The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   chrome stripping? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278955)

Ron Pilger 04-04-2020 09:08 PM

chrome stripping?

with shops in limited supply and/or shops closed due to the current world crisis, is it possible to strip decades old chrome with any sort of home brew/technique?

Hitman 04-04-2020 09:28 PM

Re: chrome stripping?

Sand blasting.

Ron Pilger 04-04-2020 09:40 PM

sandblasting won't cut this stuff; tried a variety of substrates. 'Should add this chrome is on 36 3 window moldings so can't use too much pressure.

whizzernick 04-04-2020 09:54 PM

why do you want to strip ?

Ron Pilger 04-04-2020 09:59 PM

in areas it is flaking and peeling. i want to try my hand at woodgraining the dash and moldings.

95476 04-04-2020 10:54 PM

I ran across this a while back. There aren't many shops left and those that are still around in my area do not want to be bothered.
I media blasted my parts and removed all the loose chrome. I then applied several coats of high build epoxy primer on the parts and sanded them smooth. It came out fine.

cas3 04-04-2020 11:38 PM

google it up. there are youtube videos of guys doing it. not electrolysis like rust removal with a battery charger, they are using a welder for power

Lanny 04-04-2020 11:53 PM

Have you tried Muriatic acid ?

Ron Pilger 04-05-2020 08:39 AM

have not tried muriatic. i'm being cautious towards damaging fairly precious moldings.

Dave Slater 04-06-2020 04:36 AM

Try household white vinigar so long as the chrome is pealing somewhere on the item. Should take about 3 to 5 days. Keep your eye on it and don't leave it in too long. It will remove the rust at no extra charge.

Ron Pilger 04-06-2020 07:47 AM

Will try. Thx Dave Slater

woodiewagon46 04-06-2020 08:56 AM

I collect coins and a few years ago I purchased a box of miscellaneous coins. In the box was a belt buckle with a silver dollar that was chrome plated. I removed the coin and placed it in a jar with muriatic acid. It took about 5 days but removed all the chrome. Now remember, that the coin is silver and not steel, so I don't know if the steel will be harmed.

51woodie 04-06-2020 09:30 AM

A word of caution about muriatic acid. I used muriatic acid when I was working on motorcycle or small engines that suffered a piston failure, where aluminum was fused from the piston onto the steel cylinder liner. The acid would dissolve the aluminum with no affect on the steel liner. So be cautious using muriatic acid to strip any casting that is aluminum. It might work, as I have never tried it, but you may end up with a damaged part.

Lanny 04-06-2020 10:54 AM

I agree with 51 woodie, that Muriatic acid works great to clean the Small
amount of aluminum from the steel cyl walls of small engines.

I would like to say, do NOT use Muriatic acid to clean aluminum.

I put a small aluminum part in a quart can of Muriatic acid to clean the part.
Very quickly, the acid started eating the aluminum and filled the room with
smoke.
I had to get out of there, as it was like Tear Gas and burned the eyes to the
point that I had to feel my way to get out of the room.:eek::eek::eek:

So be careful, that NO aluminum is on the part you want to clean...

1952henry 04-06-2020 11:31 AM

Do not use muriatic acid if the chrome part is pot metal. It will pit it. If left long enough there will be nothing left.

Hitman 04-06-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pilger (Post 1870246)
sandblasting won't cut this stuff; tried a variety of substrates. 'Should add this chrome is on 36 3 window moldings so can't use too much pressure.

The guy that plates my stuff has no problem blasting it off with glass beads. I do the same and have no issues.

JSeery 04-06-2020 01:25 PM

I had a local shop de-chrome some parts for me about 3 years ago.

Dave Slater 04-06-2020 04:40 PM

I took a 1933 dash panel down to the chrome shop and he stripped the old chrome off in the bath literally in three minutes. Since I was going to get it plated after doing the repairs he didn't even charge me for the stripping.