The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   pinstripe paint removal while wet (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10501)

Bruce_MO 08-11-2010 02:56 PM

pinstripe paint removal while wet

I'll be masking and striping my "A" with One-Shot paint shortly, and I was wondering what solvent I would use if I had to clean up a mistake and start over. The car is painted with acrylic enamel w/ hardener.

Would I use enamel reducer? mineral spirits? I don't want to mess up my base color. Thanks for your advice.

Craig Lewis 08-11-2010 03:08 PM

Re: pinstripe paint removal while wet

Mineral spirits would be perfect.
Alternatively, turpentine or a mild "final wipe solvent" (used just before spray painting) such as Proform PF603.
None of these will effect cured automotive paint as a wipe.

Bruce_MO 08-11-2010 04:25 PM

Thanks for your insights. I appreciate it!

Doug in NJ 08-11-2010 04:32 PM

Whatever you decide to use, test it first: Put some one-shot paint on something, let it dry a few minutes, and see if you can remove it. If you have anything lying around that was painted with the enamel (discarded used masking tape?), you could also check that the solvent won't mess it up.

Doug

Craig Lewis 08-11-2010 05:12 PM

The following doesn't apply to your situation, but...One shot lettering enamel can be removed years later with East Off oven cleaner. I learned this from a sign painter.

**DON'T DO THIS with your fresh paint job:eek:
....but I've used easy off to get the company lettering off my truck after 5 years and it softens up in a minute, then you can peel it off with a credit card.
Reasonable care should be taken to get it off the paint work in a few minutes.
I hand waxed it afterwards and the original paint looked fine.

1929closed cab 08-11-2010 09:22 PM

Right... on the oven cleaner...One of my best freinds is an old pinstripe r ...and that's what he has used all his life...told me he was taught that from a guy who stripped cars at the factory.

davis57ford 08-12-2010 04:12 AM

Not trying to be an ashole. But if u r gonna stripe it yourself, and u dont know what to use to remove a screw up maybe u shouldnt do it yourself, let a pro striper do it then u dont have to worry about messing up, u get what u pay for!

Al NJ 08-12-2010 05:51 AM

Since you guys mentioned Easy-Off, I'll tell you that it works well MOST of the time but I removed lettering from a truck once and it stained the factory paint. I would test every time!

Gary/IA 08-12-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davis57ford (Post 60371)
Not trying to be an ashole. But if u r gonna stripe it yourself, and u dont know what to use to remove a screw up maybe u shouldnt do it yourself, let a pro striper do it then u dont have to worry about messing up, u get what u pay for!

Bruce, I don't know you but I am betting you can do it just fine. Take your time, do your homework (as you are doing here), and proceed. I have seen some beautiful paint jobs done by beginners. Remember, even the "Pro" had to do his 1st job.:)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-12-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary/IA (Post 60397)
Remember, even the "Pro" had to do his 1st job.:)

While I definitely feel like your advice has wisdom, generally speaking, most pinstripers I know have practiced a long time striping everything in their eyeseight that was junk (walls, refridgerators, mirrors, windows, etc.) BEFORE they embarqued on striping something that had value. THAT may be a topic for another thread but it sure seems like many folks now seem to want to by-pass the 'practice & learn first' stages and just move to the front of the line with expectations of it coming out perfect.

james hitchcock 08-12-2010 10:06 AM

If it were me I'd opt for the professional. When I was younger I did the masking and sprayed on the stripe. I was never happy with the flow of the line and hated the edge caused by masking. I did one time get the roll of stick on striping at Pep Boys so I could see what pattern I wanted. It looked so good I left it on when my appointment was canceled at the paint shop. a year later when I did decide to remove it , it came off very clean.
James.

Gary/IA 08-12-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james hitchcock (Post 60499)
If it were me I'd opt for the professional. When I was younger I did the masking and sprayed on the stripe. I was never happy with the flow of the line and hated the edge caused by masking. I did one time get the roll of stick on striping at Pep Boys so I could see what pattern I wanted. It looked so good I left it on when my appointment was canceled at the paint shop. a year later when I did decide to remove it , it came off very clean.
James.

A method of striping that worked well for me is as follows: I masked around the belt rail and then painted the entire belt rail the color of the pin stripe, I then applied a thin vinyl masking tape where I wanted the stripe. I then painted over this with the belt rail color (all thin coats) and then removed the thin strip of tape. There was my pin stripe. I then applied my clear coat. Just don't pile on the paint and you will have a very nice even sharp pin stripe. Just another way of doing it when you get to old and shaky to do it by hand.:)

Jim Parker Toronto 08-12-2010 10:17 PM

Bruce, go ahead and try it, its your car. Even in French Lick they were showing the kids how to do it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and on your own car is a good place to learn. I am sure that whatever you do, you will be proud of it! Never mind mind all the negative comments above, its your car, not his!

james hitchcock 08-13-2010 12:30 AM

I didn't notice any negative comments, just suggestions. All have tried different things and I would never tell anyone what to do or not do with his A. I certainly don't go by the book. I go to the Barn for suggestions, nothing says I have to listen to any of them. Enjoy your car.
James.

Steve Miller 08-13-2010 06:45 AM

Anybody ever use a Beugler pin striping tool to stripe?
Thanks

Aerocraft 08-13-2010 01:00 PM

Yes, the tool has worked very well for me. It was fairly easy to learn how to use it although I striped a lot of scrap first. I use One Shot. Have done a number of members cars, even one that went through fine point without any known deductions. It is fun to use. There is a bit of a trick to get the paint to flow out and not have "serrated" edges. Once that was mastered, my friends and I have been very pleased with the results. Gar Williams

29RPU 08-14-2010 12:20 AM

I don't know, but I sure wouldn't suggest masking for a pinstripe. It' not a negative comment, no more than someone asking how to clean an icepick after digging a trench. Wouldn't you steer them towards a shovel, or equipment? Masking is far too difficult to get a straight line, much less a line that is even in thickness without jagged edges IMO. I'm a do-it-myself kind of guy, but I would suggest that Bruce get one of those stripers that has the little adjustable arm that you can use as a guide....I think it is a roller of some sort. Maybe that is what was mentioned above, I don't know what they are called. That should give a nice, even line, and if you follow a bodyline carefully, it should be straight.

If I had started this post, I'd want all the input possible before I started and I'd want to know what has worked and has NOT worked for people. Don't worry, Bruce will make up his own mind and do what he wants. As for me, I'll keep the negative comments coming if I think it might help somebody.

Aerocraft 08-14-2010 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tool is a "Buegler" paint pinstriping tool "made since 1934". I have seen footage of Ford production line pinstriping where it appears that the striper is using a tool very similar to the picture I have attached. As purchased, the tool came with a number of different sized wheels. They are also made with dual wheels where you can lay down two stripes at once. Hopefully, the picture shows enough detail to see the magnetic plastic strip that is used as a guide for the arm attached to the tool. As I recall, it was just over $100 for the tool and accessories. It has worked well for me. Gar Williams