The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I shouldn't have even bothered.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278646)

Heard 03-29-2020 07:37 AM

I shouldn't have even bothered....

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 425729to have an engine built when I could have just bought this one that is right here in my backyard.

Joe Immler 03-29-2020 07:41 AM

Re: I shouldn't have even bothered....

Been there. Done that and got the Tee shirt. Happened to me some years ago.

Kerk 03-29-2020 08:02 AM

The engine stand looks familar. Have 2 or 3 of them! kx

Ggmac 03-29-2020 08:11 AM

Gee , only $18,000 . I bet it doesn't even include the stand .
I'm in west Palm bch, how far are you ?
After seeing your car I'm embarrassed to show you mine . Since I'm cleaning out a leaky 40' container and have way too much stuff , your always welcome to come and look .

richard crow 03-29-2020 08:55 AM

18,000 for a ford flathead eng & you wounder so meney old fords have chevy engins

Heard 03-29-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggmac (Post 1867406)
Gee , only $18,000 . I bet it doesn't even include the stand .
I'm in west Palm bch, how far are you ?
After seeing your car I'm embarrassed to show you mine . Since I'm cleaning out a leaky 40' container and have way too much stuff , your always welcome to come and look .

I may do just that after this Wuhan bs blows over. I'm sure you have some stuff I can't live without. :)

V8COOPMAN 03-29-2020 09:59 AM

Heard.....One reason that YOUR engine won't command (or wish for) $18K like that '32 engine is because the water drain outlets in your block don't point in the "right" direction. DD

RobR'35 03-29-2020 10:04 AM

With that price...... curious if its stamped number 2 through10.
Seems a real high price.

Tim Ayers 03-29-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobR'35 (Post 1867478)
With that price...... curious if its stamped number 2 through10.
Seems a real high price.

I agree 100%.

tubman 03-29-2020 10:14 AM

I will be the first to admit that I am not desirous or zealous enough to own a '32 Ford. After seeing that price (which he will get if the engine is correct) makes me glad I'm not.

RobR'35 03-29-2020 10:22 AM

I think they are very cool and all, being the first year of the V-8.
Seems many changes took place that year. It's all interesting to me. Though, I too am glad i don't have that bug.
It's the only year for the books I don't have. Yet....

Tim Ayers 03-29-2020 10:31 AM

While being in lock down, I've searched the net a bit. Now, please understand, these are from internet ads and nothing could be confirmed until standing in front of the car.

That said, I've found a few older restored '32 Roadsters going for sub $50K with supposed correct '32 motors.

I understand that is a long way off from $18K, but if you have $18K to throw at just a motor, $45K for a whole car ain't that far off.

Plus, unless you can speak to the builder and see receipts, etc., its a beer can rebuild in my opinion.

deuce_roadster 03-29-2020 11:06 AM

Hard to know if 18k is out of line without inspecting ALL the 32 specific parts, which most on a 32 engine are and knowing who did the work.. If DavidG rebuilt it with all the correct parts for where it would have been (time wise) during production I would say that is probably a reasonable price. I couldn't tell if it was a flange block from the picture but there were a LOT of changes over the production year. If it had a 4 bolt distributor and timing cover, that alone could be several thousand dollars by itself.
I didn't RESTORE my 32 roadster because it was a rusted out hulk to begin with, missing almost all 32 specific parts. If you didn't already have a correct 32 engine to start with I would think you would have 18k in one buying all the correct pieces (if you could find them) and getting the Babbitt work done. That is my guess.
Now with the value of the cars going down, might not make sense dollar wise. But if I was in this for the money I would sell all my cars now before the value goes farther down.

KiWinUS 03-29-2020 11:23 AM

WOW big money. I guess my new Babbitt rebuilt genuine 32 engine price just went up. But still waaaaayyyyyyy less than that.

rotorwrench 03-29-2020 11:25 AM

That stuff is certainly for the collector market and there are still plenty of collectors out there. I'm too cheap to do the collector thing. I'd settle for an American Stamping frame and a Brookville body. Still not cheap but a lot less than original for a DIY guy.

aussie merc 03-29-2020 11:58 PM

well you got to start somewhere and one crazy number is just as good as any other who knows in this crazy time he just might land this one