The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Welding a bumper (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296539)

rockfla 03-29-2021 11:22 AM

Welding a bumper

Anyone welded on a "original" Ford bumper?? IF so what wire/rod did you use?? Anything special?? A 35/36 in particular

JWL 03-29-2021 11:39 AM

Re: Welding a bumper

Yes, I used 7018 Lincoln electrodes.

Brian 03-29-2021 12:45 PM

Eutectic 680

51 MERC-CT 03-29-2021 02:02 PM

Nothing special, all I have ever used for TIG /MIG or Gas welding is ER70S carbon steel weld wire.

rockfla 03-29-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2001672)
Nothing special, all I have ever used for TIG /MIG or Gas welding is ER70S carbon steel weld wire.

I figured the "original" bumpers would be more of a "spring type" steel? I have an "easy grind" .025 general purpose steel wire in my rig now, I just didn't want my "fill welds" popping off!!!

51 MERC-CT 03-29-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2001676)
I figured the "original" bumpers would be more of a "spring type" steel? I have an "easy grind" .025 general purpose steel wire in my rig now, I just didn't want my "fill welds" popping off!!!

Definitely not spring steel.
Only thing to consider is removal of chrome plating in the area of the weld.

Baggs 03-29-2021 02:38 PM

I assume your going to have it chromed? If so, weld it up but don’t try to grind it down before taking it in, let the chrome shop do it. If you’re going to paint it then get after it.

rockfla 03-29-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baggs (Post 2001681)
I assume your going to have it chromed? If so, weld it up but don’t try to grind it down before taking it in, let the chrome shop do it. If you’re going to paint it then get after it.

I have an old bumper that most all the chrome is off of that I need to fill in the two rabbited feature lines in and make it smooth........SO was gonna spot weld an inch or two and move and wait awhile before continuing along the whole bumper as not to build up too much heat. Taking to a "potential" chrome shop for grinding is near impossible for me as there in not a "good" chromer within 8 hours drive of me SO.......ANYWAY I'll start by welding them in first!!!

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!

Baggs 03-29-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2001691)
I have an old bumper that most all the chrome is off of that I need to fill in the two rabbited feature lines in and make it smooth........SO was gonna spot weld an inch or two and move and wait awhile before continuing along the whole bumper as not to build up too much heat. Taking to a "potential" chrome shop for grinding is near impossible for me as there in not a "good" chromer within 8 hours drive of me SO.......ANYWAY I'll start by welding them in first!!!

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!

There ya go. Weld it with what you have and paint it up. It’s not like it’s going to do much help in a crash;)

G.M. 03-30-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2001676)

Vee out both sides of the joint and remove the chrom for 1/2" on
all 4 sides of the weld areas. I would preheat the weld areas.Tack weld
the bumper together and thin down the tacked area with a grinder'
Position the pumper so you are welding down hill at at a little better
than a 45 degree angle. Weld and grind smooth. I think if you heat
the welded area to cherry red and quinch in ice cold water it will
have the spring back in it. Use MIG G.M.

woodiewagon46 03-30-2021 09:19 AM

Make sure you grind off all the old chrome before you weld it. Use a respirator for both the grinding and welding as chromium can be harmful if inhaled.

34PKUP 03-30-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.M. (Post 2001905)
I think if you heat
the welded area to cherry red and quinch in ice cold water it will
have the spring back in it. Use MIG G.M.

The bumpers are not spring steel but are malleable.
Any heating and quenching will induce an unwanted embrittlement and cause shrinking.

51 MERC-CT 03-30-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 2001945)
The bumpers are not spring steel but are malleable.
Any heating and quenching will induce an unwanted embrittlement and cause shrinking.

Yep' the only thing I ever do is heat the weld area to a dull cherry red and let air cool to normalize the weld. (but not always)

ActionYobbo 12-02-2023 06:04 PM

Ok so I read this post and start working on my 1939 bumper and it shattered. My bumper has extra holes where something was bolted on. Before welding up the holes I put it in the press to push a dent out and the bumper shattered like I was trying to bend glass.
YMMV but it seems this bumper is very brittle so now I have to weld it back together but in my experience with steel like this (bed frame angle iron) it will crack right at the weld.
Do I persist of try and find another bumper?

cas3 12-02-2023 07:08 PM

I have always thought bumpers are spring steel, and don't take kindly to welding. Like welding a leaf spring, usually breaks. perhaps heat it cherry red first to take out the hardness.

DavidG 12-02-2023 09:10 PM

The bumpers through at least through the 1936 variety are definitely spring steel. That's why they are a challenge to straighten once bent.

38convsedan 12-03-2023 10:50 AM

Does 38 Deluxe passenger bumper fit 39 1 ton express??

Kube 12-03-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2273959)
The bumpers through at least through the 1936 variety are definitely spring steel. That's why they are a challenge to straighten once bent.

Yes sir, and through at least 1940.

deuce_roadster 12-03-2023 04:10 PM

Rely on DavidG and Kube's comments as they are true.

Ray in La Mesa 12-03-2023 05:32 PM

I've found that using bed frame rail is a nightmare too, hard as heck & hard to weld too.