The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not your Grandparent's left turn. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27475)

roccaas 01-30-2011 10:25 PM

Not your Grandparent's left turn.

A new highway cloverleaf design from FRANCE!

http://www.time.com/time/video/playe...044949,00.html

Christoph 01-31-2011 10:19 AM

Re: Not your Grandparent's left turn.

Nice one - but have a look on this one too:

Use "google maps" with the words:

"The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, United Kingdom"

Change to "satellite" and "drive" with your finger from one road
to another.. But dont crash your finger.....

have fun
Christoph

Tom Wesenberg 01-31-2011 12:13 PM

What a ridiculous mess! I'll bet France stole the idea from the Minnesota highway dept.:)

Clydes 31 P/U 01-31-2011 01:45 PM

Introducing The ethanol of road design

Jason in TX 01-31-2011 02:06 PM

Interesting. I see how the left hand turn lane once you cross the bridge will no longer have to wait to turn left...

But now the people wanting to go straight will have to wait at the light.

Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul to me.

ryan1929 01-31-2011 02:10 PM

I hope Canada does not get any ideas about this crazy mess.....

MikeK 01-31-2011 07:05 PM

If you're a pedestrian how the H do you get across the street? OK, limited access highways only, no two legged road-kill. Looks like it will cost billions! I vote YES, start now using YOUR tax money. To help finance it, unemployed and retired people should pay double taxes, 'cause they drive around 24/7 while the working guys have their cars parked. The French invented it, let's see if the French drivers are the first to surrender, taking another route to avoid vehicular combat. Is this the modern incarnation of a plague of frogs?

Tim Armstrong 02-01-2011 10:55 AM

We have one in Springfield Mo. where you enter I44, it works great, keeps the left turn traffic moving of the access road.

Aerocraft 02-01-2011 11:00 AM

The "new" intersection design is pending here in Naperville, IL for a busy intersection with I-88. This one will be similar to the one in Springfield, MO at a junction with I-44. Seems like an awful lot of money to me....... Gar Williams

dan 02-01-2011 12:14 PM

From the people that brought you such good ideas as escargot, the guillotine, and collaboration with the NSDP.

BTW, anyone want to buy a two-sided (allies/axis) uniform? I can also get you a deal on a really nice WWII rifle, never been fired, only dropped once :-)

Kevin in NJ 02-01-2011 12:32 PM

Getting past the idea because it is different one has to stop and think if this makes sense.

If you have a large line of traffic doing a predominate left turn it can back up the traffic at a light during peak. The left lane is never long enough so the left turn traffic can significantly reduce the flow of straight traffic.

So while we look at it and think it appears dumb, I did, but I thought about how it may help and seems like a good idea. The loss is during off peak times when you would normally flow straight through quickly.

Keep in mind that these ideas are computer modeled and run through human factors. They know people will feel off kilter at first, but as the flow rate is improved you start to like the idea. I will add that I am sure this only works under certain types of traffic flow.

So as a driver you will find higher flow rates and as a taxpayer you can see lower costs of problem resolution.

A side note, they have been removing circles here in NJ. There is a national safety study that was done. The study pointed out that circles would reduce injuries and fatalities at intersections since there is no crossing traffic.

F6Forrest 02-01-2011 04:21 PM

Being a former NJ person, I could never get the logic of jughandles-
Why go through the intersection twice?

The 5 lanes of 70 north at 34 Wall and still a jh!