The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Worn out 31 roadster value? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259473)

Flathead 02-20-2019 01:10 AM

Worn out 31 roadster value?

A friend is trying to buy a 31 Deluxe Roadster and asked me what I thought it was worth, never an easy answer. I looked at it with him but I don't have pictures. The car has not run in at least 20 years, unrestored but it is complete. Engine is cracked and seized, top and interior are bad, Fenders are dented and have some cracks, has old brushed on paint job. Car is worn out and should have everything done over, but might "drive" with a motor replacement and some tinkering.
Any thoughts on what he should offer for it?

Keith True 02-20-2019 07:45 AM

Re: Worn out 31 roadster value?

I sold one for somebody that sounds like that,in your area too.I priced it at $6500.and was swamped with calls.I advertised it in the morning,sold it at noon,and that evening it was stripped to the bone.It is now a street rod.He even gave me the running gear back,minus the frame.There were no prizes in that pile,you could shave with the ring gear,trans gears.

Brian in Wheeling 02-20-2019 08:45 AM

I'd say OFFER around $3,000 to start the conversation. Maybe more but I'd have to see it.
Brian

Gary WA 02-20-2019 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
$4767.99 Good Price!?

DD931 02-20-2019 10:28 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

katy 02-20-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

A friend is trying to buy a 31 Deluxe Roadster and asked me what I thought it was worth,
What's the asking price?

Purdy Swoft 02-20-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Wheeling (Post 1728838)
I'd say OFFER around $3,000 to start the conversation. Maybe more but I'd have to see it.
Brian

I agree with Brian .

Flathead 02-20-2019 12:36 PM

Thank you gentlemen for you help! One problem is that there is no asking price, the owner has only recently decided to part with it and has not set a price. If my friend can get it it will stay stock and not be stripped for a hot rod.

Tacoma Bob 02-20-2019 12:39 PM

If you got it for free start adding up the cost for even a halfazzed restoration. You will quickly find out it's cheaper to buy turn key. Unless of course you have loads of time and money AND mechanical aptitude.

Flathead 02-20-2019 01:31 PM

I agree Bob, the plan would be to swap the motor and do the minimum to make it safe for local use. No cosmetics other than a good cleaning, blanket for the seat and maybe a new top. All work to be done by us. Of course the first step is to make a realistic deal for the car.

DD931 02-20-2019 02:28 PM

Pics when you can?

john in illinois 02-20-2019 05:18 PM

^^^^^ x2 Tacoma Bob

John

jm29henry 02-20-2019 05:38 PM

I am in the position that I would like to own the car and not let the car own me !!! However restoring a car Correct is never cheap. I would, make a budget and see if the numbers make scene?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-20-2019 06:46 PM

Funny how the answers for 'what is the value' have gone from that, to "offer them XXX" or "buy a better one". On the other hand, -if just an engine change and a few other trivial repairs is all that it takes to make it safe to drive locally, ...then it probably is not all worn out either. ;)

The truthful answer for this question likely can only be answered by a legitimate Buyer -and likely not the rest of us who are not in that geographical area to know true value nor are we really motivated about purchasing this item. If the Seller asks the Buyer to offer him 'fair market value', we all know that something under $5k is not a fair price when a talented restorer, a street rodder, or TROG-type participant will give more.

Keith True 02-20-2019 07:04 PM

Location is a big factor.The price for a car in Iowa or Oklahoma has no bearing on a car in N.H. or Maine.In Southern Maine that car will bring a good price from a street rodder.i find the A guys will want to figure out everything it needs,price having it all done,and subtract that from the value of the car.They figure the seller should contribute to the cost of their restoration.The rod guys will just look at it,decide if that body is worth it to them,and pay the price.I sold an unrestored barn coupe to a rodder,the A guys thought because it needed a complete restoration it was worth $3000.The rod guy paid $8000.

Jeff/Illinois 02-20-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1729002)
Location is a big factor.The price for a car in Iowa or Oklahoma has no bearing on a car in N.H. or Maine.In Southern Maine that car will bring a good price from a street rodder.i find the A guys will want to figure out everything it needs,price having it all done,and subtract that from the value of the car.They figure the seller should contribute to the cost of their restoration.The rod guys will just look at it,decide if that body is worth it to them,and pay the price.I sold an unrestored barn coupe to a rodder,the A guys thought because it needed a complete restoration it was worth $3000.The rod guy paid $8000.

Good advice and wow, $$ talks. The rodders will pay really good money for a '30-'31 Roadster. These cars seem to always have a demand for them. Cheaper than a good '32 Ford and basically they are the same style anyway, the '32 was a Model A carryover until Edsel and Bob Gregorie re-designed it all for '33. 1932 was a transition year and almost all the good ones are long gone:eek:

Mikeinnj 02-20-2019 08:43 PM

A 30-31 repro steel roadster body costs $7000.00 plus crating and shipping charges.
I'm sure an original body in good shape would bring more than that.

Step-down 02-21-2019 08:42 AM

I see a mint roasted body on e bay asking $8K

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-21-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeinnj (Post 1729031)
A 30-31 repro steel roadster body costs $7000.00 plus crating and shipping charges.
I'm sure an original body in good shape would bring more than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step-down (Post 1729112)
I see a mint roasted body on e bay asking $8K

So hypothetically, if an original body that needs a lot of work is worth at least ½ the money of a new body, --plus you are buying a 'core' running gear for parts,, you are getting a top, upper stanchions & frame, a gas tank --and a title, how close are we to the $3,000.00 figure?? :eek: :confused: :D

N97323 02-22-2019 01:37 PM

I think the real question is "Do you want the car or do you want the project"? It has been my observation that most people just want the car and that is fine, they should just buy something in their budget that they can drive away and enjoy. But if they want a project well there is a lot of parts here to start with. If you start buying it a piece at a time $3000 seems cheap, but what do I know?