The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whitewall tires (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46011)

bigmaxum 08-27-2011 11:36 PM

Whitewall tires

Does anyone know a good way to bring yellowing white walls back to bright white?

modeleh 08-28-2011 12:01 AM

Re: Whitewall tires

plain old mineral spirits on a rag works pretty well and is cheap too.

Dusty 08-28-2011 12:01 AM

Westley's Bleach White.

Bob Johnson 08-28-2011 12:08 AM

Blue Coral 500 Westley's Bleche Wite

Geo. H 08-28-2011 12:54 AM

Best way I've found is to buy BF Goodrich tires. They don't yellow.

hardtimes 08-28-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo. H (Post 263428)
Best way I've found is to buy BF Goodrich tires. They don't yellow.

George,
DITTO...Coker...so far (six yrs)!

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-28-2011 02:54 PM

The guys at Coker strongly disapprove of using Wesleys for some reason. I think it has something to do with removing the oils. They have some sort of cleaner/preservative they sell for less than $10 that is supposed to work great but I have never purchased or used any of it.

We are restoring a 1905 Cadillac that has all while smoothie tires and they were all yellow when the car came in. We wiped/scrubbed them down with Go-Jo hand cleaner and used a steam cleaner to bring them sparkling white however over time (a year) that have started showing signs of turning brown again. Maybe just nature of the beast or maybe the Go-Jo removed some of the oils??

Steve Ciccalone 08-28-2011 05:16 PM

Burn them and put blackwalls on.

Michael in Sedona 08-28-2011 06:07 PM

I have good results with Simple Green and a nylon scrub brush. Mine are 7 year old Firestones.

Steve Wastler 08-28-2011 06:16 PM

I agree with Steve, best way to keep white walls on a model A clean, don't use them!!!!

bobpo 08-28-2011 07:59 PM

Mike in Sedona has it right. The nylon brush with the Simple Green does wonders for my SIX (6) Firestone whitewalls. They also ride like a dream, and are very quiet. (definitely below the sound of the loud muffler......!!!!)

Great little Show Car and Crowd Pleaser...... now if I could just get the lights working again.....?????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::mad:

Ron Lowe 08-29-2011 07:42 AM

Harley Davidson makes a white wall cleaner that works very well. Ron

Ralph Round rock 08-29-2011 08:58 AM

SOS pads work fairly well. I, also use Magic Eraser for small jobs. I think you will like the results.
Ralph

bobpo 08-31-2011 09:31 PM

Did our 1st Cruise-In this evening at Wendy's. Definitely Kool. It just happened to be the last of the season.

Headlights work fine now that I replaced the right front socket. Came home after Dark with no problem. Even had the Sheriff folow us (My wife and myself) for a couple of miles. :):):D:o:p:eek::rolleyes:

ryan1929 09-01-2011 01:56 AM

Spray 9 cleaner works great for cleaning white walls>>>>makes them look like new

dumb person 09-01-2011 02:44 AM

White paint might work as long as the car never moves and the tire pressure never changes after the paint is dry

hardtimes 09-01-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmaxum (Post 263410)
Does anyone know a good way to bring yellowing white walls back to bright white?

Ok, yesterday took of the wheels and experimented with Westleys White Wall Bleach and also Simple Green products.
Found that using a combination of BOTH did a very good job of cleaning the rubber and whitening the whitewalls.
BUT, did one with Simple Green alone and one with Westleys alone....Westleys did a better job overall , when use alone. Oh, Coker tires experimented on.

Bob-A 09-01-2011 01:01 PM

Many years a go my father and I bought an older restored '29 Model-A phaeton that had double sided 21" Coker whitewalls. We could not get the yellow out no matter what we used:eek:. I called Coker an (after laughing and telling how long ago they sold the tires) they said to use wet & dry sandpaper on the "yellow"walls to make them white again. We used mostly 400 and 600 paper with some 320 thrown in to speed things up sometimes. Oh' and running water too. It worked for a while, but the walls started yellowing again not to long afterwards:(.

Bob-A:D

Scott NY 09-01-2011 01:08 PM

Do not have that problem with my blackwalls. Model A's all should have blackwalls I agree with Steve

Jason in TX 09-01-2011 02:04 PM

I think most people here are discussing the cleaning of dirty whites, not yellowed whites. I think you'll need the Bleeche White for yellowed tires.

I used the bleeche white once and it totally dried out and cracked my white walls on a '48 Plymouth I owned long ago.

I still sometimes use it, but I now immediately put a tire gloss on the cleaned white wall to keep the rubber moisturized.

Primarily though, just use a scrub pad and some dish washing soap, or stronger would be simple green.