The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My Pearl Harbor day Car show setup (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255741)

corvette8n 12-07-2018 09:27 AM

My Pearl Harbor day Car show setup

2 Attachment(s)
When I go to car shows, I use Pearl Harbor as a theme, I have 1941 music and news events playing on a WWII portable radio, and several period items displayed on the front seat and trunk. I restored a Hawaii 1941 plate for the front. I also have a one page sheet of how much items cost during 1941, this helps our younger generation get a sense what people drove during the war.

Darrell S 12-07-2018 09:54 AM

Re: My Pearl Harbor day Car show setup

I like your theme, haven't seen this done before.

corvette8n 12-07-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell S (Post 1703113)
I like your theme, haven't seen this done before.

Thanks, I also collected 1941 license plates many years before I bought my car, I have all 48 states plus Hawaii and Alaska(the most expensive to collect) and a pair of 41 NY that I run on the car as YOM plates. Still on the lookout for Hawaii memorabilia, just scored a Thanksgiving menu/program from Hickham field for the '41 event, I wonder how many men who lost their lives in the bombing were at that dinner just a few weeks before, very sad.

Karl Wescott 12-07-2018 12:54 PM

Of the 2335 service personal killed at Pearl Harbor, 2117 were sailors or marines (1177 on the Arizona and 429 on the Oklahoma) and 218 were army or aircrew. 68 Civilians were killed including three Honolulu firefighters who responded to fight fires at Hickham Field.

koates 12-07-2018 07:23 PM

Thanks, Nice display. It would be nice to think that most people today would know about Pearl Harbour but many don't . Keep the history alive because its very important for younger generations to be educated about this event. Regards, Kevin.

russcc 12-07-2018 08:19 PM

Just got through reading Admiral Nimitz biography. FDR asked him to visit Pearl Harbor after the raid. Ever optimistic he said the Japanese made fatal errors, they did not destroy the fleet fuel supply, they struck when the carriers were at sea, it was Sunday, and most of the men were off the ships on liberty, and they missed the dry docks where numerous ships were repaired which saved the time of having send them back to the West Coast. Then there was the deciphering of the Japanese naval codes, resulting in the destruction of 4 Japanese aircraft carriers in the battle of the Coral sea, the shooting down of Admiral Yammato's plane when it left Rabaul, and we were on our way to victory.

Bubsyouruncle 12-07-2018 09:28 PM

How do you death of thousands for your "dYS"?

J Franklin 12-08-2018 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle (Post 1703404)
How do you death of thousands for your "dYS"?

What?

mfirth 12-08-2018 07:52 AM

Sad that many have forgotten....... love the theme and your 41 ! m

flathead48 12-08-2018 07:58 AM

Great theme , nice to see such patriotism .