The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277258)

whirnot 02-26-2020 07:30 PM

Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

See link:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/151865...32540970401788

David R. 02-27-2020 07:41 AM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

I wonder how hard it was to get all the shot out?

Keith True 02-27-2020 08:11 AM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

I thought everybody did it that way.It was what I always saw when I was a kid,and have been doing it myself ever since.Because of a shelving factory that used to be here,every old garage has bags of 1/4-20 square nuts hanging around.Pour a pound of them in a tank with some muriatic acid strap it to a wheel and let it run.I've heard people say you can't get them all out,that's just not true.It's just that the last one will take you about 5 minutes.I strap the tank to the wheel with the instrument panel side against the wheel.That way it scours the top of the tank,and that's where I find the most rust to be.I've been an equipment/tractor mechanic all my life,and would have to do this a couple dozen times a year.Small tanks,like for the Cat and John Deere pony engines I would tape up in rags and use a cement mixer.Same thing with motorcycle tanks.

big job 02-27-2020 08:50 AM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

Cement mixer 3/4 stone, some tuff stuff and let er rip.

whirnot 02-27-2020 09:16 AM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1856393)
I thought everybody did it that way.It was what I always saw when I was a kid,and have been doing it myself ever since.Because of a shelving factory that used to be here,every old garage has bags of 1/4-20 square nuts hanging around.Pour a pound of them in a tank with some muriatic acid strap it to a wheel and let it run.I've heard people say you can't get them all out,that's just not true.It's just that the last one will take you about 5 minutes.I strap the tank to the wheel with the instrument panel side against the wheel.That way it scours the top of the tank,and that's where I find the most rust to be.I've been an equipment/tractor mechanic all my life,and would have to do this a couple dozen times a year.Small tanks,like for the Cat and John Deere pony engines I would tape up in rags and use a cement mixer.Same thing with motorcycle tanks.

I thought about the nuts, but was afraid I might not get them all out. So I used 10 pounds of BB steel shot, and 10 pounds of #6.
I was planning on turning it like you explained and doing it again. That's funny, I never heard of this being done before, thought of it all myself.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-27-2020 09:18 AM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirnot (Post 1856270)

Nice tractor Bill!! :D


I realize you only indicated this method would make it better and not perfect, but I would definitely offer a challenge to you. Open it up where all of the insides can be seen to verify the rotating method does get all of the rust inside.

:cool: If you are apprehensive about cutting it open, I will make an offer to you. Send me the tank and I will cut the tank open in the factory welds while videoing it with a GoPro. This will show what the inside of the tank looked like and then I will weld the tank back together and send it back at no charge. I will let you post the video showing how effective your process was.

whirnot 02-27-2020 06:19 PM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1856415)
Nice tractor Bill!! :D


I realize you only indicated this method would make it better and not perfect, but I would definitely offer a challenge to you. Open it up where all of the insides can be seen to verify the rotating method does get all of the rust inside.

:cool: If you are apprehensive about cutting it open, I will make an offer to you. Send me the tank and I will cut the tank open in the factory welds while videoing it with a GoPro. This will show what the inside of the tank looked like and then I will weld the tank back together and send it back at no charge. I will let you post the video showing how effective your process was.

No, this method does not get all the rust. I really didn't think it would. It does knock off all the loose stuff, and removes a good portion of the rust. If this was a fine point restoration, I wouldn't consider it, but I feel that it will take care of the majority of the issues. I will do a triple rinse, then run a fuel filter for 6 months or so.
It does look far better than my other two A's and that have no issues. It looked really bad when I started. In fact it appears that someone had a tank in the bed for a while.

DBrer 02-27-2020 07:14 PM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

That looks like a good idea to me.

California Travieso 02-27-2020 07:44 PM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirnot (Post 1856608)
No, this method does not get all the rust. I really didn't think it would. It does knock off all the loose stuff, and removes a good portion of the rust. If this was a fine point restoration, I wouldn't consider it, but I feel that it will take care of the majority of the issues. I will do a triple rinse, then run a fuel filter for 6 months or so.
It does look far better than my other two A's and that have no issues. It looked really bad when I started. In fact it appears that someone had a tank in the bed for a while.

Whirnot,

You should take Brent up on his offer. Won’t cost you anything except the shipping, then no worries.

David Serrano

Purdy Swoft 02-28-2020 05:39 PM

Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank
 

I agree !!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.