The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Float-a-Motor Mount Install Issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236398)

BillCNC 01-01-2018 07:50 PM

Rear Float-a-Motor Mount Install Issue

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Guy's

I'm installing Rear Float-a-Motor Mount's,, … well I WAS, and wondering why these simple part's cannot be made correctly OR … well someone else might have a better idea than I.

Mounts on the bottom of the inside frame rail, angle forward, all parts are as per instructions, … NOPE, … FAIL, … All bolt holes are to high. Look at the pictures, it's the same on both sides.

SO, … what are the options?

a. Wonder why the heck 3 simple holes cannot be drilled correctly.
b. Modify the Parts to fit.
c. Modify all the holes in the frame and mounting plates on an 87 year old car.
d. Call up CW Moss and ask them what's up?

Regards
Bill

1955cj5 01-01-2018 08:54 PM

Re: Rear Float-a-Motor Mount Install Issue

The answer is d.....Call them in the morning for sure....

Something obviously isn't right. I would not start drilling....

I put a set on from Bert's and they fit fine...

burner31 01-01-2018 09:17 PM

I received float-a-motor from santa this year, to cold to install, will be watching this tread to see what happens.
Have not looked in the box yet, now I just hope I can sleep.

Y-Blockhead 01-01-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1573598)
Hey Guy's

I'm installing Rear Float-a-Motor Mount's,, … well I WAS, and wondering why these simple part's cannot be made correctly OR … well someone else might have a better idea than I.

Mounts on the bottom of the inside frame rail, angle forward, all parts are as per instructions, … NOPE, … FAIL, … All bolt holes are to high. Look at the pictures, it's the same on both sides.

SO, … what are the options?

a. Wonder why the heck 3 simple holes cannot be drilled correctly.
b. Modify the Parts to fit.
c. Modify all the holes in the frame and mounting plates on an 87 year old car.
d. Call up CW Moss and ask them what's up?

Regards
Bill

THAT's the problem right there. I avoid CW Moss and Vintique as much as possible...

Y-Blockhead 01-01-2018 10:40 PM

Some other examples of their wonderful parts...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=39496

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=39495

Bill Cilker 01-01-2018 11:19 PM

The rubber part that goes between the frame and the Float a motor should be L shaped (A-5092). The same piece as used for original motor mounts. This will raise the FAM and the holes should line up

Mike V. Florida 01-01-2018 11:28 PM

YUP the answer is "D".

duke36 04-19-2018 07:43 PM

There is only 1 rubber pad between the FAM outer plate and frame, no rubber pad inside the frame as shown in Brattons new redesigned kit, which fits very well. The key to the design are the new donuts ,which probably should be replaced every 5 years or so. One should compare all the vendors' kits to select a preference.

marty in Ohio 04-20-2018 07:05 AM

I read this post a couple times before I realized what Duke suggested. I've owned my car for about 25 years and it was restored MANY years before me. It has the Float-a-motor and I've never touched the donuts. Will new ones make a difference? And how so?
Marty

WHN 04-20-2018 07:20 AM

Good orginal motor mounts. 90 years, if there not broken why fix them?

denis4x4 04-20-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty in Ohio (Post 1619886)
I read this post a couple times before I realized what Duke suggested. I've owned my car for about 25 years and it was restored MANY years before me. It has the Float-a-motor and I've never touched the donuts. Will new ones make a difference? And how so?
Marty

Have FAM in two cars replaced the rubber last year after 18 and 14 years respectfully. Old rubber was harder than a hocky puck! Well worth it to use new rubber.

Growley bear 04-20-2018 07:53 AM

c) is NOT an option. If you modify the part then the warranty is null and void. If you enlarge the holes in your frame then that is a can of worms best left unopened.

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-20-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growley bear (Post 1619896)
c) is NOT an option. If you modify the part then the warranty is null and void. If you enlarge the holes in your frame then that is a can of worms best left unopened.

I saw an OUTHOUSE, with SQUARE HOLES! I "guess" the builder didn't take GEOMETRY???
Bill Uncomfortable

Railcarmover 04-20-2018 10:12 PM

That's an interesting lower bracket.
https://i.imgur.com/8dtQUj4.jpg?1

earlier ones had a mild steel bracket and the aluminum donut holder.

Mike V. Florida 04-20-2018 10:27 PM

I wonder what he did?

marty in Ohio 04-21-2018 06:45 AM

Well, Railcarmover started me to thinking about the Float-A-Motor on my car. As near as I can determine it was restored more than 45 years ago. I can's even see the rubber donuts and the cap on the top is printed ANTIQUE and Rosemead, Calif. Does that make any sense to anyone?
Marty

Keith True 04-21-2018 07:42 AM

That one is a first for me.All the directions I've seen say the lower bracket mounts directly to the frame,NO rubber on the inside.You did use the rubber between the outside plate and the frame though.I have a set on a truck that that was parked with them in it in 1954,when my uncle went in the service.Those are all steel,no aluminum.I had a bunch or partial sets of rubbers around because I had to buy a whole set and rob just the outside piece.Somewhere along the line at least one of the vendors started selling just the outside piece for people who were using floaters.

V4F 04-21-2018 07:51 AM

this is no help , but I found putting in new ones can be a chore . mine have no problem going in & out . the set that was so much work were new ones on another car . I had to use a punch the get the holes to line up . lots of patience & reading the instructions often .
good luck

burner31 04-21-2018 12:19 PM

I used some longer bolts then the one supplied, once I got the bolt thru the mount and frame, and the washer and nut on I tightened them up and everything went together as designed.
I found the supplied bolts to be about 1/4 inch to short for ease of installation.

daveymc29 04-21-2018 01:21 PM

have a set with Rosemead Antique printed on them. Just replaced the rubber pads. Took 45 minutes with no issues. The old pads were hard as rocks and 1/8 inch compressed.