The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Extremely Frustrating Change in Fuel Consumption (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272611)

Slopey1939 11-14-2019 12:36 AM

Extremely Frustrating Change in Fuel Consumption

Suddenly after getting 14 to 15 MPG with my 39 Ford Fordor Sedan Deluxe my mileage suddenly dropped to 7. Initially thought it might be the carburetor that gave me good service (one rebuild) for 20 years. Found out it was cobbled together from 3 carbs. Anyway, I replaced it in the event it was causing the problem with a 91-99 rebuild. Same issue with no improvement. Burning extremely rich with black soot out of the tailpipe (no smoke) and new spark plugs being black with soot after 40 miles.
Any ideas out there?
Appreciate any help,
Dave

Tinker 11-14-2019 01:25 AM

Re: Extremely Frustrating Change in Fuel Consumption

Low compression will effect efficiency. I'd look at the fuel jets also and the 94 power valve.

If you feel confident on the parts and ability rebuild it yourself. Think charlieny is the goto for 94s

Slopey1939 11-14-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1821050)
Low compression will effect efficiency. I'd look at the fuel jets also and the 94 power valve.

If you feel confident on the parts and ability rebuild it yourself. Think charlieny is the goto for 94s

Carburetor is a new rebuild. Thanks for information.

Tinker 11-14-2019 02:04 AM

Going on vague info. Rebuilt does not rebuilt right. Best of luck!

Lawrie 11-14-2019 02:18 AM

Read my post on increase in fuel use from a while back on our 33,
Lawrie

koates 11-14-2019 06:22 AM

What air filter or cleaner are you running ? Could be partially blocked. Check your brakes that they are not dragging and are adjusted correctly. Is the rebuilt carb really rebuilt or just cleaned up with a gasket kit fitted, that's not rebuilt. Some new power valves do not seat properly and need to be faced in a lathe. Float level could be too high. Regards, Kevin.

chap52 11-14-2019 07:15 AM

Don't know where you are located? If you are in the "frozen North" it is a good time to send the carb off to CharlieNY for a rebuild. Charlie Schwednler (716) 662-9159.
Great fair and honest guy that knows those 94's... Chap

JSeery 11-14-2019 09:55 AM

If it is burning rich then there is too much fuel vs air. That just about means that the carburetor is suppling too much gas or the air flow is being blocked. Might be too much fuel pressure into the carb, but odd that would occur after working ok in the past. So try it with the air cleaner removed and eliminate that possibility. If that is not it, then most likely it is a carb issue. New/rebuilt does not equate with correct.

Tim Ayers 11-14-2019 03:34 PM

If this is new problem, have you checked the ignition system? Possibly a bad condenser?

Have you also checked that the air cleaner isn't clogged up?

Ggmac 11-14-2019 04:51 PM

All above plus possible running too cold , winter fuel blend ?

philipswanson 11-14-2019 08:23 PM

Tires inflated properly? Muffler collapsed inside? Fuel leak(s)? Dragging brakes? Dwell and timing correct? Proper heat range on plugs? :confused:

Phil Swanson

Slopey1939 11-16-2019 12:58 AM

Been off line for a while. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will read through them now.
Dave

Mart 11-16-2019 04:46 AM

Ruptured power valve.
Wrong power valve.
Incorrect power valve gasket.
Warped housings allowing vac leak affecting power valve.

Just some of the many things that could cause an over rich condition.