The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1940 Convertible windshield header seals (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255329)

Automotive Stud 11-27-2018 09:38 AM

1940 Convertible windshield header seals

I am having trouble finding the correct seals for the windshield header on my '40. I will be needing the seal that fits into the groove in the bottom of the header, and also the piece that goes along the outer edge of the wood header. I'm not too concerned with the piece that fits in the groove, that seems like it would be easy to match up with something generic, but if I can find the correct stuff for both that would be great.

Kube 11-27-2018 10:15 AM

Re: 1940 Convertible windshield header seals

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1700040)
I am having trouble finding the correct seals for the windshield header on my '40. I will be needing the seal that fits into the groove in the bottom of the header, and also the piece that goes along the outer edge of the wood header. I'm not too concerned with the piece that fits in the groove, that seems like it would be easy to match up with something generic, but if I can find the correct stuff for both that would be great.

The correct stuff that goes in the groove is, as you figure, pretty generic.
Dennis Carpenter has that seal. His #48-7651312 @ $8.
I am not certain what you are referring to as "the piece that goes along the outer edge of the wood header". The seal in that groove is the only seal at the front header.

Ken/Alabama 11-27-2018 05:18 PM

Got any photos of what you're referring to? The only seal is the one in the groove. There is a welt that runs across the header where it meets the body.

Automotive Stud 11-30-2018 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sure, here is a picture. It feels like a spongy rubber seal underneath the welt strip that would have to be installed with the top. I'm trying to get all of the pieces together before I have a new top put on.

Automotive Stud 11-30-2018 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fickle finger of fate...

Kube 11-30-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1700913)
Sure, here is a picture. It feels like a spongy rubber seal underneath the welt strip that would have to be installed with the top. I'm trying to get all of the pieces together before I have a new top put on.

It's difficult to tell exactly what you currently have there.
However, the fact remains there is but one seal at the front header. that being the "spongy" seal that goes within the groove.

I am only guessing but am thinking you are not planning on replacing the top? IF you do replace the top, the front bow should be covered with cloth. Also, there are rubber "bumpers" that keep the bow firmly away from the top of the cowl by perhaps 1/4". They appear to be absent in your photos.

glennpm 11-30-2018 02:00 PM

Hi Kube,

Can you tell me how the 4 bumpers are located please? I don't have them on mine either.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...c-5f39c41f693a

Regarding the "gasket". it looks like the last top had a very thick top material welting. The only gasket goes in the square grove as Kube pointed out.

Glenn

Kube 11-30-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennpm (Post 1701011)
Hi Kube,

Can you tell me how the 4 bumpers are located please? I don't have them on mine either.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...c-5f39c41f693a

Regarding the "gasket". it looks like the last top had a very thick top material welting. The only gasket goes in the square grove as Kube pointed out.

Glenn

Glenn,
There should be four recesses in the header bow that locate the four cushions. The two outboard holes are perhaps 4" from each respective end. The two inboard are perhaps 6" or so from the center of the bow.
If your bow is covered, I'm certain you could feel the "hollow" behind the cloth.

glennpm 12-01-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks Kube!

Automotive Stud 12-03-2018 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes this top is being removed and replaced. I already ordered the bumpers but I have two top bows and neither seem to have the recess for the bumpers. Also, does anyone know where to find a replacement rear wood bow? Wescott was the only place I could find them and they are on backorder until June, I plan to have this top done well before then.

Kube 12-03-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1701951)
Thanks for the info. Yes this top is being removed and replaced. I already ordered the bumpers but I have two top bows and neither seem to have the recess for the bumpers. Also, does anyone know where to find a replacement rear wood bow? Wescott was the only place I could find them and they are on backorder until June, I plan to have this top done well before then.

The repop front header bows did not have the recesses put in them. Once you have the bumpers in hand, you'll easily see what you'll need to do.