The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Float-A-Motor mounts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177221)

stillwater 09-02-2015 06:12 AM

Float-A-Motor mounts

I am putting a B engine/B trans in my 30 pickup. I have heard that the mount I need to use is a Float-A-Motor mount. However I have heard some concerns from a few folks that the Float-A-Motor mount is not believed to be a safe way to mount the drive train in my truck.

Does anyone have some advice for me, one way or the other on this subject?

If this is not a safe way to mount it all up, any ideas on what is?

denis4x4 09-02-2015 09:09 AM

Re: Float-A-Motor mounts

F-A-M are the best things since sliced bread.

No, they will cause frame sag and your crank handle won't line up

There, I've condensed the F-A-M discussion into a single post!!!!

Mike V. Florida 09-02-2015 10:24 AM

Denis hit it on the head.

Jim Brierley 09-02-2015 10:51 AM

F-A-M also eliminate some of the rigidity of the A frame.

CarlG 09-02-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1149583)
F-A-M also eliminate some of the rigidity of the A frame.

Soooooooo, is that a good thing? or not?

Mitch//pa 09-02-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlg (Post 1149587)
soooooooo, is that a good thing? Or not?

bad

Bruce 09-02-2015 11:56 AM

We've had FAM on our Roadster Pickup for 17,000 miles. Our Roadster has been more than 20,000 miles with FAM. The Station Wagon just hit the road in May with Model A original style engine mounts. It now has 2,600 miles.
I have to admit that I can tell no difference in the performance ... or rigidity ... of any of those 40,000 miles.
It is easier to install an engine with FAM's.

Mitch//pa 09-02-2015 12:24 PM

i notice a difference in frame flex when lifting an A on a two post that has FAM vs original

2manycars 09-02-2015 12:41 PM

I have had floaters on my tudor for many years, and have had no adverse effects. If the frame flexes, I dont notice nor do I care. The car has not fallen apart in that time.

hardtimes 09-02-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1149638)
I have had floaters on my tudor for many years, and have had no adverse effects. If the frame flexes, I dont notice nor do I care. The car has not fallen apart in that time.

HEY....are you saying to ignore the 'evidence' :D !
NEWS FLASH:
1930 from Henry Ford....the Model A frame is the most flexible on the road....ever:eek: !!!

If you really want IT to be inflexible , weld in the V8 donut type motor mounts at the bell housing !

As far as reading the FAM are 'BAD'....an old saying comes to mind, i.e.- don't believe anything you read, some of what you see and none of what you read...or some such. You get the idea, use facts and your computer (between your ears).

Y-Blockhead 09-02-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1149664)
NEWS FLASH:
1930 from Henry Ford....the Model A frame is the most flexible on the road....ever:eek: !!!

If you really want IT to be inflexible , weld in the V8 donut type motor mounts at the bell housing !

As far as reading the FAM are 'BAD'....an old saying comes to mind, i.e.- don't believe anything you read, some of what you see and none of what you read...or some such. You get the idea, use facts and your computer (between your ears).

Haha, good one Hardtimes.

How about this one;

"Don't believe everthing you hear. There are always three sides to a story, Yours, Theirs and the TRUTH..."

Mitch//pa 09-02-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1149664)
NEWS FLASH:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1149687)
Haha, good one Hardtimes.

How about this one;

"Don't believe everthing you hear. There are always three sides to a story, Yours, Theirs and the TRUTH..."

right on fellows:)

stillwater 09-04-2015 10:56 AM

Okay, got it.

jfreddie 09-04-2015 12:29 PM

I have two A's, one with FAM, one orig.

Both ride the same.

The one with FAM I can watch the shifter/brake levers move slightly while the car is moving over bumpy road and feel no vibration.

The other original car shifter/brake levers don't move at all anytime, and I can feel vibration at some speeds.

I'd say the difference is the FAM.

duke36 09-04-2015 05:31 PM

Years ago, the FAM "instructions" called for allowing the rubber biscuits to be slightly moved by hand, i.e.,not over compressed. I've never figured out the correct thru- bolt/nut tightness. Any thoughts on this?

Henry1953 09-04-2015 05:32 PM

My FAM allowed the motor to shift far enough forward to prevent the removal of the front oil pan screws. I had to go back to the original. I don't feel any difference in the ride. I would not use a FAM if I were you.

Indiana A. Lover 09-04-2015 05:54 PM

I just installed my 31 A motor and trans this afternoon, had to drill 2 holes in front cross member. That is the hardest part of swap. Have not driven car so can not pass judgement yet. Can not wait. Don in Indiana.:D

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-04-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover (Post 1150856)
I just installed my 31 A motor and trans this afternoon, had to drill 2 holes in front cross member. That is the hardest part of swap. Have not driven car so can not pass judgement yet. Can not wait. Don in Indiana.:D

Don,
Remember to enlarge the holes in the crossmember, so the bolt doesn't transmit vibrations from the engine. I used a "UNI-BIT", from below. If someone criticizes you, tellim' to stick it in their LEFT EAR!-- P.M. me if you have any other questions.
Bill W.

VFRhugh 09-04-2015 06:56 PM

I had to pull my engine for a little main brearing work. I put it back in today. I don't know about anything structural or vibration but I'm working by myself and the motor mounts were a non-issue.
Hugh

Tom Wesenberg 09-04-2015 11:30 PM

If the engine can move forward or rearward a little, then the rear axle moves by the same amount. If the rear axle moves, then the rear brakes will also be affected by the movement, if you are stepping on the brake pedal.