The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Valve springs/specifications for a 40 Merc (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5012)

F1 Flathead 06-14-2010 07:08 AM

Valve springs/specifications for a 40 Merc

As mentioned in another thread, I have my 40 Merc motor down for a valve job since it appears I have some valves hanging up. I'd like to check the valve springs for proper load. Does anyone have the spec? Also can I get a recommendation for buying replacements if needed? The previous owner said that he installed a "3/4 race" cam so it may not be stock. I plan to check the lift to confirm. I see that it already has adjustable lifters. Should I buy some higher load springs if the cam is, in fact, a performance version?
Thanks,
Dan

Vergil 06-14-2010 11:33 AM

Re: Valve springs/specifications for a 40 Merc

My Motors Auto RepairManual calls for ("minimum valve spring pressure, pounds @ inches, length new --- 37 @ 2 1/8")

Vergil

Bruce Lancaster 06-14-2010 11:40 AM

Ford book says "36-40@ 2.125", discard limit is 30.

Pete 06-14-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Flathead (Post 27920)
As mentioned in another thread, I have my 40 Merc motor down for a valve job since it appears I have some valves hanging up. I'd like to check the valve springs for proper load. Does anyone have the spec? Also can I get a recommendation for buying replacements if needed? The previous owner said that he installed a "3/4 race" cam so it may not be stock. I plan to check the lift to confirm. I see that it already has adjustable lifters. Should I buy some higher load springs if the cam is, in fact, a performance version?
Thanks,
Dan

If you do in fact have a "3/4" cam it might be cheap insurance to put a set of Zephyr springs in.

F1 Flathead 06-15-2010 05:26 AM

Thanks guys. It took me forever to get the LH head off last night. I hammered, Kroiled, made up some pullers that fasten into hollowed out spark plugs, even tried the old "rope trick". Finally got it off after about 3 hours. I will get the valves and spings off this week and give everything a good going over.
Dan

CWPASADENA 06-15-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 28245)
If you do in fact have a "3/4" cam it might be cheap insurance to put a set of Zephyr springs in.

I agree, Valve springs are cheap so install some new ones.

I use Zepher Springs in all my engines with a after market cams. They work very well unless you are running a full competation cam, which would be too wild for the street.

If your engine in fact does have an aftermarket cam, stock springs may not be enough.

Chris

F1 Flathead 06-15-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA (Post 28570)
I agree, Valve springs are cheap so install some new ones.

I use Zepher Springs in all my engines with a after market cams. They work very well unless you are running a full competation cam, which would be too wild for the street.

If your engine in fact does have an aftermarket cam, stock springs may not be enough.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. Where's the best place to get a set of Zepher springs?

Karl Wolf 06-15-2010 10:55 AM

Reds Headers has a repro Zepher spring, they are running fine in my 59ab... Karl

F1 Flathead 06-21-2010 09:34 AM

I checked the lift on my cam and it is nearly stock lift. I can't check duration but my guess is that it is an Isky 77 or 88, not a Max 1 or 400 Jr which both have much higher lift. I checked the valve springs and they all measure over 40 lbs at 2 1/8 inches so I think I will try and use them. The lifters and guides were all covered with a real sticky substance (old, overheated oil?). I'm thinking that my problem will be fixed when I get it all back together.

Vergil 06-21-2010 08:44 PM

Thanks for the update Flathead.

Vergil