The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wood spoke VS wire spoke rims (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271468)

dmdeaton 10-24-2019 09:18 AM

Wood spoke VS wire spoke rims

New to the T side and gathering parts to build a speedster. Locals are telling me to to source wire wheels for the build. I know finding a set of wood is more work and expense but would be cool. What can you all tell me?

rotorwrench 10-24-2019 10:01 AM

Re: Wood spoke VS wire spoke rims

1926 & 27 were the ones that came with welded wire spoke wheels. There is nothing wrong with a Hickory spoke wheel. I'm sure there are aftermarket spoke wheels available somewhere that will fit and look more like a racing wheel for a speedster if a person wants to go that route.

redmodelt 10-24-2019 10:52 AM

A good set of 1926/27 Ford wire wheels and hubs is going to be be in the $1000-1400 just to buy no work done and after market wire wheels, way over that for hubs and wheels maybe 3 to 5 X's that by time you are done. You could re-spoke your own wood wheels buying spokes from the suppliers for about 140 for each wheel plus shipping add the cost of cleaning your hubs and rims etc. Lots of videos on You-Tube how to do it. if you don't want to re-spoke your self, there are a number of people that can do it for your. ball park would be about the cost of the Ford wire wheels or less.

Another option would be to buy a set of adapters to use the Model A wire wheel.

You have a highly recommended wood wheel shop close to you, might be close enough that you could drop off and pick up if you go the wood wheel route;

Stutzman Shaft & Wheel Works

Melvin A. Stutzman
33650 County Rd. 12
Baltic, OH 43804

330-897-1381

AzBob 10-24-2019 11:24 AM

Brand new 21” wire wheels available at Snyder’s for $435 ea. Paint them or have them powder coated and you are done. Tires are quite easy to mount on the wire rims as well. Not unlike mounting a bicycle tire.

Original 21” wires on my T all had issues, rust, flat spots, bent spokes etc. I sold all 4 of them for $125. Only kept one for the spare which was the best of the lot.

With the aforementioned need for wire wheel hubs, Wooden spokes would be the less expensive option.

39portlander 10-24-2019 06:02 PM

Arizona Bob's got it, finding original rims will be hard any way and getting a good set after cleaning and prepping in hopes that they are safe and road worthy will come with a lot of "sweat equity".

What I can tell you is I like speedsters with wire wheels, what I can also tell you is I have given up looking for used and now saving for four new wire rims and as Red has stated opting for the adapters for my wood hubs.

The other current problem with wood is the availability of the good 21" split rims with bolt style rim latch, with the lugs fitted into a slot welded as originals.

Your In good hands with the group involved with the Tickin T's, lots of talented folks in the big "O". Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Speedster Jeff 10-24-2019 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1571964579. Don’t discount the use of A wheels. This is our 23 with 21” A wheels.

dmdeaton 10-25-2019 08:19 AM

Thanks for the pic Jeff
Looks great with the A wheels
I just sourced 5 used A rims for my 31 as it came with 16’s when we bought it.

dmdeaton 10-27-2019 07:34 PM

Found a set of spokes with hubs!!

BUBBAS IGNITION 10-28-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmdeaton (Post 1813283)
New to the T side and gathering parts to build a speedster. Locals are telling me to to source wire wheels for the build. I know finding a set of wood is more work and expense but would be cool. What can you all tell me?

Snyder auto sells new wire wheels , worth every dime of it .:eek::)

JoeBauer 10-29-2019 06:34 AM

Another factor is how fast you want to go. Over 35 requires wheels that are true, no wobble, or vibration sets in. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Wire spokes have to be straight.

I ended up with new wire spoke wheels like mentioned before, with Balance Beads in the tubes. Runs 60 smoothly, no problems.

dumb person 10-30-2019 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have to, don't be afraid to try fitting or even making new spokes.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1572423523
It is taking some time but i am slowly making new spokes.
Never made spokes before. The hardest part was finding the wood.

hillsideyard 11-07-2019 02:56 AM

Were you able to make a decision on which rims are you going to use?

redmodelt 11-07-2019 03:00 AM

See post No 8

Steve in NJ 11-14-2019 05:38 PM

What does a nice lookin' set of 4 wooden spoke wheels sell for with nice whitewall tires on them? I have a set on a 26 T coupe....
Steve

BTW, that Speedster looks sweeet!

redmodelt 11-14-2019 08:15 PM

Ball park without seeing them 400-600 range depending on condition and if the rims are good. Less if the spokes are loose and dried out. I don't think there is much price difference between 21 and 30X3-1/2.

29spcoupe 11-15-2019 07:27 AM

Coker sells 21 inch white wall tires for Model A's. The 26-27 Model T takes the same size.

redmodelt 11-15-2019 10:22 AM

Duh on my part. I am use to thinking 30X3-1/2 when it comes to T's. A good friends of mine has an early 26 coupe was sold new with the 30" wheels. I will revise my posting re the white walls but think value would still be in the ball park I posted without seeing them and knowing the age of tires.