The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A little wood rot around screw holes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266242)

bdtutton 07-12-2019 09:28 PM

A little wood rot around screw holes

The wood is slightly rotted around some of the screw holes in my car. The previous owner solved the problem by putting in slightly larger screws and it seems to have worked for a while. The problem is they seem to have been over tightened and partially stripped. Several of the screws are losing their grip and I guess I could replace them with yet another size bigger, but in this modern day I was wondering if there was some sort of wood putty I could put into the holes and then re-drill them back to their original size and use the original size screw.

Gary WA 07-12-2019 09:36 PM

Re: A little wood rot around screw holes

Good wood glue with hardwood plugs like match stick size or a good 2 part epoxy.

Mike V. Florida 07-12-2019 10:23 PM

Find something like "Git Rot" and soak the area to stop the rot. If possible drill out the hole after treatment and insert (glue) in a dowel. Once everything dries drill a pilot hole and insert the proper size screw.

Ray in La Mesa 07-13-2019 12:25 AM

If you have access, drill out screw hole to a dowel size, insert & glue dowel and redrill hole to proper size screw.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-13-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa (Post 1776814)
If you have access, drill out screw hole to a dowel size, insert & glue dowel and redrill hole to proper size screw.

This is what we do. Hardwood dowels are available at most local hardware or lumber stores.

taffrail 07-14-2019 09:46 AM

Get out your pocket knife and whittle up some pre cut Maple or other hard wood sticks, tap in with a good wood glue, cut off and drill with a Vix-Bit or other centering drill.
Larger or longer screws might not have the correct head.

Curtis in MA 07-14-2019 12:04 PM

Did you solve the cause of the rot first, or will the new plug rot too?

DHZIEMAN 07-14-2019 05:33 PM

I use pieces of split oak firewood from my woodpile. There are always slivers of oak loose on the logs to be pulled off in various sizes or trimmed with a pocket knife for gluing into oversize holes And good wood glue will do the job! Titebond is available her locally at Lowes.

77Birdman 07-15-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taffrail (Post 1777182)
Get out your pocket knife and whittle up some pre cut Maple or other hard wood sticks, tap in with a good wood glue, cut off and drill with a Vix-Bit or other centering drill.
Larger or longer screws might not have the correct head.

I would try this first. No need in drilling out oversize. You more than likely can find a scrap of wood laying around cut the corner off with a knife and use that as a plug. Being this will be subject to the weather (maybe) I would use tightbond III glue, which is good for outdoor use. By your description it doesn't sound like the area is rotted, if it is, then you need to go to plan B.

Synchro909 07-15-2019 05:50 PM

If you are gluing a plug into the hole DON"T use PVA glue. It will cause the screws to rust in short time.
I believe it is to do with the acetic cure of PVA but stand to be corrected on that.

Ed Wendell 07-15-2019 09:33 PM

If you decide to drill and plug with a dowl, check out Rockler Woodworkers Hardware for SCREW EXTRACTORS. Also handy to have around if you break a screw.