The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Manners... A new rule... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212600)

mshmodela 02-12-2017 08:15 AM

Re: Manners... A new rule...

So far, looks like folks are getting the message about be polite..;)

WestCoast 02-13-2017 03:50 PM

Ok guys, you got the message, play nice or Ryan will use the nuclear option, and I guess you all know what that is

Ryan 02-14-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshmodela (Post 1428415)
So far, looks like folks are getting the message about be polite..;)

Looking at past stats, almost 98% of reported posts were posted by only 14 people. Think about that. That's nuts... So, I started by targeting those 14 people.

Many of them were banned outright and others I let slide but started to watch very carefully. This included looking at their post history... Soon, I noticed many of these guys started editing/deleting their past offensive posts. So, I have taken that function away for a while.

Essentially, I'm smoking out the people that don't respect the joint... and, it has worked really, really well.

The rest of you guys are AWESOME.

31 Model A 02-14-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 1429511)

I always knew you liked me !!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tom Wesenberg 02-14-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Model A (Post 1429569)
I always knew you liked me !!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Don't kid yourself.............it's only for the GRIT. :D

old31 02-14-2017 11:41 PM

MMMMM, I didn't realize the report button was so valuable. It kind of gives you a sense of power.:cool:

prpmmp 02-15-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1429675)
MMMMM, I didn't realize the report button was so valuable. It kind of gives you a sense of power.:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IeD7gpvgpY Pete

old31 02-15-2017 12:25 PM

Cool video, great musician.

Ed 02-16-2017 12:40 AM

Thanks Ryan. It is really unfortunate that you have to tell people to behave. This should be common sense. However, sometimes common sense is in short supply. I have stopped posting because of the rude behavior and attacks from a select few experts. Hopefully your 3 strike rule will put a stop to this problem. I am looking forward to seeing how this new rule will put a stop to this behavior.

mshmodela 02-16-2017 06:42 AM

So 98% by 14 users.. That does not surprise me, as they say about a bad apple...It's very simple, we all like our old cars, we all wish to be treated nice, so just treat others as you wish to be treated... I'm on a few gun forums and they do not have this issue, I guess folks even in cyberspace respect a person who packs heat.. Funny our cars get hot?

Chippy Minton 02-16-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Looking at past stats, almost 98% of reported posts were posted by only 14 people. Think about that. That's nuts... So, I started by targeting those 14 people.

Many of them were banned outright and others I let slide but started to watch very carefully. This included looking at their post history... Soon, I noticed many of these guys started editing/deleting their past offensive posts. So, I have taken that function away for a while.

Essentially, I'm smoking out the people that don't respect the joint... and, it has worked really, really well.

I'd wondered what those posts about the delete button were going on about. The posts where they edited everything but a character was more like something in a junior school than what you would expect to find on a car forum populated by people with a high average age.

5window 02-17-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy Minton (Post 1430235)
I'd wondered what those posts about the delete button were going on about. The posts where they edited everything but a character was more like something in a junior school than what you would expect to find on a car forum populated by people with a high average age.

Why, Chippy, that's just some boys having fun. No need for bunching up your underclothes. Why I'm so elder that junior high's looking pretty good. Have a great day, hug some loved ones, do something nice for a stranger and wait for spring.

Mike V. Florida 02-18-2017 04:04 AM

Quote:

At least they were reporting it and not posting anything derogatory. That was your first request a few years ago, if we found something we disagreed with, don't comment on it but rather report it so you or Cob could review and take actions as you saw fit.

Little at a time I guess, a little push here a little prod there and a lump of clay becomes something good looking and useful.

Ryan 02-18-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1430944)
At least they were reporting it and not posting anything derogatory. That was your first request a few years ago, if we found something we disagreed with, don't comment on it but rather report it so you or Cob could review and take actions as you saw fit.

Little at a time I guess, a little push here a little prod there and a lump of clay becomes something good looking and useful.

They weren't reporting anything. They were being assholes and getting reported. I think you read that wrong.

I still very much want folks to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 Model A 02-18-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 1430956)
They weren't reporting anything. They were being assholes and getting reported. I think you read that wrong.

I still very much want folks to report.

Sometimes Ryan, there are individuals that have taken care of their own problems in their own way all their lives. The idea of running to someone else to take care of some asshole is unacceptable. Case in point, the thread below, this asshole (my opinion) was gone and when he came back, he started right in on me, edging me, challenging me. I continued to ignore his asinine comments to a point and then I decided it was time to confront him again...the last time I did it through PM, that was a couple of years ago, when he came back or was allowed to come back a few months ago, he came back with vengeance and it was directed at me. He's gone again now and I hope it's for good, his comments was numerous and towards many posters, his arrogance, rudeness and down right ASSinine attitude became a pest to me. With me confronting him, in my own way, I was banned because of my comment towards him directly on this thread, IMO, the ban was worth it. I'll bet a pound to a penny, he was the one who reported me. If he was, good!!!!!! I hurt the arsehole's feelings, that was my intentions!!!! Mission accomplished.........

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209932

Rex_A_Lott 02-18-2017 02:14 PM

I think its a crying shame that a grown-ass man has to "report" to Ryan or anybody else that he got his little feelings hurt by what somebody said on a message board...but its not my sandbox, and I dont make the rules, I just have to try to play by them and try to remember that I cant say what I really think most of the time. There are some VERY smart people here, but apparently a bunch of whiners also.

Chippy Minton 02-18-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5window (Post 1430510)
Why, Chippy, that's just some boys having fun. No need for bunching up your underclothes. Why I'm so elder that junior high's looking pretty good. Have a great day, hug some loved ones, do something nice for a stranger and wait for spring.

Thank God that I grew out of that level of humour decades ago! Sad.

31 Model A 02-18-2017 04:48 PM

Old Age....physically I can't stop it....mentally I can slow it down. ;) Thank God I'm a Baby Boomer with a never get old attitude.:)

Ryan 02-18-2017 04:52 PM

Honestly, if you can get your feelings hurt on a forum about old Fords, either the forum or you is doing something wrong.

It's old cars man. It's a message board. If your honor is on the line in that context, there's an issue.

Point is, I don't care to serve anyone that takes this thing or themselves THAT seriously. Nothing personal at all... internet drama and name calling and... well that stuff just isn't my thing.

Bill's Auto Works 02-18-2017 04:53 PM

If 98% were from 14 people, that says to me that there are a very large number of good people here on the Barn! I didn't check the stats but 14 is a microscopic percentage of the total number of members!