The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water pump replace (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268439)

Clem Clement 08-25-2019 09:53 PM

Water pump replace

I think I have brakes set! Now to Water pump changeout: Bolt in the inlet pipe slipped on a socket. Tried 9/16". Then 15mm(slightly big and 14 mm (slightly too small.) Acts like bolt head corners are worn. There was junk around it which I cleared with contact spray. It feel like I can reach in the hole and rotate the lock washer. Would WD40 help? I can't get a grip.

Lawrie 08-26-2019 01:26 AM

Re: Water pump replace

Clem drive a smaller socket onto the remains of the bolt, metric ,whitworth or AF what ever
also you can hit the end of the bolt with a punch, that will loosen it and swell the head to fit a socket.

Lawrie

Talkwrench 08-26-2019 01:53 AM

Damn straight WD40 would help ..or anything else like that.. Spray away !

Bill S 08-26-2019 04:47 AM

Never used these but maybe these might work. From Northern Tool.
Grip-Tite Super Socket Rounded Bolt Removers — 7-Pc. SAE Set, Model# 00111

big job 08-26-2019 05:00 AM

As Lawrie said bang a socket or one of those 'fit all' sockets the one with all those
fingers. Now with one hand on the ratchet bang the pump housing - good weight hammer counter clockwise the pump will move about 1/2 inch. That bolt usually freezes up at the
pump not the block. Some so bad we stuck a end mill in a drill and milled off the head
of the bolt then wiggled the pump off. Piece a cake with the engine out. sam

Ggmac 08-26-2019 05:45 AM

Are you using a good quality 6 point socket ?

Clem Clement 08-26-2019 11:35 AM

Thanks all. I tried several 9/16 sockets
Kroil now in work

Bill S 08-26-2019 12:03 PM

How about these?
https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-B...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

JSeery 08-26-2019 02:09 PM

Some on here have had good luck with the external extractors.

Karl Wolf 08-26-2019 03:24 PM

My favorite:
Center punch the head of the bolt.
Use a 3/16" or so drill to make a pilot hole.
3/8 or slightly bigger drill,
You're trying to get just far enough to drill off the head,
Remove water pump,
Use vise grips on remnant of bolt.
After hitting it with hammer, lube.

Karl

supereal 08-26-2019 04:10 PM

We just weld a nut to the broken bolt, and back it out. The heat of the process almost always shakes the bolt loose.

Clem Clement 08-26-2019 07:45 PM

This is the bolt inside the water jacket. I'm thinking I have to remove the radiator to get at it.

mhsprecher 08-26-2019 08:36 PM

I wish I had filmed the process on my 45. Probably darned similar to what you have.

I had no problem getting the ones inside the water jacket out, but I replaced them with stainless steel once the pumps were out, for the benefit of the next person to try it.

Clem Clement 08-26-2019 10:16 PM

I hate cell phones: I'm upside down, with one eye working as my right eye has a cataract developing, no light, holding a mirror for a shot of the bolt head and after several tries I get the line up just right and all I have left to touch the button is my fingernail which does not trigger the camera. I finally got it after 23900730670982405235 snaps of my face, rust and darkness...

Some of the bolt edges look rounded. I wonder if a 17/32" socket will work? 14mm does not. I tried steel wool in the socket: no good.

WD-40 on the job

JSeery 08-27-2019 08:37 AM

WD-40 is not the best selection for a penetrating oil, that is not what it was designed to do (WD stands for Water Displacement). Might try a real penetrating oil and see if it works any better.

big job 08-27-2019 09:19 AM

Looks like no progress, I know its a tough place to work, last resort saw zall air cut off
wheel AC torch it yes cast doesn't cut well with a torch, but then there is a annual cutter
looks like a hole saw and then a 1/2 inch holes saws with drill and blow right through the
pump leaving whats left for a vise grip / 1/2 hole saw, hardware with carbide tip like a grinder will go right through the housing now the pump is junk why save it...Or then drill
a lot of holes in the area and smack it in pieces. Now we have a stuck bolt and a little
bit of the housing NOW you can work on it vise grip heat I never believed in snake oil since I was born its heat and lots of it.

big job 08-27-2019 09:36 AM

snake oil ? these things need heat lots of heat. curious why save the pump its junk;
sawzall the neck drill holes smack it break it down air cut off wheel rules, and then find
a hole saw and drill over the bolt through the pump housing. now pump gone now grab
the rest of the housing is gone then vise grip to whats left of pump (bolt and now washer)
bring it here 15 minutes job done: sam

god gave us brains, now use them

Clem Clement 08-27-2019 09:43 AM

Thanks.

Emmit51 08-27-2019 10:50 AM

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, followed the suggestion to get a set of extractor sockets and had the rounded bolt out in less than a minute

Darrell S 08-27-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1792308)
This is the bolt inside the water jacket. I'm thinking I have to remove the radiator to get at it.

I don't know if you have to remove your radiator but removing mine on the 48 sure made it accessible. I don't think I could have done it with the radiator in place.