The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My wife hates crankshafts... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278224)

flatheadmurre 03-20-2020 01:49 AM

My wife hates crankshafts...

3 Attachment(s)
So in theese days i thought you may need a laugh...
When iīm to busy running around in the shop loosing track of time my sweet wife usually comes down with a cup of coffee and a cookie and tells me time to sit down...
So she did yeasterday to...but a customer dropped a crankshaft outside the door and she tripped on it and coffee was history...strike one.
So back up to the house she went and got a fresh cup for me...this time avoiding the cranky trap outside the entrance...all well that far :)
Then chatting with me for a while she manage to bump into another crank in the shop...and gravity makes the crank and her foot go on a date she didnīt apreciate...now my daily coffee is seriously threatened...
Ended up her foot was fine with a few scratches but she loudly stated that there will be a clean up and safety improvement before any more deliveries :o
So iīm on clean up duty in the weekend :D

Ol' Ron 03-20-2020 05:41 AM

Re: My wife hates crankshafts...

I wonder if you have any of the 53 Shrll molded ones? I've only seen a few of them. Ford converted their crankshaft castings to a "Shell molding process" for the Y block. I;ve had several one de stroked to 3 5/8 small journal. Wonder if they ever made any 4" cranks using this method.

JM 35 Sedan 03-20-2020 06:12 AM

That looks like a crankshaft obstacle course :) It's a wonder to me how she was ever able to deliver any coffee and cookies in the past without tripping :D ;)

Kube 03-20-2020 08:10 AM

It hurt a little but just last week I threw a number of nice prewar cranks away. I got tired of looking at them and no one seemed to want them for just the cost of shipping.

Seth Swoboda 03-20-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1864019)
It hurt a little but just last week I threw a number of nice prewar cranks away. I got tired of looking at them and no one seemed to want them for just the cost of shipping.

I teared up reading this. Careful not to touch my face of course.

corvette8n 03-20-2020 09:48 AM

Maybe you could build a multi level wooden rack to hold them all, or get your wife some steel toe shoes, lol.

flatheadmurre 03-20-2020 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The crankshaft rack is pretty full to...
And the ones on the floor is on their way to be ground and then out the door...itīs just my pace that is not keeping up :o
Steel toes for the wife sounds scary...i know where they will make a mark :D

tubman 03-20-2020 12:02 PM

OH NO! Now you've done it! We're probably gonna get into the vertical vs. horizontal crankshaft storage discussion again.:eek:

Heard 03-20-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1864116)
OH NO! Now you've done it! We're probably gonna get into the vertical vs. horizontal crankshaft storage discussion again.:eek:

I'd lay all those on an angle just to be safe. :D

V8COOPMAN 03-20-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heard (Post 1864124)
I'd lay all those on an angle just to be safe. :D

Didn't I hear that you have some sort of new "shiny" layin' around? DD

flatheadmurre 03-20-2020 03:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cranks get stacked in every way around here :D
OlīRon i still have a few EAB replacement cranks that have the different parting lines from casting...you need one destroked/stroked of choice itīs yoursas a sign of apreciation for years of guidance !!

Heard 03-20-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1864129)
Didn't I hear that you have some sort of new "shiny" layin' around? DD

Yep. Hopin' to take a closer look at that thing this weekend.

woodiewagon46 03-20-2020 05:05 PM

Flathead, I feel you wife's pain. In December, I just finished putting the motor in my Model A. I was disassembling the hoist and took the bolt from the end of the piston and was balancing the top beam on my shoulder. I was just about to remove the rear bolt and the piston assembly swung down and landed directly on my big toe. If the ram was out 4", it would have missed and if it was retracted 1", it would have also missed. My toe was in the exact place that it shouldn't be. Off to the emergency room and x-rays showed the end of the bone broken off. Accidents happen!

Lawrie 03-20-2020 05:12 PM

Yes, last week a friend dropped over a rusty 8ba, so to get it off his pickup we used my abby hoist,Like a dunce I was only wearing my sandals and while manoeuvring the hoist and engine inside my shed my toes went under a wheel on the hoist ,lucky on a big bruise
Lawrie

Brian 03-20-2020 08:10 PM

Murre, you're lucky she only hates crankshafts; my wife hates all my 'crap'. She wouldn't bring a coffee out to my shed, rather she'll yell out from the safety of the house that's coffee's made, and I must go fetch!

JM 35 Sedan 03-20-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1864021)
I teared up reading this. Careful not to touch my face of course.

Seth, I can almost feel your pain.... I'm betting that amongst those trashed prewar crankshafts was the one you'd been searching high and low for, for such a long time, and finally just gave up hope of ever finding one ;)

Pete 03-20-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1864116)

Hee hee, I knew that was going to be mentioned.
Picture this. A friend of mine had a crank grinding shop in the 60's. His store room was about 20 x 30 ft. 2 aisles down the long way. Concrete floor. 300 plus cranks neatly stood on end in rows so they could be easily reached from the aisles. Some of these cranks are big ones like D8 and D9 Cat and EMD locomotive crank sections. A VERY large type earthquake comes along. Every one fell over and only 50% were salvageable due to dink marks in the journals. (the ultimate domino game and he saw the whole thing)

By the way, Mure, my crank rack looks just like yours except it has no cranks in it right now and my wife won't bring me coffee but she WILL bring me a beer at 1700.

uncle buck 03-20-2020 09:28 PM

She can always bring me coffee and cookies. I promise to practice “social distancing” and clean up my stray crankshafts

Tinker 03-21-2020 01:30 AM

when you build a building, build it to what you need then add 30%.

Kube 03-21-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1864315)
Murre, you're lucky she only hates crankshafts; my wife hates all my 'crap'. She wouldn't bring a coffee out to my shed, rather she'll yell out from the safety of the house that's coffee's made, and I must go fetch!

I feel blessed. My wife appreciates my hobby. She has her horses - I have my cars.
We are both driven to achieve perfection in our respective hobbies. So, although vastly different (hobbies) the drive is identical.