The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Tires (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192959)

41plym 04-01-2016 06:35 AM

New Tires

I ordered new set of universal brand tires from coker to pick up at Portland swap meet. When I went to pick them up, they had a big sticker on them that said product of Vietnam. I ended up buying Firestone instead, a little more money but made in the good old USA.

C26Pinelake 04-01-2016 07:19 AM

Re: New Tires

I was told three weeks ago by Coker that Firestones are made in Vietnam. I was also told a set of BF Goodrich Silvertowns I bought for the 23 Cardway a month are made in India. Wayne

marty in Ohio 04-01-2016 07:28 AM

Are you sure? I replaced Firestones last summer that said there were made in New Zealand.
Marty

SeaSlugs 04-01-2016 07:45 AM

Half the stuff out there that says "made in USA" really isn't. Every single piece is made elsewhere but assembled here, or to claim it was made here they literally have to install one screw in a product.

Plus on vintage tires they may have old molds from the US or to you know reproduce the tire they can mold it saying made in usa....

Biggest one is majority of USA flags are made in china...that one kind of urks me...

C26Pinelake 04-01-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty in Ohio (Post 1268812)
Are you sure? I replaced Firestones last summer that said there were made in New Zealand.
Marty

I am sure of what he told me and he had no reason to not tell the truth as I was asking for US made tires. Wayne

Keith True 04-01-2016 08:42 AM

I was very disappointed with the last set of Firestones I mounted.Less than one year and they were full of cracks.The car is stored in what I would call a climate controlled room.The owner has a workout room,the temp and humidity is kept at exact levels 24/7.The tires were not old,they were picked up from the tire dealer at Hershey,with the latest date code at the time.I have a set of Universals on my pickup that I installed about 10 years ago.I like the look,they are wearing like iron,and no signs of cracking.I have some 20 year old Insa's that are not wearing well,they are very soft,but have no cracks either.Somebody brought up the fact that the non-cracking tires are made in the countries that real rubber is native to,I don't know if it really has anything to do with it or not,but it sounded good.

tbirdtbird 04-01-2016 08:52 AM

Isn't there a city in China named Usa

'Made in Usa'

Tom Wesenberg 04-01-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1268874)
Isn't there a city in China named Usa

'Made in Usa'

Yep, I've also heard about that sneaky deal before.:mad:

Capt Quahog 04-01-2016 10:07 AM

Whilst you good people are on the subject of Model A Ford tires and issues of their quality and manufacture I have a couple of general questions.

As purchased last fall, my 1931 Tudor sedan came equipped with a set of four zig-zag pattern ALLSTATE 19" tires. To recollection, these type Sears ALLSTATE tires have not be offered since the 1970s or maybe 1980s.

Upon close inspection, all four of the ALLSTATE tires are in excellent condition being pliable and not at all dry. Also, using a magnifier, no cracking or surface deterioration can be found. The things are marked as 6-ply and look much better than okay.

Since this is to be a local driving around car, the original plan was figured for replacement of those tires with new ones. Instead, I will likely roll with the ancient ALLSTATE rubber that came with it.

Over on the Model T Ford forum some of those hardy souls boast about driving their Tin Lizzies on ancient rubber tires dating back to the early 1950s.

So the question is . . . .when were ALLSTATE tires for the Model A Ford cars last manufactured and sold?

Capt Quahog 04-01-2016 10:17 AM

Whilst you good people are on the subject of Model A Ford tires and issues of their quality and manufacture I have a couple of general questions.

As purchased last fall, my 1931 Tudor sedan came equipped with a set of four zig-zag pattern ALLSTATE 19" tires. To recollection, these type Sears ALLSTATE tires have not be offered since the 1970s or maybe 1980s.

Upon close inspection, all four of the ALLSTATE tires are in excellent condition being pliable and not at all dry. Also, using a magnifier, no cracking or surface deterioration can be found. The things are marked as 6-ply and look much better than okay.

Since this is to be a local driving around car, the original plan was figured for replacement of those tires with new ones. Instead, I will likely roll with the ancient ALLSTATE rubber that came with it.

Over on the Model T Ford forum some of those hardy souls boast about driving their Tin Lizzie's on ancient rubber tires dating back to the early 1950s.

So the question is . . . .when were ALLSTATE tires for the Model A Ford cars last manufactures and sold?

H. L. Chauvin 04-01-2016 10:24 AM

In not trying to start a "White Wall/Black Wall" preference discussion, Coker answered my question that they have no intentions of making Model A "Whitewall" "Radial" tires in the near future.

However, a few gentleman wrote a few weeks ago about the extra long life, superior softer ride, and far better road traction "Safety" after installing Model A Coker "Radial" tires on their Model A's.

One can also read several articles on the internet describing the major differences between the "Bias" tires most of us order from Model A Parts Suppliers and the more expensive Coker "Radials".

After recently hearing a few complaints on "newly" purchased Model A tires, (even though the "Radials" cost quite a bit more), it may be interesting for some contemplating "new" tires to hear a few more comments from those Model A owners who have switched to "Radial" tires.

Patrick L. 04-01-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Quahog (Post 1268927)

Over on the Model T Ford forum some of those hardy souls boast about driving their Tin Lizzie's on ancient rubber tires dating back to the early 1950s.

So the question is . . . .when were ALLSTATE tires for the Model A Ford cars last manufactures and sold?

We put of set of Sears Allstates on the A in the late 70's, I doubt it was the early 80s, and they have been on since with no issues [ knock on wood]. Those things just don't wear out. They are pretty hard though.

I'm thinking seriously to changing to radials since I like what I've been hearing about them. They have been talked about quite a bit here lately. But, there seems to be a possible wheel width issue.

H. L. Chauvin 04-01-2016 10:48 AM

FWIW: Just one (1) opinion:

Something else seldom discussed, while on new tires.

I have about fifteen (19) "original" Model A wheels which I tested for wobbling ...... only (1) passed the less than 1/8" test.

1. Can anyone imagine the accuracy of our much discussed accurate front end toe-in alignment, while using most of our similar wobbling original wheels?

2. Can anyone imagine setting an accurate recommended plus or minus 1/32" toe-in setting for front end alignment with our wobbling wheels which change measurements as the wheels rotate?

3. Can anyone imagine accurate camber testing with our wobblers?

4. Couple our wobblers with the often mentioned "Model A curtain rod front end alignment" and we are wondering why our Model A tires do not last as long as our modern cars with straight, non-wobbling wheels which have been accurately aligned.

Maybe something to consider prior to purchasing "new" tires ??????

Great Lakes Greg 04-01-2016 11:03 AM

There was a story a number of years ago about Wards Riverside tires made in China. It seems they were held up for a time at customs because the side walls were stamped Made in U.S.A., as original. Could be a myth, but it is certainly believable.

Jeff/Illinois 04-01-2016 11:15 AM

Zig zag Bedfords here,,, from the late 70's. Same tire as Garfields and Sears uglier than Oprah in a two piece swim suit but the dang things won't wear out:eek: No cracks anywhere and really not that hard car is always stored inside out of sunlight.

Keith True 04-01-2016 12:04 PM

I don't know if I've ever seen a Garfield(Sears) wear out.I have a set on my Tudor that were installed in the late 60's or early 70's.After it sat in my cellar for 4 or 5 years I had it out driving around the yard.I thought one looked a little low,it turned out to have 5 pounds in it.I have some old Wards Riversides on my roadster,I really like those the best,but they're not made anymore.

C26Pinelake 04-01-2016 12:13 PM

I was told that when the off shore company purchased the molds that many had a Made in USA engraved In the mold. That might account for some of the confusions! Wayne

2manycars 04-01-2016 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My brother has my father's car, and it has the Sears tires that have been on it since the 70's. They are nylon cord tires, and are as good as when new. The only down side is that on a cold day, they seem square for a mile or so until the tire heats up and the flat spot from parking is made round again.

C26Pinelake 04-01-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1269075)
My brother has my father's car, and it has the Sears tires that have been on it since the 70's. They are nylon cord tires, and are as good as when new. The only down side is that on a cold day, they seem square for a mile or so until the tire heats up and the flat spot from parking is made round again.

They may look as good but let me assure you they are not safe! 40 plus year old tires are a recipe for injury and accidents. Hopefully someone will tell him how unsafe they really are. To suggest otherwise is foolhardy. Wayne

DougVieyra 04-01-2016 02:41 PM

tbirdtbird; post #5: "Isn't there a city in China named Usa ?"

Anybody been to MOSCOW ?

. . . . How far is it from BOISE ?

Unfortunately for me, I have been a 19" & 21" tire collecter (some say 'hoarder') since 1955, so have a quite a few tires from the 1930's, '40's,'50's & '60's. I believe that by the end of the 1970's, both Wards and Sears had stopped selling their 19" & 21" tires.

In the 1950's & '60's, when a young lad, there were only two easily available tires to choose from for my '28 Chevy, and later my '28 Ford - The SEARS ROEBUCK "Allstate" and the Montgomery Wards 'Riverside'. I NEVER liked the tread design of the Sears Allstate, but really did like the Wards Riverside. I put Wards Riverside tires on all my cars.

So I don't have any experience with Allstate, but I can tell you that after 50 years, my Wards Riverside tires still look good. But I like my Goodyear 'Diamond Tread' tires from 1950 best of all. As has been said earlier; good old fashion MADE IN AMERICA - and RUBBER !