

Bill Comic

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-16-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillEbob (Post 1593659)
Bill,
Isn't that what the doctor did to you last time!

LOL 😂 😂

Bill Comic

NO,Man, I used an M-80 FIRECRACKER--------

TJMack 02-16-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1593535)
Just tryin’ to help you benefit from my experiences with over 50 years in Model A’s. :rolleyes:

Experience keeps a dear school.

I understand, and fully agree. No offense intended, just trying to make light of your concern. I'm sure everyone on this forum appreciates your input.

tinkirk 02-16-2018 08:41 PM

Might want too put a pan underneath to catch what runs out the rear bearing area because it will run out
Found that out the hard way
Made a big mess on the floor
Tinkirk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk